Help me get out of flip phone hell.

I have the best of the desk top computers, phones and other electronics. Well, they were when I bought them in around 2004. I have a flip phone,I use it more for emergencies. Mostly I use my land line. But due to the corona thing. my doc is doing "video visits". With my flip phone, I can't do that. She will have to use my land line. My computer doesn't have a camera. So maybe, just maybe..... I might be a little behind the times. Maybe a new phone? I just get so confused on 5G this, and wide band that. I want a phone to call people, and get on the net. Help me get out of flip phone hell. What kind of phone and plan should I get? BTW, it's just me, so I don't need a bunch of phone. Thanks

Oh, I LOVED my old flip phone! My kids shoved me kicking and screaming into the 21st century! "Mom! It's not 1959 anymore!"
My son bought me an Iphone. Still dubious! But, You can take pictures, you've got the time and date, weather, apps, calculator, maps; lots of stuff! Oh! You can use it as a phone too! Sorry I can't help you as to which type to get or which company is best, but it sounds like you're ready to make the switch! Someone on here, wiser than me ,can help you with that part!

I have the best of the desk top computers, phones and other electronics. Well, they were when I bought them in around 2004. I have a flip phone,I use it more for emergencies. Mostly I use my land line. But due to the corona thing. my doc is doing "video visits". With my flip phone, I can't do that. She will have to use my land line. My computer doesn't have a camera. So maybe, just maybe..... I might be a little behind the times. Maybe a new phone? I just get so confused on 5G this, and wide band that. I want a phone to call people, and get on the net. Help me get out of flip phone hell. What kind of phone and plan should I get? BTW, it's just me, so I don't need a bunch of phone. Thanks

JMHO, but I think you'd do better to just get yourself a tablet computer.

Either a small 7" or a 10".

Use Skype or better yet, Facebook Messenger video chat.

No monthly fees or data plans, etc.

All you need is wifi internet in your home.

Probably easier to just buy a Webcam Camera (plugs into USB port)t is highly advisable to shop for a webcam with an integrated microphone. Whilst this is not essential, it will save you the hassle of setting up and running a separate mic.

JMHO, but I think you'd do better to just get yourself a tablet computer.
Either a small 7" or a 10".
Use Skype or better yet, Facebook Messenger video chat.
No monthly fees or data plans, etc.
All you need is wifi internet in your home.

That is what I was thinking , too. If you are used to your phone and it does everything that you need for calling, then get a tablet. they all have cameras, and it is larger for you to use and get used to having a newer smart-device.
You might even discover that you enjoy not having to sit at your computer desk every time you want to go online, and it is nice to just relax in your favorite chair and watch a movie with your ipad.
Unless you are going to do a lot of typing, the regular virtual keyboard will work fine, and if later you decided that you want to do more typing on it, you can get an external keyboard that works just about like the keyboard for your computer.

I totally recommend an iPad, because I have had one and love it; but a cheap and easy option might be to just get a Chromebook. They work with Google Chrome, and operate like a laptop, and price starts at under $200, for the basic model.
Shop around (maybe online because of stores being closed right now), and see what appeals to you. Watch some YouTube videos about any tablets , phones, or laptops that look like you might like it, and you. Should get a good idea of what will work for you.

That is what I was thinking , too. If you are used to your phone and it does everything that you need for calling, then get a tablet. they all have cameras, and it is larger for you to use and get used to having a newer smart-device.
You might even discover that you enjoy not having to sit at your computer desk every time you want to go online, and it is nice to just relax in your favorite chair and watch a movie with your ipad.
Unless you are going to do a lot of typing, the regular virtual keyboard will work fine, and if later you decided that you want to do more typing on it, you can get an external keyboard that works just about like the keyboard for your computer.

I totally recommend an iPad, because I have had one and love it; but a cheap and easy option might be to just get a Chromebook. They work with Google Chrome, and operate like a laptop, and price starts at under $200, for the basic model.
Shop around (maybe online because of stores being closed right now), and see what appeals to you. Watch some YouTube videos about any tablets , phones, or laptops that look like you might like it, and you. Should get a good idea of what will work for you.

I was thinking more along the lines of an Android tablet.

Somewhat cheaper and you have access to the best apps which are in the Google Play Store.

And they also run Google Chrome.

All the advantages you mentioned about relaxing in your chair and the keyboard issues etc, are 100% agreed.

Thank you. I really appreciate the help. I'm not sure what to buy. This is probably basic and dumb. Say,I buy "x" phone, with all the cameras, etc. Now, what do I buy to get on the net? I feel like I've been living under a rock, what do I need over basic phone service?

I think you can buy cell phone service with what they call a "data plan".

The word "data" just means internet.

I'm not sure what data plan rates are, but I think you'd spend a lot less buying a 7" Samsung Android tablet and just use the wireless internet or "wifi" (rhymes with high fi) in your home. If you don't have wifi (wireless internet) in your home, you could contact your internet provider and have them install it.

IMO you don't need a pricey smartphone and a pricey monthly plan to do what you want to do.

Plus, with a small 7" tablet, you can take it with you to restaurants, stores, doctors offices, etc, and use their free wifi.

Just don't do your online banking or other sensitive stuff. (y)

Back