High heels? At my age?

Re-reading my post Holly, perhaps I came across a tad too assertive, A bit of a know all because I can dance. Forums are new to me, slowly but surely I am beginning to realise that how I write something is just as important as what I write. We can only communicate by the written word, all the other ways we communicate when face to face are lost. The body language, eye contact, minute nuance, none of that we can see. I will be more careful in future.
Your post was fine, I didn't read it as assertive at all.

We're all pretty easy going around here...no reason to fret over the small stuff. đŸŒ·

I still have a few pairs of high heel shoes, although aside from an inch and a half or so on sandals, I really can't tell you the last time I wore shoes with high heels. OTOH I do more occasionally wear High heel boots... both ankle and knee length..

IMG-0020.jpg
Me-white-trews-HD.jpg

Have you ever noticed on a TV show, women walking across the set or stage wearing high heels, can't even stand up straight as they walk? It's not really an attractive look. Now a short heel or flats gives them the ability to actually stand up straight as they walk.

I did smile at first at the video but then thought "did someone really record someone having trouble walking and posted it on youtube?" I find that really distasteful. I'm ashamed for having smiled at it in jest. I have trouble walking sometimes and would hate for someone to record me and post it on the internet, regardless if they thought they knew the reason. I'm almost positive it is the heels, but who am I to judge? Maybe that girl could only afford cheap heels that are difficult to walk in. Maybe she is a sex trade worker on her way to a job and she does that for a living because she was abused as a child and has low self esteem, or is a sex traffic victim. I worked in police services for years and can tell you sex trafficking happens a LOT more than most people know. Some may say my questions why she may be doing it are off the wall, but my point is, who knows the reasons. Not us. This video sort of reminds me of the time I saw a photo on the internet of someone who had taken a picture of an older womans wrinkled bottom in the gym change room and posted it on the internet with a rude comment. I remember thinking "oh great, that could easily be my bum and there some jerk is, taking a photo of someone's body and shaming them". We never know a persons reason for walking the way they do, even if we are positive we know the reason.

Ballroom shoes have one drawback, they are designed for the ballroom floor. The soles are made of a compressed composite that allows the dancers to slide easily across the ballroom floor. Step outside in those shoes and the soles won't last long and if it's wet, they won't last more than a few minutes. That's why, if you have ever seen dancers going to their dance class or other function, they carry a small pouch like bag. It contains their dance shoes.

All is not lost however. There are dance shoes that can be worn in the street, further more, if traditional high heels are a problem, you might consider the more solid Cuban heel. You can still look "sexy" in that type of heel. There are so many variations, see here: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=image+of+ladies+cuban+heel+dance+shoes&t=crhs&iax=images&ia=images
Just looked at some of those and a few are very lovely indeed. I may just go back to wearing a heel on occasion.

There was a time in my life when I liked to strut it and show it all off. That's when I wore high heels and hung out my boobs. Now I think, why would I want to do that? I also got rid of my dresses. I am comfortable where ever I am and what ever I'm doing. I stopped hanging it out when I was 40, and it still all looked good at that time. Women dress this way for a variety of reason. For me it is was a matter of outgrowing the need to have someone lust after me. Now, before I'm misunderstood for this, these are my thoughts about me. I am not applying them to anyone else.
It must be us Oregon girls because when I turned 50 I could have cared less to "dress to impress" anyone other than my husband. I still see women in their 80's trying to look 40 and wonder why. My idea of "high heels" these days are about a 1 inch heal but flats are my favorites!

I am a tall, large (2x) woman that loves to dress up. I always wear dresses but have trouble finding “sexy” or at least fancy enough heels to wear with fancier dresses. I can wear high heeled boots with my dresses in the winter, but when I’m at a fancy dinner it’s nice to have some sexy strappy shoes to go with my pretty dress.

I have rarely been able to walk in heels, and find as I get older it’s more difficult, especially with extra weight on me.

I’m also in Canada, where we don’t have as large a selection to choose from as in the States. I can likely find what I need online but shipping and returns can be a royal pain.

Have any ladies here found suitable, comfortable heels to wear with dresses?
At my age "high heels" have the same draw as "bikini". Ain't happening. :ROFLMAO:

I guess it's probably a scientific fact that wearing high heels can make a woman's legs look slimmer and if she's wanting to attract someone, that might work. But why the heck then don't we make men wear high heels too?! Why don't they have to have better looking legs? (And actually I think men were the first to wear 'em anyway, in France back in the 18th cent.)

Back