HIstorical Figures & Celebrities You Probably Thought Were White

OneEyedDiva

SF VIP
As has been discussed on this forum before, the Black race has not only brown skinned people but several shades, including "white". But really if we ever saw anyone who's skin was truly white, wouldn't we be concerned about them. LOL Anyway, these prominent historical and more modern day celebrities have been at one time or another thought to be Caucasian, but they are not. Among them, Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, Ludwig Beethoven, Carol Channing Alexander Hamilton, Clark Gable, musician Slash (of Guns & Roses) and ironically J. Edgar Hoover. Their Blackness is defined by the "One drop rule". We as Black people were made aware of the One Drop Rule early on. We're also very aware of the term "passing for White" or simply "passing". From Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-drop_rule
"The one-drop rule is a social and legal principle of racial classification that was prominent in the 20th century in the United States. It asserted that any person with even one ancestor of black ancestry ('one drop' of 'black blood')[1][2] is considered black (***** or colored in historical terms). It is an example of hypodescent, the automatic assignment of children of a mixed union between different socioeconomic or ethnic groups to the group with the lower status, regardless of proportion of ancestry in different groups.[3]

This concept became codified into the law of some U.S. states in the early 20th century.[4] It was associated with the principle of "invisible blackness"[5] that developed after the long history of racial interaction in the South, which had included the hardening of slavery as a racial caste system and later
segregation."
Read the article HIstorical Figures You Probably Thought Were White here:
https://www.pensandpatron.com/lifestyle/historical-figures/
There are many more celebrities that could "pass" but they are not listed here.
@Pecos

Last edited:
I have no idea what it says about me but the title of the thread caught me off guard. When I read it all I could think was that I don’t recall ever wondering or being curious about who was mixed race or who had “black blood” (what a horrible term!)

I am embarrassed to say that it probably shows my white privilege that I have never given it a moment’s thought. 😖

Back