History of the Wet Suit (for That Guy)

Thanks for thinking of me, Breeze. Know the O'Neil family well and spent a lot of time with them in the water. I get my suits tailor made by a guy in town.

Very good! I figured you always had to wear a wetsuit. When we camped near the Oregon Coast around Newport, we loved to hang out on the beach, but the water was super cold, and nobody was swimming. Do you wear the suit all summer long?

Yeah, the further north ya go it just gets colder and colder. My friends from up the coast think we have it made down here . . .

As the suit developed there came along all sorts of thicknesses of neoprene and styles. Some are very thick with a hood for winter and others are thin and short in the sleeves and legs for summer. When the weather is nice, a lot of macho, hardcore guys don't bother with a suit. Me? Since I prefer going out before the sun rises, a suit is my preferred attire year round. In the dead of winter, I wear a vest underneath. If it's icy cold I'll add booties and gloves.

Hypothermia is no joke. When you stop shivering and get giddy, it's time to head for shore. Trouble is . . . you've stopped shivering and are giddy so . . . numb is dumb and ya just keep on surfin'...

In olden "daze" there was always a fire on the beach and the guys would sit around drinking wine under the ancient misconception that alcohol keeps you warm. My mom always made me stay away from them...

Actually, a wetsuit isn't really supposed to keep you warm. It's meant to keep you alive. A good suit should fit close to the skin and let in just a tiny bit of water to be warmed by the skin and create some insulation. That's why I have mine tailored. Of course, duck diving a good sized wave or getting axed will give you a nice cold water flush to brighten your mood...

Then . . . there's the guys surfin' in bonafide ice water.

tumblr_mcoql8s9SP1rj8l50o1_500.jpg

Back