Hitch hiker

Many times I would have been glad to give someone a ride, but considering all the ugly things that happen every day, I'd rather not take any chances.

Years ago, a friend told me this story about she picked up a hitchhiker and ended up in jail.

She was driving to Los Angeles and just west of Oaklahoma City at a truck stop she saw a young girl standing by the exit holding a sign that said LA. It was snowing, and she looked so cold and was going to LA, she decided to give her a ride. The girl seemed so nice, they talked most of the afternoon and it was snowing harder so she decided to stop for the night. Since the girl didn't have enough money for a room my friend got a double and let her stay with her. Everything seemed ok, they talked for a while and went to sleep. About 3 in the morning there was a hard knock on the door, then a man said "Police". My friend looked around and the girls' bed was empty she called out thinking she was in the bathroom. By then the knocking was harder and the policeman said open up. She said just a minute till I get dressed. When she let the police in he pointed out the door and asked if she was with that girl in the backseat of the police car. My friend said yes, then policeman said you're under arrest. They took her to the station in separate cars and they booked her stating she was being charged as an accessory to prostitution. She later found out the girl had watched people check-in and marked the rooms with men alone. Then she had gone from room to room offering sex and had already serviced four men when the police arrived and arrested her. To get out of jail, my friend had to post a bond of $500; it took her lawyer two months to get her name cleared and her money back. The lawyer cost her $2000.

Back