Hobbies... Everyone Needs One! So What's Your Favorite?

88FE414E-57C2-40FB-B47A-AF860DC1EA50.jpg
Heres the wood duck
20A2646C-A77B-409F-BDC5-2C34DDCBA216.jpg
Baltimore Orieole
CD0A39F8-F63E-4AAF-AD43-0C540399E0A6.jpg
Downy Woodpecker

Hes been carving since he was a little boy. He used to use the Ivory soap bar at his grandmothers house and made it into dogs and other animals and apparently she never once complained. It always kind of chokes me up when I think of it.,
Unfortnayeky these pictures don’t show the feather detail. He’s done some great kestrels too.

View attachment 63853
Heres the wood duck
View attachment 63854
Baltimore Orieole
View attachment 63855
Downy Woodpecker

Hes been carving since he was a little boy. He used to use the Ivory soap bar at his grandmothers house and made it into dogs and other animals and apparently she never once complained. It always kind of chokes me up when I think of it.,
Unfortnayeky these pictures don’t show the feather detail. He’s done some great kestrels too.

Wow thats gorgeous. That takes a lot of whittling practice I would estimate. ��

FB_IMG_1553173252212.jpg

This is the potting bench I built 5 years ago. Since then its been destroyed by rain over,the years. So i dissembled it and burned it. But i kept my antique bird rack shown in the center. It actually matches close to the doors on my studio.
FB_IMG_1553173505531.jpg

Yes it takes him a while to finish one but he uses the bandsaw and strollsaw to shape them first. Then uses both small power tool , knives and a wood burning to create feather detail. The detail up close is quite remarkable.

Hes is the only one who carves these. A lot of projects we do together but these ones he does all by himself.
Ill tell him you liked them.

I was just going to ask you to add something you made.
Thats terrific. You do great work.
Did you seal it after adding the colour?
Speaking of colour; that’s a gorgeous colour.
Do you have your own tools?

Years ago before we moved to the country my husband and I took a woodworking course together. The first project we made together was a rocking horse for my brothers baby girl; my niece.

You must have posted at the same time as me
F14901EB-6D93-4A2B-85BD-F4C36B409E32.jpeg

Needlepoint

1403171_3693643316093_2104434402_o.jpg

Yes it takes him a while to finish one but he uses the bandsaw and strollsaw to shape them first. Then uses both small power tool , knives and a wood burning to create feather detail. The detail up close is quite remarkable.

Hes is the only one who carves these. A lot of projects we do together but these ones he does all by himself.
Ill tell him you liked them.

He is amazingly talented!

I recently started a new hobby, which, so far has been tremendous fun! It's called Diamond Dotz, or Diamond Painting. Here's my second project:
58818390_10205752242921724_3856049242103611392_n.jpg

Now I'm working on something a bit larger for a friends great grand baby.

I was just going to ask you to add something you made.
Thats terrific. You do great work.
Did you seal it after adding the colour?
Speaking of colour; that’s a gorgeous colour.
Do you have your own tools?

Years ago before we moved to the country my husband and I took a woodworking course together. The first project we made together was a rocking horse for my brothers baby girl; my niece.

You must have posted at the same time as me
View attachment 63860

It would take the patience of Job to make this, plus talent.

Wow thats gorgeous. That takes a lot of whittling practice I would estimate. ��
He has had much whittling practice. When he was a young boy he used to carve his grandmothers ivory soap bars into dogs and various things. She loved them.
He is amazingly talented!
He is very talented and mostly self taught. He used to whittle cartoon charactures and I convinced to try carving birds since we both loved them so much. His first cardinal he carved he gave to my mom for her birthday and she loved it. He now hates that bird because he can pick out all the mistakes he’s made.
It would take the patience of Job to make this, plus talent.
This was the first big item we made together and we gave it to my niece as a birthday gift.
He gives a lot of things he makes away. Last Christmas he gave some things away to family members that weren’t as well received as he would have liked but it’s more because they were too old to use them. I think it hurt his feelings some which I probably shouldn’t mention. :eek:nthego:
Thank you

Unfortunately I couldn’t watch these but would have liked to.

I recently started a new hobby, which, so far has been tremendous fun! It's called Diamond Dotz, or Diamond Painting. Here's my second project:
58818390_10205752242921724_3856049242103611392_n.jpg

Now I'm working on something a bit larger for a friends great grand baby.
This is very pretty. You must have excellent dexterity.

View attachment 63853
Heres the wood duck
View attachment 63854
Baltimore Orieole
View attachment 63855
Downy Woodpecker

Those are outstanding....

crocheting and running a knitting machine and needle point---my daughter gave me another knitting machine for mothers day-now to find a place to put it

Back