Homeowners - what do you pay for water service

$50 to $70 a month, depending on whether we run the lawn sprinklers very much. That is water/sewer combined.

What I object to is that my water service will charge you a minimum fee quarterly, even if your actual consumption falls well below the amount to which that fee is assigned. Saving water is therefore not rewarded. Sewer fees are separate for me, and seem exorbitant.

The charges that are not for water are often more than the water. Sewer fees are charged based on water use in Feb. So if I wait a week to do all the laundry I can lower my monthly bill. We also have jail fees, other fees, then taxes. It gets silly.

What I object to is that my water service will charge you a minimum fee quarterly, even if your actual consumption falls well below the amount to which that fee is assigned. Saving water is therefore not rewarded. Sewer fees are separate for me, and seem exorbitant.
I save as much as I can. I only take a warm shower twice a week and when I have to run the water to let the hot water reach the bathroon, I let it run in a bucket and use that to water house plants. Flush the toilet once a day. Take laundry to the laundromat. When I told the village clerk whay I do, she looked at me like I had one eye and two noses and said "You're paying the minimum." So like you, Fyrefox, there is a mimimum charge. Added to the charges is what they call a "debt service" and I call "Something that doubles the bill."

If you don't mind my asking. I have to pay almost $200 every 6 months. I wanted to know if this was average.

View attachment 74364

The minimum here is $32.68 per month for up to 2500 gallons. Our usage usually hangs right around that. Last month we used 2300 gallons and the bill was $32.68. The month before it was 2700 gallons and the bill was $34.83. So over a six month period we would pay right around $200 also.

Back