Housekeeping by Yourself

Would they work for a refrigerator?
Yes most do. There are many different brands so you will have to shop but you need to lift the fridge to put them under the legs. I bought two pieces of tubular steel bent to act as leverage for lifting heavy things. I found them in one of those magazine catalogues and they work vey well. Even with this tool you need to kick or shove the slider under the piece if you don't have a helper.

I did, but they asked a lot of questions then force you to agree to their terms of service.

What's so onerous about that? Most service people ask you to agree to their terms of service. And what kinds of questions? You mean like who are you and where do you live and do you keep live alligators and stuff like that? You'd probably ask them lots of questions, too, no? I mean like how long have they been doing this, do they have references and are they insured.

If I could get somebody to come in and clean for $13 an hour, I'd tell them my whole life story if they wanted to know it.

I have budgies and they make a heck of a mess behind the cabinet where the cage sits. I don't know how they manage to throw their seed behind there, but the feathers and seed quickly build up. When I have to move the cabinet to clean behind it, I sit on the floor, brace my back against the wall, and push the cabinet with my feet. Hard work but it shifts.
Screen the side of the cage where they throw the stuff.

I wish I could show you how to lever a heavy piece of furniture with a curved screwdriver and a block of wood.

Screen the side of the cage where they throw the stuff.
Great idea!

5927c012b9317f574f1c4940-large.jpg

I love those sliders also. I bought enough to put under any furniture I can't move. I can even slide my china closet now. My hubby was happy to put them under the furniture. The way I like to change furniture around he considers them a blessing. I also changed out a couple of end tables and a coffee table for ones that are much lighter. My bird is out all day also. I bought a special little stick vacuum that I keep right next to the cage. It seems like my bird has favorite places where he hangs out when not on my shoulder. I keep old towels on those places. I also have a very old sweater I use just for him when he is on my shoulder. In the summer I have a piece of old sheet I use. I just have to remember to take it off when the door bell rings.

Funny...somebody asked the same question today on another networking site I'm on. If it's too heavy to move and I can't get help, it won't get cleaned under. When I really need to I can ask my son to come help me but I hate to bother him too much because of his long working hours and busy schedule.

put a get well card out where people can see it and they will think you havent been up to cleaning
LOL. Someone in a forum said when she's too lazy to clean she keeps a vacuum cleaner out and drop-in visitors will think she was in the process of cleaning. I have a much easier solution = I don't open the door for drop-ins and clean before visitors who called ahead come over.

I had a weekly cleaning person when the kids were young, then moved her to every other week for a few more years. It cost me $75 per visit and she was well worth every cent.

She'd stay about 5 hours. Dusted, changed the sheets, cleaned the kitchen, the bathrooms, mopped and vacuumed. I never left her dirty dishes of any kind, a dirty oven, or had her do laundry. The house was uncluttered before she arrived. Toys and books were shelved, clothing and towels picked up, and everything cleared out of her way. If my kids didn't get their rooms picked up before she arrived I'd close the offender's bedroom door and ask her to bypass it that week.

Trust me, my kids didn't blow it often because when they got home from school that day they had to clean their mess, plus dust and change their own sheets!

We had little difficulty keeping the house clean between her visits. Having had three kids very close in age, it was a godsend to have a cleaning person picking up the heavier cleaning.

Deb, if you're willing and able to get your house ready for a cleaning person to deep clean (meaning you have to start ditching the clutter), and have the service on a regular basis, it can make a world of difference.

Last edited:

Back