Houseplants or Outdoor Container plants, you're tending?

Kaila

SF VIP
I recently managed to acquire some small starter plants,
and to get some of them planted outdoors, where I can see them from inside my windows. That was the original goal.

They are plants sold in 6-packs, that are intended mostly for outdoors,
But,
it occurred to me, that they are species that could survive indoors as well,
so I now have some of them indoors in pots, so I could possibly enjoy watching them up close, at least for a while, and perhaps for longer than those that are outdoors, into the next coming colder seasons,
and instead of having had them all planted outdoors.

Some of the outdoor plants, do well indoors, if they tolerate or enjoy shade outdoors, then they get enough light indoors.

Has anyone else, done this?
Or does anyone have any small outdoor plants started in pots or containers?

I find that even having just a few houseplants, or a few plants in containers, when one is not able to have or plant an outdoor garden,
is a positive activity, and feels nurturing to the soul, and enjoyable, and adds interest to each day. :)

I used to mix my own potting soil, and start everything from seeds.
I am no longer up to doing that, now, but it's still good for me to plant and tend something.

I got a bag of Strawberry Fields potting soil, for the first time, and it's quite a good, light mixture, for indoor pots, or for outdoor containers,
or even for an outdoor bed for flowers or herbs or small fruits, etc.

good for you! you said you were gonna start a new thread and here it is.

as far as my collection of vintage flower pots go, they're all in storage, as well as most of my other household goods. I moved in with my niece and her family and no longer have the square footage I once enjoyed. Besides, the kitchen cabinets can hold so many mixing bowls and stockpots...

here's hopin' your new thread gains some attention...

I am growing some Japanese cucumbers on the patio. They are climbing now and hope they will be blooming soon. I am growing them as my sister does and she makes the most amazing pickles with them. I will not be canning them but putting them in vinegar, salt and a little sugar for every day eating. They are burpless too.

I'm down to only one houseplant. One hanging plant outside and a pot of basil. I have no room anymore.

zzvFE2xq6zCsUqMvklnmxQNccxc4kaMFhtUDXv2mLSyw2dKR_WPPjjGzcUF2Xa7jVLVEz0bxJ0n0IfUH0Smj8E5HEW10Qo6kp6pee8EvN7CE3zKxN-KTOwguLA3jxxUwLd7FX73tTt6b5s4hGHcTbmnk0Czm6pXEX-3wDVEDcjyOOuQ4vemqAHgICpRjMsfu5Y75VhD4GceEVuDcmQOejI6sWAZT1y6dGRjBeOW2DU_k8fjAfh30w__ISvZ_vQW8qZE6w3zfzeJnXglXaw0B3PEkPAhTfexDEKFSP0BDXBtSagEzGN0r5OEKg3vDUGOuETq1Q2jVypA36k2zyefGZD3puJkWYiHITRAS2md6jMvltQuGhhKC_lptbrSkoIKWqorA8-B7zcCwPfQAJlo4dalNYxCjM8cEAER2vfN2m-sLqqVskek2KJwy4gbE8FOvwA6BW9R1ZHPyqZpQwcjUZ73R8kUTpDTmy4Dr1VyMkK2Ldmq-EuajjjAAhSJSojfbDCzjf_xtpUQV2s9MN0-Ds3go5f-t-je2SdQp0oNv2MiOG1fJYd2cKMQftvxeuWTqrKEoo7-C-LJP-t-8u8qSucUoMb0V81J0UfZZ12KoxhyJh0Bz9CWD3XRc7zosFdvXle7BJIXKTcYgeVu6lttu3a7-w8cOr4lVfcPeJ2TX4WSe_NvPIGOo96Ucj5Lc5oixmXyzWyC4PZf9PQHgT4jmQ1U=w458-h610-no

My niece has a HUGE Rose of Sharon bush running along the front porch. When I landed here, around last Labor Day it was in full, luxurious flower. What fun it was to sit and watch everything that came to feed - bees, butterflies, a wide variety of hummingbirds :cool:

No flowers yet this season, but I'm anxiously waiting this seasonal display...

That is amazing, @RadishRose
that your fern roots got so angry :sneaky:
at their small quarters, :LOL:
that they could break the clay pot! :oops::rolleyes:;)

I also love that wall hanging of yours, with the leaves, etc., all silhouetted on the black background!

Oh yes, @SmoothSeas
I had forgotten, but the rose of sharon is beautiful, and that's a nice thing for you to wait for and watch for, too!

All of the posts on this thread are interesting ones. :)

An herb like Basil, that was mentioned,
is an excellent choice for either an indoor or outdoor pot or container of any type. It just bushes out more, as you take branches off, and using the leaves is so easy, delicious and versatile!

The small starter plants for outdoors, that I wrote about in Post #1 of this thread,
are coleus, and begonia varieties, which both love shade outdoors,
so they often do well indoors as well.

I put some of them in small indoors pots, and they are doing fine, so far. It's fun to watch them up close! :geek::giggle:

Back