How America is coping with inflation

Yes, I just bought a rotisserie chicken this morning that was $7.99 up from $6........I don't know about other states but if this heat and drought doesn't let up soon we're in for even higher prices on meat especially beef.
Costco's famous rotisserrie chicken has been $4.99 for over a decade. I haven't bought one in over a year though, so there may have been a recent price hike (though not according to an article I read last week). Those chickens are so good that I even eat the breast meat. I don't buy meat (except for Jenny O turkey burgers and the occasional cornish hen), so I'm glad to dodge that bullet. I noticed how high the meat prices have gotten even at Costco. I think people will have to stop making meat the main part of the meals and/or eat meat less often.

Publix sells rotisserie and fried chicken in the deli. The chicken used for frying sure seems smaller, but they are double dipping it in the coating they use to make it look the same size

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it

I bought a Costco rotisserie chicken yesterday for the first time in quite a while. Good news is the chicken was still $4.99. Bad news is the chickens were considerably smaller in size than they were in the past. Don't know if this was just an abnormally small batch, or if the size of the birds has been downsized.

I'm spending less mainly because I refuse to pay the higher prices in the grocery store.

I'm curious and concerned about what my new rent will be for next year but won't know until August.

I live well within my means and will be fine. It's more of an attitude adjustment than a financial adjustment for me.

I'm thankful that I'm not trying to raise a family of teenagers with high expectations during these difficult times.
Went to the office this morning to sign my new lease. No increase for next year! šŸ„³

I bought a Costco rotisserie chicken yesterday for the first time in quite a while. Good news is the chicken was still $4.99. Bad news is the chickens were considerably smaller in size than they were in the past. Don't know if this was just an abnormally small batch, or if the size of the birds has been downsized.
Harry..I wonder if it has anything to do with Costco being called out for using chickens that were raised in undesirable situations. I read something to that affect about a month ago. Perhaps they changed distributors who have smaller chickens. Reading this article makes me glad I stopped buying their chickens. Never thought I'd say that!
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/costcos-iconic-5-rotisserie-chicken-183127027.html

Harry..I wonder if it has anything to do with Costco being called out for using chickens that were raised in undesirable situations. I read something to that affect about a month ago. Perhaps they changed distributors who have smaller chickens. Reading this article makes me glad I stopped buying their chickens. Never thought I'd say that!
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/costcos-iconic-5-rotisserie-chicken-183127027.html
Could be, the Costco chickens I bought in the past were significantly larger than those sold at other stores. The most recent one bought was about the same size being sold elsewhere. Don't know if this recent batch of chickens was an anomaly, or if it has become the norm,

Guys, just buy a good looking whole chicken at the store. Bring it home, rinse it inside and out. Shove some butter up under the skin, Salt and pepper and favorites herbs out side and in the cavity. Take a stick of celery, a chunk of onion, half of a lemon, orange or apple in the cavity. Slam it in the oven at 400 to crisp the skin for 15 minutes, then turn down the heat to 350 until done. Depends on the size of the bird. The goodies inside add flavor and prevent a dry bird. I just use the old fashioned method, nicely browned and the leg joint wiggles without any pressure, clean liquids, no blood. Most often it will be an hour or so. You are done.

Remove from the oven and it let it rest for about 15 minutes before cutting. Here I like to serve with wild rice, green beans and hot yeast rolls, Oops, I just made myself hungry.

I've been buying Costco rotisserie chickens for years and have not noticed any reduction in size. My understanding is
Costco raises its own chickens.

I have also increased my support to our local food bank to help those who are really being impacted by inflation.

Just as you can't get something for nothing, when things are too cheap there's a reason behind it. The cost of feed has gone up dramatically so the price of meat should be going up commensurately. But it isn't necessarily doing so, and Costco chickens are a perfect example of that.

Besides which, virtually none of the animals in modern livestock "industries" are treated well or fed well. Costco is just the latest company to be caught at it.

Despite endless undercover reports with photos that detail cruel, unsanitary, inhumane, disgusting conditions, most of the public chooses to turn a blind eye because they want cheap meat. Many people eat animal foods three times a day, feel entitled to do so, and half-pretend the supermarkets create it in the back rooms. Not so.

Killing for any reason is an ugly process. Doing so on a regular basis for food when there are less expensive, more sustainable, better for the environment, healthier for our bodies, foods available, is uglier still.

Last edited:
The biggest reason for high chicken and egg prices is probably the recent wave of "Avian Flu", which hit poultry farmers badly. Millions of chickens had to be put down, as a result. It will take many months, maybe a full year, before the supply is back to normal.

Back