How America is coping with inflation

Yep, they can hold a grudge sometimes after a bath, grooming or the dreaded nail trim. I have the tools needed to groom. I used to lay a beach towel in the tub to do it. It kept them enclosed and made it easy to clean up the mess. Now I can not get up and down that easily or bend over for long. Makes it next to impossible to do it all at one time, so I do it in stages like you. I do like to take them twice a year to the professional groomer.

A few weeks ago, we drove across Kansas. There are miles and miles of wind turbines, and oil wells all over the place. Only about 1/3rd of the wind turbines were turning, and probably only about 1 in 4 of the oil pumps were pumping. There is NO shortage of crude oil....instead, recent government "policies", and corporate cutbacks are creating an 'artificial" oil crisis that is hitting many Americans hard. I suspect this is all part of an attempt to make more people buy EV's....which would be understandable IF these vehicles were practical for more than just daily urban commutes.

Europe, understandably, is having a Real crisis, due to its dependence upon Russia for much of its oil/gas needs....but, IMO, the fuel crisis in the U.S. is largely being "created". Meanwhile, the oil companies are posting record profits.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/economy/2022/05/07/oil-company-record-profits-2022/9686761002/

We are careful about what we buy -- no more wasted food and no more buying things we want, but don't need.

Grooming my dog costs about $95!!! So I hauled out my grooming tools yesterday, and started to work. After that, he refused to sleep in my room. :) I'm not done yet. I did about 60% of the rough cut, and have to do the finish cut and his legs and chest/stomach. By that time, hopefully he will look well-groomed.

We are careful about where we go. We order most food delivered since it is "free" and nearly everyone goes maskless.

My son and I spend a lot of time turning off the a/c ... especially when my daughter sets it at 68 and at night it's about that temp outside. I say open windows, they all have screens. We also put in nightlights from Walmart (they have no bulbs!) and make sure all other lights are off in the house when we go to bed.
"So I hauled out my grooming tools yesterday, and started to work. After that, he refused to sleep in my room." He's too through with you! Funny! :D

ā€œThe stuff that we used to eat weā€™re not eating anymore,ā€ Johnson said. ā€œWeā€™re eating more spaghetti and that type of stuff because itā€™s cheap ā€” but itā€™s not healthy for you.ā€

Johnson added that the family used to eat a lot of chicken, but itā€™s gotten so expensive that sheā€™s substituting less expensive, fattier hamburger. If she does buy vegetables, she gets frozen ones instead of fresh ones to save money."

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/09/con...ping-habits-as-inflation-pushes-up-price.html

This is relative...I was wondering..about the people who volunteer
with....like..."Meals on Wheels" and at other places...
With the price of gas...
This is something to think about
So many effected.

You know what's weird? At the supermarket, the hamburger went up in price way more than the steaks.
A whole rotisserie is still selling for about the same price as it did, but the uncooked whole chickens went up by a couple dollars. A friend drinks beer and he said the beer he drinks costs $21 a carton - same price as before, but the less expensive beer went from $14 to $17 a carton.

Think they are trying to make up the inflation/ gas prices where they can.

You know what's weird? At the supermarket, the hamburger went up in price way more than the steaks.
A whole rotisserie is still selling for about the same price as it did, but the uncooked whole chickens went up by a couple dollars. A friend drinks beer and he said the beer he drinks costs $21 a carton - same price as before, but the less expensive beer went from $14 to $17 a carton.

Think they are trying to make up the inflation/ gas prices where they can.
Sadly, the guy at the bottom of the food chain always takes it on the chin because he has fewer options.

It gets even worse when the folks a little higher up the ladder start to drop down a rung or two.

Sadly, the guy at the bottom of the food chain always takes it on the chin because he has fewer options.

It gets even worse when the folks a little higher up the ladder start to drop down a rung or two.
Yes, Aunt Bea...and the stores will probably attempt to get the margins back up by upping the prices on the "volume" purchased items.

Hate to say it as many rely on chicken that is cooked at grocery stores because they can't cook their own for health reasons. I think the chicken roasted or fried, is from the chicken in the meat market that is getting old. Sure they maybe able to make it taste good but I worry it is not a fresh product being used. It puts many at risk for food poisoning.

I am still fortunate to have the health and strength to cook. I will pay more for a fresh product to prevent an illness than take that risk.

That being said when you can, donate meat, produce, dairy and fruit to our local food pantries. Those who use food pantries also need a healthy well balanced diet and appreciate those things. When you are on a fixed income, have children in the home this is very important.

Inflation, especially for food and fuel, is showing No signs of slowing down. Presently, food is up around 7%....according to the FDA, (in reality, more like 20%) and fuel is up around 45%....more in some places. The CPI is up over 8%, and could reach 10% by year end. So long as people are finding ways to pay these increased prices, there is little relief in sight.
The Fed will be trying to "manipulate" the economy in coming weeks/months, but any actions they take may just hasten the time when the economy slides into a fairly deep recession.....which may be the Only way we will see a reduction in these current prices.

Hate to say it as many rely on chicken that is cooked at grocery stores because they can't cook their own for health reasons. I think the chicken roasted or fried, is from the chicken in the meat market that is getting old. Sure they maybe able to make it taste good but I worry it is not a fresh product being used. It puts many at risk for food poisoning.

I am still fortunate to have the health and strength to cook. I will pay more for a fresh product to prevent an illness than take that risk.

That being said when you can, donate meat, produce, dairy and fruit to our local food pantries. Those who use food pantries also need a healthy well balanced diet and appreciate those things. When you are on a fixed income, have children in the home this is very important.
My local food pantry accepts non perishables only.

My wife and I do feel bad for families trying to feed their families a healthy diet and still take care of their financial responsibilities. Our family is very fortunate to be well off. We have decided to donate $1000 per month to our churchā€™s food bank. Iā€™m not sure how our church people that runs the bank does it, but they have a way of limiting cheaters from hoarding and also from people that make their rounds to the many food banks in our county. But nonetheless, we will donate the $1000 per month as an anonymous donor to the church.

Since we didnā€™t get our Ukraine family, my wife thought we could help out another way. We also donate to the IFC to help feed the Jewish people in former USSR countries, including Ukraine. This is all done anonymously.

I am not telling you this to brag, but maybe to inspire others that are also able to donate to do so. I am sure that any local church in your are that operates a food bank will appreciate your generosity, no matter what amount.

Ah, that makes sense. Some of the very large churches in TX would undoubtedly have the resources to refrigerate and distribute perishables before they spoiled. Good for y'all.

Some food banks in LA almost certainly can accept and distribute perishables, but the small local church pantries I've supported over the years do not.

p.s. Y'all is the only word in Texan that I speak, but it's a good one! :love:

p.s. Y'all is the only word in Texan that I speak, but it's a good one! :love:

Awwwwww - this country is great! šŸ˜

iu

PS .. I love New Jersey! ... (y)

Does anyone consider the people on minimum wages when the subject of inflation comes up?
Yes I do, we by no means are rich but we do go out to a restaurant now and then when we go to town. We have been tipping at a rate better than 20%. Money is tight for us but it is tighter for those on minimum wage that have to pay rent, gas and all of life's needs while everyone is cutting back.

Yes, I just bought a rotisserie chicken this morning that was $7.99 up from $6........I don't know about other states but if this heat and drought doesn't let up soon we're in for even higher prices on meat especially beef.

Last edited:

Back