How did you plan emotionally and psychologically for retirement?

I'm only 54 but, now when I take vacation it's a staycation and I isolate myself as much as possible because that's likely how it's going to be when I retire. I can get up when I want and do whatever I want, in as long a time as I want. There isn't gonna be anymore rushing around. I will likely have to supplement with a part time job to make ends meet as food service doesn't pay that well.

I'm going to be retiring in about 7 months, and I'm curious as to how others have planned - or not planned - for the first days/weeks/months of being retired. Did you have a plan? Were you excited? Anxious? How did those first days/etc. affect you mentally and emotionally?

Thanks to all who reply!
I was VERY anxious but knew it was the best thing for me and I have NO regrets. No, I did not plan it all out. Sometimes we can plan and plan but it doesn't turn out as we expected. I went with what was best for me. If I planned, I would probably still be working. Sometimes we have to TAKE A LEAP OF FAITH.. that's exactly what I did.

I truly appreciate all the responses to CatGuy's inquiry, for I feel as though I am in good company.

I've work predominantly as a geriatric psych at a hospital I call "Wrongway Regional Medical Center". I often look for signs or the writing on the wall to help guide my decisions. Recently, I told my work wife Eleanor that if I start to make mistakes in one way or another, I will retire.

However, I have been recognized by administration a few times in the past year for quality patient care and documentation.

feather in my cap jpeg.jpg

And just last month, I received a prestigious award:

daisy award jpg.jpg

So I'm torn between retiring at the top of my game or waiting until I need to be turned out to pasture.

Thank you all for allowing me to be involved in this discussion.

Last edited:
I truly appreciate all the responses to CatGuy's inquiry, for I feel as though I am in good company.

I've work predominantly as a geriatric psych at a hospital I call "Wrongway Regional Medical Center". I often look for signs or the writing on the wall to help guide my decisions. Recently, I told my work wife Eleanor that if I start to make mistakes in one way or another, I will retire.

However, I have been recognized by administration a few times in the past year for quality patient care and documentation.

View attachment 94088

View attachment 94090

So I'm torn between retiring at the top of my game or waiting until I need to be turned out to pasture.

I know how you feel, Davey. When I took my latest (and last) job, I was brought in on a contract-to-hire basis as a senior database developer. I told my wife then (February 2017) that if they hired me at the end of the six-month probation, I'd work until August 2018, my 60th birthday.

But, my employer fooled me: they asked me to come on board as their database administrator, a position I'd coveted for some time. It seemed like a great chance to put a fine cap on my career, and I told my wife I'd work a couple more years, or until it stopped being fun. I've done some great things for my company, and been recognized by everyone from my manager up to the president, and I truly enjoy what I do, but it's time to step away and pursue other passions.

So my advice, FWIW, is to ease out now. Perhaps a phased withdrawal would be a good compromise: you gradually work fewer and fewer hours, until you know you're ready, giving both your employer and yourself a nice adjustment period.

View attachment 94088

View attachment 94090

CONGRATS!!!!!!! You will know when the time is right.

Thank you so much for your reply, CatGuy, I do believe you know how I feel.

I will try to "ease out now".
My plan for "easing out" was to be less ambitious about the projects I undertook, and to make sure my employer hired my successor while I was still around (we're working on that part). I'm in more of a "keep the lights on" mode, and will be until August. When we finally get a new DBA in, I'll start turning over duties to them, and planning fishing trips :)

My plan for "easing out" was to be less ambitious about the projects I undertook, and to make sure my employer hired my successor while I was still around (we're working on that part). I'm in more of a "keep the lights on" mode, and will be until August. When we finally get a new DBA in, I'll start turning over duties to them, and planning fishing trips :)
I bet your employer was sorry to have you leave you sound like a great employee.

I bet your employer was sorry to have you leave you sound like a great employee.
That's very kind of you, LC. I haven't left yet, but yes, they are sorry to see me go. I'm just pleased that I will be leaving their database systems in much better shape than I found them, and grateful for the opportunity they gave me.

My job was stressful so when the opportunity came I jumped at it. The company was downsizing and they were looking for volunteers to take a layoff so off I went. I had been plotting my savings vs. life expectancy and felt I was financially able.

Back