How do other seniors deal with extreme dry weather conditions, high barometric pressure and crazy high winds?

Ruby Rose

I am going a tad nutsy with Prairie weather at the moment! I am having trouble dealing with temps in the 30s along with the rather powerful winds our way...with even a touch of hail which ruined my apple trees. I hate that when that happens but the herd is always waiting for samples.

I am tending to get slight dizzy spells after being out which rather unnerve me which I have experienced last Summer in similar weather conditions with many tests later only to state a form of vertigo, nothing wrong and just ride it out. It also happened when I was in Alaska in 2018 giving me my first helicopter ride to the hospital only to say the same thing. Craziness!

Anyways to make a story short, I did venture out the beginning of the week to roll up downed old wire with my son and guess I shouldn't have done that but the wind at my back felt so good! I know, I know as everyone keeps telling me, I should remember my age and all that...stupid thing!

Live indoors. AC is on during the day, fans during the night. Our temperatures are down to the mid 30s (mid 90s) now We’re still fighting smoke. Any walking is done in the early morning or evening if the AQ is passable. It’s been a summer from h!ll.

I don’t know how seniors without AC or don’t have a home with good cross ventilation would deal with this. Fans were sold out in June.

I was out very early this am for over an hour with the dog, supposed to be very hot and humid again today. The smoke is making it hard to breathe. I to suffer from BPV can be frightening at times. For the rest of the day I will stay inside doors and windows closed, read and play with my fur babies after all the daily chores are completed.

Live indoors. AC is on during the day, fans during the night. Our temperatures are down to the mid 30s (mid 90s) now We’re still fighting smoke. Any walking is done in the early morning or evening if the AQ is passable. It’s been a summer from h!ll.

I don’t know how seniors without AC or don’t have a home with good cross ventilation would deal with this. Fans were sold out in June.
I have AC as well but feel chilled from it as not natural to me and simply have to dash out and warm up! Everybody here think I am crazy feeling this way. I feel that it is the extremes that affect me at this time and of course as everyone keeps telling me...'you are in your eighties so smarten up!' This is very hard to do as I have always been an outside person. When I think of it, growing up in a family of ten, ha ha, you had no choice...out you go...mind you were dressed for the elements...in the winter, you were so bundled up, you could only stand as couldn't move...but we got our fresh air!

Back