How do you appreciate age?

Mr. Ed

Life does not deserve my gratitude.
I like saying whatever I choose. I am not intimidated by people or places.
I appreciate the freedom to grow my hair long like back in the day, no mullet.
I have a stress test Tuesday for Scuba Diving training
Are you defined by your past, job, career or family? Has age been good for you?
How have you reconnected to a previous hobby or passion since retirement?
What is meaningful?

Great question! Fir me? FREEDOM! I am now ME! The REAL me! My SOUL! As you said, Say anything, do anything, I can wear my hair long and wild because I don't have to maintain a professional image. I can wear what I want, behave as I wish, no one to please except myself! I can laugh, dance, sing, create, sculpt, paint, write, damn! I can do anything I want! it's like being a kid again! I'm having FUN again!

Age has been GREAT for me, both from the standpoint of aging well, as in keeping my youthfulness, and from the standpoint of speaking my mind.

Having my health and mobility is the most meaningful thing of all for me, because without that we have nothing.

Being able to be me, is the best. I have no one to impress other than myself, and because I'm such a simple person, impressing myself comes easy. :)

Last edited:
"How do you appreciate age?"

Learn to appreciate the little things:
I played with the dogs this morning.
Watched the morning sunshine come through the pine trees.
Enjoyed a great cup of coffee with my wife.
…. and right now I an eating some fresh South Carolina peaches covered with vanilla ice cream.

I don't think that I always took the time to fully appreciate little things when I was younger.

"How do you appreciate age?"

…. and right now I an eating some fresh South Carolina peaches covered with vanilla ice cream.

I don't think that I always took the time to fully appreciate little things when I was younger.
I definitely didn't take the time to appreciate the little things when I was younger. :(

I do and I don't appreciate age. I love the fact that I don't have to drag myself out of bed every morning to go to work and I certainly have more time to pursue my hobbies.
The kids are settled in their own lives and are happy.
I have grand kids.
We live comfortably and probably my only concern are medical issues in the future. Can't do much about that anyway.
Yes, I'm grateful.

The thing is,I'm still playing house. Cleaning every week,food shopping,laundry, having dinner for the hubby at the exact time we did for the past 40+ years.

No pets,just my bird because we are to old to get a new fur baby.

Muscles and joints that don't want to cooperate.
The few friends and relatives left who unload on me.
As for me, I don't want to be the last man standing and certainly not by swallowing a heap of pills each day.
Sorry for being so negative, I'm in a mood today, I earned that right because of my age .lol

Couldn't of said it better

I wrote something awhile back;

An idyllic life

Turns out, we all have it
Thing is, it can come in itty bitty pieces
Like one from wunna those humongous puzzles
Quite easy to miss if yer not careful
Oftentimes they'll not even make it back into the box
Getting stepped on by the dirty shoe of ill feelings

One has a hard time retrieving those
Blaming others for being so careless
Unless one bends, lifts their shoe, and carefully examines their own soul

Wait too long and that precious missing piece will have no where too fit

Oh, and something else;

So I’ve been in this ‘savor the moment’ thing since before retirement (retirement makes it too easy)

And, on occasion, I share my thoughts with my bride
We already know each other like well read books, but on occasion we show each other a new wrinkle,
of which, well, we’ve got some doozies cropping up by the minute, actual wrinkles, real beauts

Anyway

She has this urge to reminisce about old times, not the good old times, specifically bad events, somewhat reliving the moment
Hey, it’s a trait.
We’ve all got traits
I listen
Watch
Wait
Make coffee
Of late I’ve been given to mention how reliving a horrible past brings it into the present, inviting it for dinner,
wasting gorgeous days, perfect nights….etc…etc…blah….blah…blather…blather

but

after a few days of nursing me and my ear issues (putting up with me)….she told me today, she got it

we’re of an age where there just aren’t that many perfect one’s to waste

we did some savoring today, on the way to see the doc…and on the way back, savoring…together

Today was a good day here, a little on the warm side but good. Got two face cords moved and stacked. Half in the morning half this afternoon All done by choice at my speed, I enjoyed it. Enjoyed the break also and the beat goes on. I enjoyed it!!!
Enjoying the virus, because it is giving me what I like , like some friends that come up to visit. Best part is that my life is what I like now. Sorry of course of all the rest concerning the virus, but life does go on.
As long as life is worth living I will not quit, too much to learn and enjoy.
:D:D:D:devilish::devilish:

Couldn't of said it better

I wrote something awhile back;

An idyllic life

Turns out, we all have it
Thing is, it can come in itty bitty pieces
Like one from wunna those humongous puzzles
Quite easy to miss if yer not careful
Oftentimes they'll not even make it back into the box
Getting stepped on by the dirty shoe of ill feelings

One has a hard time retrieving those
Blaming others for being so careless
Unless one bends, lifts their shoe, and carefully examines their own soul

Wait too long and that precious missing piece will have no where too fit

Oh, and something else;

So I’ve been in this ‘savor the moment’ thing since before retirement (retirement makes it too easy)

And, on occasion, I share my thoughts with my bride
We already know each other like well read books, but on occasion we show each other a new wrinkle,
of which, well, we’ve got some doozies cropping up by the minute, actual wrinkles, real beauts

Anyway

She has this urge to reminisce about old times, not the good old times, specifically bad events, somewhat reliving the moment
Hey, it’s a trait.
We’ve all got traits
I listen
Watch
Wait
Make coffee
Of late I’ve been given to mention how reliving a horrible past brings it into the present, inviting it for dinner,
wasting gorgeous days, perfect nights….etc…etc…blah….blah…blather…blather

but

after a few days of nursing me and my ear issues (putting up with me)….she told me today, she got it

we’re of an age where there just aren’t that many perfect one’s to waste

we did some savoring today, on the way to see the doc…and on the way back, savoring…together
Key word-TOGETHER

I don't appreciate aging, and I think I never will. Having been self-employed almost my entire life, I've rarely had constraints placed on me by working for others, so, unlike many in here, I am not suddenly reveling in my time being my own. It's mostly been that way from the start, for me.

I view aging as the process that takes you towards the end of life, and one that makes you intimately aware of your own mortality. Another ache, another pain, another " What the Hell is this?" moment, when inspecting my body.

Appreciate aging? No, that's not happening. As a matter of fact, aging makes me better appreciate my younger days!

Last edited:

Back