How do you like to eat fresh apples?

Ruth n Jersey

It is apple season here in New Jersey.
I decided to make some apple sauce today since we got our first dusting of snow and it's so dreary out. Nothing makes the house smell better than apples cooking. I made some plain and some with cinnamon.
I rarely add sugar if ever.
As I was going about the business of slicing and cooking I got to thinking about how many ways people eat fresh apples.
My hubby came in and grabbed one and took a knife and cut off thin slices and ate it as he sliced.
My son peels his apples.
My daughter slices them thickly and takes out the core for the grandkids.
I like to munch right into them. If the skins are a bit tough I peel it first.
How do you like to eat apples?

My absolute favorite is baked apples. Slice them in half, then cut out the core, place in a baking pan with a cup of water in the bottom, and add butter, sliced almonds and cinnamon on top.

Bake at 350(?) degrees for about half an hour. Absolutely delicious!

[Edited to add the sliced almonds.]

Last edited:
I use one of these or a knife.

A fresh apple with a slice of sharp cheddar cheese or a slather of peanut butter makes a decent snack/meal.
images

I use the apple corer slicer gadget when I'm making apple crisp. I section the apple and then use a paring knife to take off a single slice of skin and cut each wedge in two.

And the candy apples, too!

There was a home we kids used to visit every Halloween, where the lady made and handed out candy apples. So, so good!
Get out! There was a woman about 1/2 a mile from us who used to make the best fresh toffee apples. The only thing is that you actually HAD to have or do a trick for the candy apple. Many people skipped out and left but it was one of my favourite parts of Halloween that I looked forward to so I sang to her every year for one. The best 🍎 ever.

I like to take each side and cut if off with a knife, eat the sections then finish off a little bit from the core. I only like tart apples, Pink Lady, Granny Smith, Braeburn.

Back