How Do You Protect Yourself From the Crime Waves in Your area?

Ruthanne

SF VIP
Geez, It's hard enough dealing with the affects of illness and aging and then having to also deal with these crime waves.

I don't usually go out real late but if I have to now I have a garage parking space so I don't have to be out on the street or in that parking lot here. I know some have a gun but I don't and most likely won't get one. I have pepper spray but it's years old and I don't know if it's still good. I take my cell phone with me for emergency calls, my dog probably wouldn't bite anyone but lick them to death. 😘

I was just watching this mornings 4 am news report and see that car jackings have been happening a lot in the nearby city. I don't think anyone would want my beater car but who knows anymore? The woman who was also held 10 years captive by Castro was just also car jacked. 4 of them threw her to the ground and put a gun in her face and demanded her car and money. They did not hurt her but in another related crime a man was shot who is now critical in the hospital. Man, these people are heartless and seem desperate.

So, what do you do to protect yourself?

Here is the carjackings story: https://fox8.com/news/fbi-4-wanted-in-connection-to-series-of-carjackings-across-northeast-ohio/

I try to keep to my local area, I'm near the local police station and have noticed a lot of alarms all day and night of police chases.

Other seniors do go shopping during certain hours of the day, and never at night. My car is in a garage never on the street.

Not much else except check the local news for incidents in my area.

I also wear an alarm,..

I try to keep to my local area, I'm near the local police station and have noticed a lot of alarms all day and night of police chases.

Other seniors do go shopping during certain hours of the day, and never at night. My car is in a garage never on the street.

Not much else except check the local news for incidents in my area.

I also wear an alarm,..
What kind of alarm do you wear?

Good. Also when I go anywhere on vacation I always carry a "dummy" wallet in my back pocket and my real one up front. That way if I get my pocket picked or a "stick em up" from behind me, they will get a "Sorry Charlie".

Great ideas, I have a few chain look like good but are stainless-steel for Lily five dollars.

Also have security cams both in my car and place... There was a senior couple who went on vacation, and a bunch of young people took the car on a joy ride, it had On Star, and police could hear and track them then turn the car off. So if you have a car with that it's a great help.

I have that and prefer to avoid the situation.
I saw a bunch of guys around my car as I came out of my local market, I just started away and set off the alars remotely they went away,

You've made me appreciate living where I do. In the 15 years I've lived here, there has been the occasional 'domestic' incident and an alleged burglary that turned out to be an insurance scam. Other than that, 'crime' consists of driving too fast through the village, or dropping litter.
I guess I would appreciate living in your locale too.

Not sure of the name, got from hsn I can not find that model there are lot of other ones. I might update this one, soon.
Is it a necklace type of alarm?

I live in a building that has all the doors locked and residents have to open the lobby door for visitors from the intercom in our apartments. There are video cameras on all the entrances and halls.

The lady who lives directly under me had her car stolen from the parking lot when she was sleeping. It was someone she had known almost her whole life. The woman had taken her apartment keys from the key rack when she was visiting her and had a copy made. Then using those she came in one night when she was asleep and stole the car keys. To make a long story short, she was a druggie, and totaled the car. When my friend went to the police station to identify her car and get her stuff (what was left) out of it she found a baggie of drugs under the seat (that the police hadn't found!)! The woman had also taken her cell phone and prescription drugs. It took her forever to recover from that because then she had no phone and no medications. Oh yeah, her rolling walker was in the car too.

I never leave my apartment after dark. I keep my apartment door locked, though a lot of people here do not. Some open their doors and leave them open for a bit during the day. When I go out by myself on my mobility chair I do not carry a purse. I have a small cloth bag that I carry with me with a small change purse that has my money in it. And I never carry much. If someone was robbing me, I'd just give it to them, while I would be studying them so I could identify them the best I can. I remember little details about people.

Lots of good advice.

I try to use commonsense and quietly go about my business.

sjeepworld.jpg

I try to avoid going out at night unless I have to. I also have pepper spray and a nasty disposition. I occasionally test the pepper spray by spraying it on the ground or by a bush and I give it a sec to settle then see if I can kinda smell it at a distance. If I can then I'm good. I haven't had to use mine but not afraid to. If the situation changes and it warrants it...I may look into getting a stun gun. We'll see. Right now I don't think anyone is gonna wanna face my temper.

How Do You Protect Yourself From the Crime Waves in Your area?
I do my "going to town" first thing in the morning, most crooks are drug addicts and are not early risers, although there is the occasional tweeker who's been up all night, not to mention the previous 3 days. Don't go to 'seedy' parts of town, or seedy businesses.
I try to project a "I CAN kick your ass" demeanor, but maybe as time takes it's toll I'm less and less convincing. 🙄

Crime is almost unheard of in our rural area, but the cities are getting worse every month. There are parts of the cities that used to be ok, but now, I wouldn't think of venturing into some of those areas. If I lived in some of those areas, I would think seriously about getting a permit to carry a pistol.

As far as I know we aren't experiencing any significant crime waves here in downtown San Jose. I do know that crime is up a little bit not enough to concern me.

I do what I always do. We lock our doors at night, remove anything valuable (or that looks valuable) from our vehicles. I try to remain alert when I am out walking any time of day or night. I rarely carry much cash, but I've always been a plastic person so that isn't anything special. When riding public transit I stay aware of what is happening around me and notice who is getting on at stops.

I will still go to San Francisco, Oakland and Berkeley and leave shows late at night. If I'm riding public transit I be sure to watch out a little more carefully when making my way from the club to the transit stop. If I drive to a show I try to park as close as possible and am careful making my way back to my car and getting into it.

I'm perfectly willing to make it as easy as possible for anyone wanting my wallet or vehicle to do so. My life is worth far more than any possessions I have or the inconvenience of having to deal with losing them.

Geez, It's hard enough dealing with the affects of illness and aging and then having to also deal with these crime waves. I don't usually go out real late but if I have to now I have a garage parking space so I don't have to be out on the street or in that parking lot here. I know some have a gun but I don't and most likely won't get one. I have pepper spray but it's years old and I don't know if it's still good. I take my cell phone with me for emergency calls, my dog probably wouldn't bite anyone but lick them to death. 😘 I was just watching this mornings 4 am news report and see that car jackings have been happening a lot in the nearby city. I don't think anyone would want my beater car but who knows anymore? The woman who was also held 10 years captive by Castro was just also car jacked. 4 of them threw her to the ground and put a gun in her face and demanded her car and money. They did not hurt her but in another related crime a man was shot who is now critical in the hospital. Man, these people are heartless and seem desperate.

So, what do you do to protect yourself?
I make sure that I keep my family in an indigenous part of town. Sounds racist, doesn't it, but by indigenous I mean where whoever lives there respects our laws and culture. I had to move out of the last neighborhood. We're safe.

Back