How Many Nieces & Nephews Do You Have?

OneEyedDiva

SF VIP
Include your grand and great grand nieces and nephews. I never thought I would be able to say I'm an aunt. But in 1998, I met my sister and brothers (we never use the terms half sister, half brother). So I have 3 nieces, 2 grand nieces, 2 great grand nieces and 2 great-great grand nieces, 2 nephews, 1 grand nephew and 2 great grand nephews.

Both my wife and I come from a family of five, we each have four siblings. It would be reasonable, therefore, to expect that we have quite a few nieces and nephews. What we have is six nieces on my wife's side, but only five pregnancies, one birth was identical twins. On my side there's three nieces and a nephew. Given that our parents had a combined total of ten children it would be reasonable to assume that those children would produce more than ten babies.
Intrigued I typed into Google: "Did the baby boomers have less children?" This amazing answer appeared.
"According to Nicholas Eberstadt, writing in Foreign Affairs, since World War II, when the Boomers began popping into existence, the number of births per woman on Earth dropped by almost half, from 4.9 to an estimated 2.5 today, an extraordinary decline -- and it happened pretty much everywhere."
Don't you just love fractions of a baby! Joking aside, it's an incredible statistic.

Hmmm :unsure: Tough question for me because some of my siblings and nieces/nephews had second marriages that brought "new" kids in. Sounds funny that I don't know... so let me try. At last count:
10 "whole" nephews and 5 "whole" nieces
3 "half" nephews and 7 "half" nieces
I can only count "whole" greats and that would be 7 great nephews and 8 great nieces.
Grand total not counting half greats: 40. A few are pregnant at the moment, so all numbers will rise. :oops:

Last edited:
Hmmm :unsure: Tough question for me because some of my siblings and nieces/nephews had second marriages that brought "new" kids in. Sounds funny that I don't know... so let me try. At last count:
10 "whole" nephews and 5 "whole" nieces
3 "half" nephews and 7 "half" nieces
I can only count "whole" grands and that would be 7 grand nephews and 8 grand nieces.
Grand total not counting half grands: 40. A few are pregnant at the moment, so all numbers will rise. :oops:
...Kate either you're a 102 years old, or you started having kids at 15 ... lol :sneaky:

Not to many on my side of family but my wife’s parents had 15 children. Anyone got a calculator for rent.
My parents had lots of siblings..my mother one of 9 and my father one of 16... if anyone asks how many cousins I have..it's impossible to count. When we were younger, my sister and I counted up .. and we got to 400... that was 40 years ago..god alone knows how many there are now.,,:eek:

Include your grand and great grand nieces and nephews. I never thought I would be able to say I'm an aunt. But in 1998, I met my sister and brothers (we never use the terms half sister, half brother). So I have 3 nieces, 2 grand nieces, 2 great grand nieces and 2 great-great grand nieces, 2 nephews, 1 grand nephew and 2 great grand nephews.
I'll have to rest up in order to count. :oops: :rolleyes: My feet are killing me!

7 nieces, 3 nephews and I can barely keep track of the grands and great grands. I became an aunt at age 10, so they've all had quite a bit of time to multiply. My sibs were much older than I.

Back