How Many of You Remove Your Shoes When You Come Inside or Have House Shoes?

yep, i always remove my shoes,when entering my home.....then i put slippers on, i have a pair of garden shoes by the back door, when i go out there.....

i was bought up to always take my shoes off, when entering someones home.....my kids do the same....but i always ask the person, im entering now...as some people are funny if you kick your shoes off.....especially if you have socks with holes in.....😂😂😂😳🥴

In a past occupation I managed several large IT data centers (server farms, etc), which had giant sticky sheets at the entrance to try and limit the amount of dirt that got drug into the data centers, as a clean environment is better for computers. The staff would peel several sticky sheets off a day. It was interesting to see how much dirt the sheets prevented from being tracked in.

I wear slippers in my apartment. I have all my shoes on a shelf by my entrance and exchange my shoes for the slippers when I come in. I do not ask anyone to take off their shoes, but my bf leaves his outside my door when he comes in. I don't ask anyone to take off their shoes but don't have many visitors anyway. I cannot walk barefoot or only in socks myself so if I go somewhere that I have to take off my shoes and know in advance, I will bring my slippers. If I don't know, I won't stay. I can't help it. I have mobility issues and do not want to fall.

We have really good quality barrier mats by the back and front doors, that trap all the dirt, but we both still take our shoes off as we come in, hubs wears slipper, and I wear slip on sketchers they're much more supportive for my feet than slippers since I got PF from standing on concrete floors for 10 hours a day at work... ...

Workmen who come to my house generally either automatically take their shoes off, if their boots are dirty or they have shoe covers with them. I also have a box of shoe covers for anyone who might need them, but I wouldn't ask them to wear them unless I could see their shoes were particularly dirty .

My family and friends can do what they please, I don't ask them to take their shoes off, but most of them do it automatically at the door and just wander around in their socks .

Last edited:
We have really good quality barrier mats by the back and front doors, that trap all the dirt, but we both still take our shoes off as we come in, hubs wears slipper, and I wear slip on sketchers they're much more supportive for my feet than slippers since I got PF from standing on concrete floors for 10 hours a day at work... ...

Workmen who come to my house generally either automatically take their shoes off, if they're boots are dirty or they have shoe covers with them. I also have a box of shoe covers for anyone who might need them, but I wouldn't ask them to wear them unless I could see their shoes were particularly dirty .

My family and friends can do what they please, I don't ask them to take their shoes off, but most of them do it auotmatically at the door and just wander around in their socks .

I have those shoe covers holly...i find them very good for the workmen when they come, they are so versatile, and they are just thrown in the bin afterwards.....😊

My DIL is Korean and grew up taking her shoes off when enterging a house. As part of her Christmas gift I gave her a few pairs of cute socks that will live in our entryway cabinet. I told her that I don't want to have to worry about every floor in my home being freshly vacuumed or mopped each time she comes over, lest she crunches something under her toes.

My son picked up her habit, and goes barefoot in his own house as well as ours (not a fan of socks - never has been). I told him if he crunches something under his feet, well, he knows where the broom is.

We all got a good laugh and DIL's socks are ready for her.

I always take my shoes off when I walk in the door. I almost always come in from the garage. So does my husband and daughter. It keeps the carpet a lot cleaner that way.

I understand that it's a hassle to do that so I don't ask guests.

The bad thing about this is that I always have a pile of shoes in the kitchen by the garage door.

We have outdoor only shoes, of various kinds/purposes, on a shoe rack in the Vestibule.
And very supportive, real shoes (not unsupportive slippers...which are a slip/fall hazard to wear) just inside the door.

Much more sanitary and cleaner to do this.
The thought of bringing asphalt oil, motor oil, pesticides, dog poop residue, dirt and grime inside is yucky. Then there is the grit, sand, tiny pebbles, bark bits, pine needles...very abrasive to floor surfaces.

Best benefit is: it greatly reduces housework!!!! I seldom need to clean the floors! And when I do it is quick and easy!

Second best benefit is: we don't need to refinish or replace flooring. Saves a lot of hassle and money!

Third benefit: we don't have expensive floor replacement costs before selling our homes. Saves great amounts of money.

We lived for 10 years with real wood Swedish finish flooring and light colored commercial grade carpet. When we sold house the floors looked brand new... saved the expense, hassle and exposure to toxic fumes by not needing to have the wood refinished. The carpet wasn't ground down in the traffic pattern areas.

Another home lived in it 20 years with light gray tile grout and whitish (pastel grey & taupe threads in it so not ugly stark white) carpeting.
Only had to clean and reseal the grout one time and occasionally clean the carpet with safe natural products.
Floors were good enough to sell home without replacing them. Only two small sections of the traffic areas in the home had a little bit of ground down carpet look. It is mostly the grit and dirt that grinds down traffic areas!

Have polished concrete floors now. Hoping to not need to have them stripped, resealed or re-waxed. It would be a major hassle, very toxic fumes and VERY expensive. They better last 30 more years or I will be pissed!!!

Back