How much do you think is appropriate to spend of your pets health care?

There are two ends of the pet care spectrum. At the low end, owners leave their pets to fend for themselves, probably chained up/ or kept outside. At the high end, owners demand a human level of medical care. They spare no expense what so ever. What do do you consider to be the appropriate to spend on a pet?

Whatever one can afford. BUT, there is a limit to how much suffering I would cause a pet just to extend his life - especially if he was a very old pet or terminally ill.

I had a Black Lab years ago that had gastric bloat twice. The first time, I spent $1,000.00 on the ER & it was well worth it. Four years later, he got it again, worse. He was 16 at the time & he would have needed surgery & it's unlikely he would survive since he was already near death. The Vet suggested surgery (of course - for $5,000.00) but I declined. It's not right to make a pet suffer just because you don't want to say "Goodbye" to him.

Sometimes a Veterinarian will recommend treatment or diagnostic procedures motivated only by profit. It's easy to use a pet owner's love for their pet to generate income. When my other dog was 15, I took him to the Vet to remove a large cyst on his neck. I wanted to make sure it was harmless, which it was.
The Vet said, "Since he's a senior dog, I recommend doing a complete blood work, urinalysis, etc." I said, "OK, I'll do everything & I don't care about the cost....as long as you guarantee that those tests will turn his clock back & extend his life."
She said, "Ummm....well.....no, we can't do that."

The sky's the limit for my two. But, like win231 said, "there is a limit to how much suffering I would cause a pet just to extend his life".

How long is a piece of string. ? No expense spared in this family on the pets if it makes their quality of life good... ..but not as others have said to the detriment of their health!!

When my little guy Hoot (who crossed rainbow bridge a few months ago) was about a year old, he suffered a ruptured disc. Surgery to repair was about $3,500, Never considered not doing it. When coworkers asked why I was willing to spend so much, I had 2 responses: (1) he would do the same for me (2) I just take it out of his college fund...

I still miss him and Annie a lot.

This is something all pet-owners have to consider. One of my guinea pigs has just suffered a bladder infection. The treatment cost me nearly £100, which I was prepared to pay. However, the vet warned me that it could happen again. If it's going to be a re-curring problem, it might be kinder to put her down. It's a painful condition, and distressing for the owner.She could live for another 4/5 years. This is something I have to think about.

Yes, I would pay anything for the health of my pets. I am a pet parent and I will never consider any of my animal kids as disposable because it costs too much. That is what you do as a feeling human being.

Whatever is needed. We're on our 4th dog. They get all regular vet visits, any 'emergency' care, all required/suggested meds, whatever the vet suggests. We've only had one dog requiring surgery. They're family members.

Back