How much do you tip your barber or hair stylist?

I go to an old fashioned 2 chair barbershop, a father & son partnership.... it looks like it's something out of a Norman Rockwell picture. They're owners so I reckon tipping isn't as much a part of their expected income than if they were employees at someone else's shop. Anyway, a cut is $9.00 and I give them a ten but don't wait for change. One dollar isn't even really a tip, is it?
Well, $1 tip on $9 is a 11.12% tip

I always tip my hairdresser. For a trim only and I have short hair it's Ā£7. Ive been going to the salon for years and she doesn't increase her prices and does a pucker job. She has her own shop and is a one- woman band in a small premises. I always tip her just over 10% - give her a pound for the coffee pot.

I tip 10% generally and in restaurants and wherever i lay my hat so to speak where there is service. I resent service charges that some places include in a bill and wont pay it and tell the proprieter.

I always leave a tip for staff who valet a room in a hotel or Premiere Inn and sleepover places. These folk are not overly paid and a tip adds a bit to their pockets

The last time I tipped it was a $20. I believe; she colored my hair and cut it and styled it too. I don't get my hair done too often as I usually cut it myself.

Nothing - I cut my own hair, since I am certainly not going to be in any beauty pageants. Even if I goof, it will grow out in a few weeks and it has a natural curl that hides many mis-snips. Here I am at last year's senior club Christmas party. I have self-deluded myself into thinking that my hair is adequate for the occasion.

View attachment 85125

It looks great!

Nothing - I cut my own hair, since I am certainly not going to be in any beauty pageants. Even if I goof, it will grow out in a few weeks and it has a natural curl that hides many mis-snips. Here I am at last year's senior club Christmas party. I have self-deluded myself into thinking that my hair is adequate for the occasion.

View attachment 85125
Actually, I think it's very flattering. Almost reminds me of Angela Lansbury in "Murder She Wrote". I have no problem cutting my top and sides, but how do you cut the back? Mine is down to my shoulders in back, so no problem, but yours is much shorter. GREAT job!

I used to cut my hair, for decades. We had a mirror on a set-in cabinet behind the larger mirrors with fold-in side mirrors. It was easy when I kept my hair one length .. usually shoulder-length or longer.
Now, I go to a salon as I have layers, and can't do low-lights myself.

You need good, sharp, hairdresser scissors to do a good job.

I used to cut my hair, for decades. We had a mirror on a set-in cabinet behind the larger mirrors with fold-in side mirrors. It was easy when I kept my hair one length .. usually shoulder-length or longer.
Now, I go to a salon as I have layers, and can't do low-lights myself. You need good, sharp, hairdresser scissors to do a good job.

One of my young co-workers had long blond hair. She told me that she would tie her hair in a pony-tail at the top of her head close to the front and snip it off. Her hair would be shorter, even, and in layers. Worked good, but that's easy to do with long hair. At my age I like to wear it much shorter, around the base of the neck. My hair is wavy so it's hard to see a bad snip, anyway. I'm saving a bundle and I like that. I did buy haircutting scissors at Amazon.

As my hairstylist is me, I don't tip myself.šŸ˜ I like my hair very short so run the clippers over it once a week and do my husband's hair at the same time, it takes a couple of minutes each.

Back