How Often Do You Buy A Turkey?

Nuthin’ outside of thanksgiving. And if you wanna get technical, I don’t buy a turkey even then! My son in law buys and then makes the best smoked and deep fried turkeys you’ve ever eaten!! And he’s been tasked these last 10 years to do the turkeys, and the rest of the kinfolk make the sides!!

Once and sometimes twice, but the second one is not whole, but de-constructed for faster cooking. I don't know why; it's usually available, not expensive and tastes good.

Why don't we eat more turkey and give the chickens a break?

As for deep fried and smoked @Ronni, I've had both and they are delicious, but they don't make gravy!

The TV cooks brine their turkeys before roasting. I've never had the nerve to try this, but they swear you get a more tender and moist turkey. Has anyone done this?

One year I made a turkey ala Martha Stewart. It was incredible! You covered the bird with some layers of WASHED cheesecloth and baste often with melted butter and I think some white wine mixed in.

The resulting skin on that bird was as caramel brown and as crispy as a Peking duck.

Once and sometimes twice, but the second one is not whole, but de-constructed for faster cooking. I don't know why; it's usually available, not expensive and tastes good.

Why don't we eat more turkey and give the chickens a break?

As for deep fried and smoked @Ronni, I've had both and they are delicious, but they don't make gravy!

The TV cooks brine their turkeys before roasting. I've never had the nerve to try this, but they swear you get a more tender and moist turkey. Has anyone done this?

One year I made a turkey ala Martha Stewart. It was incredible! You covered the bird with some layers of WASHED cheesecloth and baste often with melted butter and I think some white wine mixed in.

The resulting skin on that bird was as caramel brown and as crispy as a Peking duck.
You're making me hungry, RR.

I don't brine mine, and I've never tried deep-fried turkey or the butter and wine basted method you speak of, but all sound worthy of trying.

We didn't always have turkey for Christmas. Now and then, it was a ham. One year I made a standing rib roast; very expensive and very good! People call it "prime rib" but the grade is not really "prime"- the restaurants get that, but we get "choice" grade which is still good and expensive enough.
Ham along with potato salad is, and has been the traditional meal for Easter in our house, and sometimes I'll make a ham and potato salad for supper on the day of Christmas Eve, otherwise I always make a turkey dinner for Christmas Day.

As for prime rib, I just turned out a true prime rib meal a couple of weeks back, and it truly is one of our very favourites.

Outside of Thanksgiving how often do you buy a turkey in one year?
We buy a turkey once a year when they're on sale around the holidays....but we don't bake it until months later, when we're in the mood for turkey. Been wondering how deep fried turkey would taste, heard a lot of positive feedback. Would like to buy a whole one, freshly fried, have to check into that locally.

You're making me hungry, RR.

I don't brine mine, and I've never tried deep-fried turkey or the butter and wine basted method you speak of, but all sound worthy of trying.
I was lucky to sample deep fried turkey as a guest. It was seasoned with a dry rub first. I am terrified of deep frying turkey; it must be done outside which is why it's more popular in the warmer south. Oil expands when hot so they have to know what they're doing...it's an art!

I was lucky to sample deep fried turkey as a guest. It was seasoned with a dry rub first. I am terrified of deep frying turkey; it must be done outside which is why it's more popular in the warmer south. Oil expands when hot so they have to know what they're doing...it's an art!
Absolutely, outside all the way.

We buy a turkey once a year when they're on sale around the holidays....but we don't bake it until months later, when we're in the mood for turkey. Been wondering how deep fried turkey would taste, heard a lot of positive feedback. Would like to buy a whole one, freshly fried, have to check into that locally.
Same here, SeaBreeze.

Grab two at sale time and plunk them into the deep-freezer for the future.

Oh Easter; usually roast leg of lamb or a ham. Scalloped potatoes if ham; new parsley potatoes if lamb. Peas. Early dinner.

Later supper was our own home made keilbasa, horseradish, rye bread, home fries and often cucumber salad. Ooof !

I can't recall how long it's been since I bought a whole turkey I know it's been a decade at least maybe more.

When I buy turkey now it's the turkey breast and I roast at in the oven.

I used to always buy a whole turkey or two during the annual turkey price wars just prior to Thanksgiving but I finally broke the cycle in 2016.

These days I get my holiday fix with a tub of this premium carved turkey from the folks at Hillshire Farms or a frozen meal.

1605170990808.jpeg

If you don't need a picture-perfect bird for the Thanksgiving table try this recipe for poached turkey.

https://www.cooks.com/recipe/vf0026eq/boiled-turkey.html

Last edited:

Back