How to decorate a 350 sq ft apartment?

A lot of great ideas and suggestions.
Have a floor plan with measurements of my future 1 bedroom suite, which is great to work on before I get there, and to know what will fit where.
One thing I’ve never had a liking for are mirrors…..Yes, they’re magic workers to make a place look bigger…..but I just don’t like them….never have…..have one in the bathroom, and that’s all.
In a small place, it's all the more important, to have only things that you like and that you enjoy seeing and using!:)

I didn't mean you should keep your previous one. :)
I meant that perhaps just one of the new smaller ones might be fine for you, in the studio, or perhaps you might instead, look for a new one that is between the size of your old one, and the one that is so small that you thought of buying 2 of it.;)

Just sharing ideas with you. You will figure out what works best for you, when you have moved and gotten a bit settled.:geek:
Thank you 🙂

I've always considered beds a waste of space. My 35 lb. pup and I share a twin-size bed. My thought is, get a sturdy twin bunk-bed set. You put plywood on one section for stacking of storage boxes and a twin mattress on whichever level you wish to sleep. I did this for my kids. Or, you can get twin beds with storage drawers underneath. I've even seen bunk beds that have build-in desks.

I'm thinking that there is probably a built-in eating area there. If not, I'm a fan of drop-leaf tables and benches that fit entirely under the table.

Off-white walls are wonderful, in my opinion. I put up some of my favorite things and really get to appreciate them against the plain background.

Wish I could be there to furnish and decorate - It's sounds like a fun challenge! Best of luck!

Do you think a sofa that turns into a bed would help?
That would not be my choice. I did have one that was comfortable to sleep on but most of them are not comfortable.

One of my clients has her bed in her living room and two chairs. There is a shelf unit that holds her TV and pictures. She lives on the 9th floor of a 14-floor building and has a very nice few of a hill covered with trees and a changing sky. I could sit there all day looking out her window and petting her cat. Her complex has many activities for social people and I think that is so important.

I have murals that seem to increase the size of a room, but I am now in a smaller apartment and my walls are covered with book and video shelves, so my murals are in their containers. I have my computer space and three chairs counting my desk chair. I can not do the entertaining I once did but I like my living space now that I am adjusted to a simpler home life without all the grandchildren and great-grandchildren that I used to care for. When I was doing the children I had a two-bedroom apartment with a larger living room.

Many of us in small apartments use TV trays. We can eat on them, play games on them, and fold them away when not in use.

I've always considered beds a waste of space. My 35 lb. pup and I share a twin-size bed. My thought is, get a sturdy twin bunk-bed set. You put plywood on one section for stacking of storage boxes and a twin mattress on whichever level you wish to sleep. I did this for my kids. Or, you can get twin beds with storage drawers underneath. I've even seen bunk beds that have build-in desks.

I'm thinking that there is probably a built-in eating area there. If not, I'm a fan of drop-leaf tables and benches that fit entirely under the table.

Off-white walls are wonderful, in my opinion. I put up some of my favorite things and really get to appreciate them against the plain background.

Wish I could be there to furnish and decorate - It's sounds like a fun challenge! Best of luck!
Thanks Em! I’m starting to see the fun!

That would not be my choice. I did have one that was comfortable to sleep on but most of them are not comfortable.

One of my clients has her bed in her living room and two chairs. There is a shelf unit that holds her TV and pictures. She lives on the 9th floor of a 14-floor building and has a very nice few of a hill covered with trees and a changing sky. I could sit there all day looking out her window and petting her cat. Her complex has many activities for social people and I think that is so important.

I have murals that seem to increase the size of a room, but I am now in a smaller apartment and my walls are covered with book and video shelves, so my murals are in their containers. I have my computer space and three chairs counting my desk chair. I can not do the entertaining I once did but I like my living space now that I am adjusted to a simpler home life without all the grandchildren and great-grandchildren that I used to care for. When I was doing the children I had a two-bedroom apartment with a larger living room.

Many of us in small apartments use TV trays. We can eat on them, play games on them, and fold them away when not in use.
Hi Vida, thank you. I forgot about TV trays! They are convenient. And company can use them too!

April, I found some photos of 350 sq ft apartments for you. Hopefully you can get some ideas from these as well.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=350+sq+ft+studio+apartment+photos&t=brave&iar=images&iax=images&ia=images
You are SO clever, Diva! It never occurred to me to hunt for a specific size design! Not that it's my space, but I thought the challenge was interesting. My daughter frequently states that she wants to ditch her big house for a tiny home, so I have considered furnishing and decorating small spaces before. Your search link is great! ~ Em

In a small place, it's all the more important, to have only things that you like and that you enjoy seeing and using!:)
You’re so right Kaila…….my joy is my corner curio cabinet filled with my bird collection, which I ‘m taking with me, the birds give me great joy……as do…..the pictures on my walls…..they’re of loons, winter scene with cardinals, fox, portraits of my past Shelties, collector plates, framed, of birds, and animals, most of which are by Terry McLean, one is signed by him.
I also have a collection of copper leaves, which I totally love……these things I enjoy them every day…..they’re what makes my home.
I’m hoping to invest in several area rugs to bring in some colour, and be cheery…..there’s a carpet covering in my future suit, very neutral, so adding the rugs will add my taste to the joint.

I’m surprised at myself somewhat……i’m 150% sure that the size of the suite will be fine……looking forward to the coziness.

Last edited:
You’re so right Kaila…….my joy is my corner curio cabinet filled with my bird collection, which I ‘m taking with me, the birds give me great joy……as do…..the pictures on my walls…..they’re of loons, winter scene with cardinals, fox, portraits of my past Shelties, collector plates, framed, of birds, and animals, most of which are by Terry McLean, one is signed by him.
I also have a collection of copper leaves, which I totally love……these things I enjoy them every day…..they’re what makes my home.
I’m hoping to invest in several area rugs to bring in some colour, and be cheery…..there’s a carpet covering in my future suit, very neutral, so adding the rugs will add my taste to the joint.

I’m surprised at myself somewhat……i’m 150% sure that the size of the suite will be fine……looking forward to the coziness.
Micka-- how big is your new place? The pictures sound really nice!

The smallest space I have lived in is my condo of 833sqft. I considered buying a studio that was 477 sq ft but after marking off the size so I could visualize better decided against it. I also have 2 Maltese. I have been here a year and like having a guest bedroom. I also like to have people over for dinner. Sometimes when I meet people they are shocked I live in such a small space and say they couldn’t do it.

The smallest space I have lived in is my condo of 833sqft. I considered buying a studio that was 477 sq ft but after marking off the size so I could visualize better decided against it. I also have 2 Maltese. I have been here a year and like having a guest bedroom. I also like to have people over for dinner. Sometimes when I meet people they are shocked I live in such a small space and say they couldn’t do it.
I also have 2 Maltese! 833 is huge in my opinion.

I guess they'd be awed by me then because I'm pretty sure our apartment, not counting the closets is about 700 Sq. feet. We do have great closet space though, including one for storage. Not sharing this space with any pets though. 833 sq. ft is a good size to me too @Aprilbday12

Back