How to keep brown sugar fresh

I though I was so clever putting an open bag of brown sugar in a zip-lock bag and squeezing the air out and putting it in the fridge. That didn't work. How can brown sugar be kept from hardening?

Just drop a couple of drops of water inside the bag and reseal the bag

That sounds good. I will try that, too.

I think at one time, I put a half slice of bread inside the baggie with it, and it absorbed the moisture from the bread,
softened up very well, and the bread gets tossed, but helped the meal. ;)

The video was impressive, and amusing, while looking worth a try as well. That method is the quickest, if one has a sudden urge for the wonderful taste of brown sugar! :LOL:

I think at one time, I put a half slice of bread inside the baggie with it, and it absorbed the moisture from the bread,
softened up very well, and the bread gets tossed, but helped the meal. ;)

The bread slice trick works too, but I hate wasting food. The 2-3 drops of water works well enough for me. I keep mine in the cupboard. I don't own a microwave and don't want one, so that's not an option for me. And I did use the hammer trick a couple of times. LOL

And I did use the hammer trick a couple of times. LOL

The hammer works well, I found, if your recipe calls for rocks of brown sugar :LOL:

and if your counter or flooring can handle the impact without being permanently damaged.
I like brown sugar but it isn't worth THAT much expense, plus the waste of the counter and flooring :ROFLMAO:

I agree, the drops of water sound excellent! (y)

The hammer works well, I found, if your recipe calls for rocks of brown sugar :LOL:

Yeah, I forgot to say, I also use brown sugar when I'm cooking oatmeal for breakfast (and also add raisins), so those ''rocks'' just melted while cooking. This was before I learned the water trick. I took the hard brown sugar outside and pounded it on a big rock, I didn't dare do it on the cement floor of my porch for fear of cracking it.

The bread slice trick works too, but I hate wasting food. The 2-3 drops of water works well enough for me. I keep mine in the cupboard. I don't own a microwave and don't want one, so that's not an option for me. And I did use the hammer trick a couple of times. LOL
I never resorted to the hammer but I have used a knuckle buster box grater to do the job.
1-7dc5ecdbde-Chef-Inox-4-Sided-Grater_1a_750px.jpg

i always put my brown sugar in a clean mayonaise jar--it keeps it fresh---did you know putting a slice of bread in your cookie container will soften them if they get stale

Just watched a cooking segment on you tube.
The cook showed how to keep brown sugar soft after opening.
It was a small clay figurine that you wet and put in with the sugar. Keeps it moist.
Hard sugar? If it's not too bad heat it in the microwave.
Really hard.? Heat in microwave. Add water and make a syrup. Works in recipes.

and if your counter or flooring can handle the impact without being permanently damaged.
I like brown sugar but it isn't worth THAT much expense, plus the waste of the counter and flooring :ROFLMAO:

I agree, the drops of water sound excellent! (y)
HAHAHAHA. You’re a total hoot.
It sounds like a lucile ball skit! 😂

Of course, instead of buying brown sugar separately, I've hear you can make your own mixing white granulated sugar with molasses. The more molasses, the darker the sugar. Proportions can probably be found on the Web.
Geez, and all this time I thought brown sugar was made from sugar canes. You learn something everyday.

Just watched a cooking segment on you tube.
The cook showed how to keep brown sugar soft after opening.
It was a small clay figurine that you wet and put in with the sugar. Keeps it moist.
Hard sugar? If it's not too bad heat it in the microwave.
Really hard.? Heat in microwave. Add water and make a syrup. Works in recipes.
I have one of those. It's called "Sugar Bear" and it works wonderfully well. Can't remember where I got it, probably a kitchen specialty store.

Back