Husband is retired and my home is not my own anymore

Welcome to the forum Jean.
A husband retiring is certainly a big change.
Why are you lacking sleep?
You haven’t explained anything about it so it’s difficult to comment on. Does he stay up late and keep you awake? Is he snoring too loud? Is he home nights now when he used to work?

Hi Jean,welcome glad you found us
You'll meet wonderful group of members from around the world here at SF
I hope your sleep problem goes away soon
Sue in Buffalo,NY

When my maternal grandfather retired, he no longer had anyone to supervise, so he "supervised" my grandmother.

"Why are you vacuuming the rug in that direction? You should do it in this direction. Those dishes would be better stacked like this. You missed a spot there. Tuesday is a better day for laundry than Wednesday." And so on.....

Not that he wanted to take over the chores, oh no. He just wanted to "critique".

My grandmother was an old-school Southern Lady, and you don't tell old-school Southern Ladies that they're chopping up collard greens with the wrong knife.

The breaking point came when he started going to the grocery store with her and wanted to "improve" her style of shopping.

Somehow she had managed to make it through more than 40 years of housekeeping just fine, but suddenly needed "directions"..

As the saying goes: "I married you for better or for worse... but not for retirement!"

I was always amazed when my husband used to explain something to me that I had explained to him years ago.
It reminds me of when we were children and little girls were told not to beat boys at games or sports because it would hurt their egos. Thank goodness, times have changed.

Welcome to the forum, Jean. :)

My husband retired and my home is not my own anymore. Sleep deprivation.
It was an adjustment in routine for me, when my wife retired- I had been retired 4 years earlier than she, although she mostly retired from contributing to any kind of house keeping, once we got married.
Sleep? She has always snored, but it doesn't bother me.

Hi @Jean, why isn't your home yours anymore and why can't you sleep? My husband and I retired around the same time over ten years ago and it's been great. We both still share our king size bed with our furkids and get between 7-8 hours of sleep every night.

full

When my maternal grandfather retired, he no longer had anyone to supervise, so he "supervised" my grandmother.

"Why are you vacuuming the rug in that direction? You should do it in this direction. Those dishes would be better stacked like this. You missed a spot there. Tuesday is a better day for laundry than Wednesday."
Heh, I once rearranged my wife's kitchen cabinets while she shopped

Once

She didn't say much
Prolly jealous I was more organized

I went somewhere
When I returned, all my tools, even nuts and bolts, were dumped on the shop floor

I didn't say anything
At dinner she said 'oh, by the way, I rearranged your shop'

I laughed so hard, I almost blew a bean outa my nose

We had a good time that night

Heh, I once rearranged my wife's kitchen cabinets while she shopped

Once

She didn't say much
Prolly jealous I was more organized

I went somewhere
When I returned, all my tools, even nuts and bolts, were dumped on the shop floor

I didn't say anything
At dinner she said 'oh, by the way, I rearranged your shop'

I laughed so hard, I almost blew a bean outa my nose

We had a good time that night
You’re a good man Gary.
That was killer funny that I can definitely relate to.

Back