I am craving split pea soup.

Never learned to make it. I found out it was my Mom's favorite when I grew up. She never made it because us kids would not eat it. I would agree that the ham bone or some sort of ham would be needed. Bet you can find a great recipe on line using dried peas!!

In my other life (ie younger with family) it was split pea soup after the Easter ham. I saved the "skin" plus bones for a great flavourful soup. Surprisingly, the sons always ate pieces of the skin (when I am not looking, LOLOL)

I don't know...:but, I never, ever really liked. Sorry

I guess I like my peas whole!🤭
And I, myself, prefer my peas without the ham; 😁😉
they're yummy enough for me, with carrots and potato and herbs....☺️🥰😋
Some turnip or rutabaga in there, in addition, would be nice too, if anyone is making one pot with and one pot without, the ham,
in order to serve and accommodate all of us here at SF!😁😊

I always start with the usual soup veg's... sauteed onion, carrot and celery.

Then I add fresh garlic, not the jarred stuff. The proportions of liquid to peas on the back of the dried peas bag.

Rinse the peas first. Add to pot with water and salt, or with ham broth and a ham bone if desired. simmer till peas are soft.
I also add carrots and a cut up potato to my pea soup with this recipe. Potato helps thicken the soup. Delicious.

Not a soup person. However, I always loved Habitant Pea Soup. Off limits for vegans because it contains lard (I'm not a vegan). I was never able to make anything half as delicious on my own. Unfortunately, I can no longer eat pea soup 😭.

I hope you find a wonderful recipe!
View attachment 247894
When I was a child Habitant pea soup was sold in the US, or at least in CT where I live. My mother loved it! She would make her own sometimes, but I would never touch it then.

I just cut up a large ham yesterday, and thought the same thing. Wouldn't some pea soup be good. Have the bone in the freezer, and will pick up the other ingredients next time I'm in town.

Back