I am thinking about purchasing a treadmill, since we can not go to gyms.

This is my third treadmill. Last one stopped functioning after about 2 and 1/2 years (motor problems). I love them. It's a fold up one and is easy for me to move.It's positioned so I can look out of the back door and watch the birds etc. I use it every other day ( have an exercise bike as well) for 30 mins which is the set time on this one. I think I can alter it but 30 mins is good.
Would not like it to be placed where there is nothing of interest to see. Would find that boring although I sometimes look at my smart phone and put the headphones on the radio. They can make a bit of a noise after a while and they need a certain type of oil which you put under the mat to keep the motor running. That bit still remains confusing to me. o_O
I think it's worth an investment if you are serious about using it although I would take Aunt Bea's advice if you are able to have a dog. Good luck and happy walking/ running. Just some thoughts ☺

I bought one years ago. Like Aunt Bee's, it made an excellent clothes rack.

I was tooling along on mine one day, my mind out somewhere in left field and I "forgot" to keep walking. I also didn't have the "safety tether" clipped on that stops the machine when the safety plug is pulled loose. Boys and girls, don't try this at home...…. I wasn't hurt badly, but I was hurt. And that's how it became such a nice clothes rack....

My son bought us one a few years ago. I find it so boring. I tried reading on it but I seem to lose my balance. Hooked up a TV and couldn't get interested in any program, tried listening to music and just about fell asleep on my feet.
I may try dangling a Twinkle from a string just out of reach but even that may not be enough motivation.
That might work for me, laughed so hard I had tears running down my legs 😆

On the recommendation of our son we bought a pro-form pro9000. He has one & helped me assemble it in the corner of our bedroom. We use it a couple times a week. Between the programs & music we can plug in it isn't boring but time in use is typically a half hour.

We walk 5 days a week in the park so the treadmill augments our attempt to stay healthy.

I would not recommend getting one for several reason:

- There is a reason why every gym you walk into will have one (or more treadmills) out of service. They break down frequently! I had one for a long time and used it a lot, but I had to rebuild it after a several years, and that is not a task for the timid. If you consider how they are built and the mechanics of them, you quickly come to the conclusion that while they are nice at the gym, you do not want to own one. Belt slippage is a frequent problem and while you can run on them while they are new, you will be limited to walking as they get older. When it came time to rebuild mine a second time, the parts were no longer available so I had to get rid of it.
- They take up quite a bit of floorspace, and they are very heavy. When I disposed of mine, I had to take it apart before I could get the city to pick it up.
- They are noisy, very noisy. You don't notice it at the gym, but my wife was happy to see it go.
- Finally, of all exercise machines, they are probably the most dangerous. People fall off of them frequently.

If you do buy one, don't go cheap.

These days I use a decent recumbent bicycle, a decent rower, a decent cable machine, dumbbells, and a yoga mat. I also walk when the weather is agreeable.

I’d prefer to do my walking outside in the fresh air but the perpetual heat wears me down fast. So about 4 years ago i bought a secondhand treadmill for $200 and now rarely miss a day on it. Usually either the music is juked up or i’ll set the ipad tuned to netflix on the control board to stave off treadmill boredom. Even a mere mile or two a day does wonders in keeping A1C levels in check...and just an fyi....there are many outstanding deals to be had on used treadmills.
C96085D8-596A-48E4-A0A4-6DF3C3B138A7.jpeg
(still purring like a kitten, too)

I’d prefer to do my walking outside in the fresh air but the perpetual heat wears me down fast. So about 4 years ago i bought a secondhand treadmill for $200 and now rarely miss a day on it. Usually either the music is juked up or i’ll set the ipad tuned to netflix on the control board to stave off treadmill boredom. Even a mere mile or two a day does wonders in keeping A1C levels in check...and just an fyi....there are many outstanding deals to be had on used treadmills.
View attachment 115046
(still purring like a kitten, too)
At that price you got a very good deal, and yours does not look like a cheapo.

You're much better off with an elliptical. You get the same exercise on a treadmill that you get while walking; maybe even less, since it's motorized. Unlike a treadmill, an elliptical works your upper body where 40% of your muscles are.
But, you have to be willing to spend money on a good one. You want separate resistance for the arms & legs. The cheaper ones link both together. And a cheap one won't last.

You're much better off with an elliptical. You get the same exercise on a treadmill that you get while walking; maybe even less, since it's motorized. Unlike a treadmill, an elliptical works your upper body where 40% of your muscles are.
But, you have to be willing to spend money on a good one. You want separate resistance for the arms & legs. The cheaper ones link both together. And a cheap one won't last.
I bought a Proform combination elliptical/recumbant bicycle about 7 years ago, and have used it for 5-6 days a week for 35-4 minutes a day since then, with breaks for minor surgery (pacemaker last summer), a broken right wrist followed by surgery on that wrist, occasional use of the guest room where the thing lives.
It's still going strong, though the LCD display no longer works ( I watch something inane on the TV or listen to music and generally estimate the time I've spent on it). I can work at my own pace, more so one day, less if I'm tired, and it's right there so there are no excuses to not use it.
I'm way past the age where I have any illusions that exercise will improve my looks or abs or anything, but I can for sure see the health benefits that regular exercise has brought. That's my motivation to keep going.

I agree. I would have gotten an elliptical to begin with instead of the threadmill, but regrettably the overhead clearance in my office/gym was barely high enough to handle a threadmill. An elliptical would have had me banging my head on the ceiling.
But I am pretty sure that maintaining an elliptical would have been way easier. Between belt stretch and the drive roller you have two headaches.

Any thoughts on this topic? How many of you have purchased one? How long did you use it?
Wow. Is that an Aosa Clematis in your avatar. It’s a clematis of some type right?

This is a GREAT idea. Either get a dog so you have to walk it or get some type of exercise equipment. The suggestions you got from here are really good. Get a good bike.

I believe with every cell of my being that daily exercise absolutely WILL change your life for the best. It’s proven that it increases blood flow and ‘ feel good ‘ brain chemicals. These are natural occurring chemicals that make you feel good. Even if you get a treadmill, it’s good to walk outside if you can as well. The fresh air and being close to natural is very soul soothing and tranquil. Planning to exercise is a wise choice for your mind and body.

My son bought us one a few years ago. I find it so boring. I tried reading on it but I seem to lose my balance. Hooked up a TV and couldn't get interested in any program, tried listening to music and just about fell asleep on my feet.
I may try dangling a Twinkle from a string just out of reach but even that may not be enough motivation.
I'm with you Ruth, sorry treadmill users, i can't make myself use one, no way, no how.
Have a stationary bike, use it on regular basis, got one since my knee replacements, to keep them from stiffening up.
Have 3 dogs, we walk.

Wow. Is that an Aosa Clematis in your avatar. It’s a clematis of some type right?

This is a GREAT idea. Either get a dog so you have to walk it or get some type of exercise equipment. The suggestions you got from here are really good. Get a good bike.

I believe with every cell of my being that daily exercise absolutely WILL change your life for the best. It’s proven that it increases blood flow and ‘ feel good ‘ brain chemicals. These are natural occurring chemicals that make you feel good. Even if you get a treadmill, it’s good to walk outside if you can as well. The fresh air and being close to natural is very soul soothing and tranquil. Planning to exercise is a wise choice for your mind and body.
Absolutely. I've been a regular exerciser for a number of years now, and I find it helps keep my blood pressure under control ( unfortunately still have to take meds but exercise makes a difference), better mobility and less joint stiffness. My choice of exercise is an at home combinationelliptical/recumbant bike as a baseline, I walk sometimes, but there are many ways to get exercise. As I have been told, the best type of exercise is one that you will keep doing.

what kind of music are you listening to on there? lol!

Back