I do not have health insurance but pay a penalty of about $1000 at tax time

Bretrick

My whole life I have received free medical care/treatment except to purchase dentures.
I have Ambulance cover @ $60/year, because here there is only one service which is a private company. An ambulance, uninsured, cost $1006 no matter the distance.
Senior citizens are not charged.
When I look at the cost of Health Insurance for myself - single - Basics cover it is approximately $900/year.
Top cover is approximately $2000/year.
These figures rise every year.

What's the difference in the benefits you'd receive between basic and top coverage? Seems to me that if you have to pay $1,000 anyway, you may as well at least get the basic coverage and save that $100. It's good you have ambulance coverage just in case.

What's the difference in the benefits you'd receive between basic and top coverage? Seems to me that if you have to pay $1,000 anyway, you may as well at least get the basic coverage and save that $100. It's good you have ambulance coverage just in case.
Insurance premiums rise twice a year plus there are always gap payments - (insurance might only cover 85% of a procedure)

Insurance premiums rise twice a year plus there are always gap payments - (insurance might only cover 85% of a procedure)
Same here with Medicare. So are you considered a senior citizen? Not all members on the forum are yet. In fact, at what age are you considered a senior in Australia? In New Jersey, public transportation gives senior discounts starting at age 62. That's also the earliest age we can collect social security.

Same here with Medicare. So are you considered a senior citizen? Not all members on the forum are yet. In fact, at what age are you considered a senior in Australia? In New Jersey, public transportation gives senior discounts starting at age 62. That's also the earliest age we can collect social security.
The age designating a Senior Citizen is 65.
Accessing super is 65.
Access to the Age Pension is 67
I am 60 so still have a full 7 years before I can retire on a pension because I do not have enough funds to retire.

Back