I don't know whether I'm an abject failure in the kitchen or not

i learned my way around the kitchen from my grandmother. she made real food, no froo froo ingredients. she would occasionally burn something (and then giggle about it) but vast majority of her meals were yummy, memory makers.

dad was a pretty good cook (nana made him) and big fan of PBS cooking shows back in the day of Julia in B&W. when Jeff Smith made Beef Wellington... i knew i could do that. what was it? a big hunk of BIG $$$ filet wrapped in a pastry crust. how hard could it be??:rolleyes: it looked fabulous going into oven and fabulouser coming out. we came close to needing a chisel to get thru that crust! luckily the hunka beef came out perfect.

I like what GeorgiaXplant posted about! I do like to try new things or some ethnic recipes if ypthe ingredients are affordable & not be some $10 exotic that I’ll try once & dislike.
It seems like the weekly food page in the paper is full of recipes that would cost a fortune, take hours & taste awful. So many recipes that I added to my repertoire were from cookbooklets published by the various women’s groups I belonged to over the years.
I am careful about and avoid or use less of some ingredients for health reasons, but wouldn’t want to force that on anyone else.

Ever tried pie crust without salt? I did and it was totally boring. It was during the time when I was testing out whether or not salt raised my blood pressure. Turns out salt does not raise my bp, even though it's supposed to.

We were busy today helping my granddaughter, she bought a new home...
So It's Sunday...Hubby loves Sunday Dinner....when we got t-home I defrosted chop meat....
We always have spaghetti. I also had a can of Red Sauce or if you want to call it gravy....I put all of the ,seasonings in the
Sauce for an hour....Or gravy if you are Italian!!!!
We had some wine and we were so hungry we almost ate all of the spaghetti....Hubby can have the rest for tomorrow....

We both were brought up with our Mom's making spaghetti...On Sunday...And sometimes on Wednesday...

We were busy today helping my granddaughter, she bought a new home...
So It's Sunday...Hubby loves Sunday Dinner....when we got t-home I defrosted chop meat....
We always have spaghetti. I also had a can of Red Sauce or if you want to call it gravy....I put all of the ,seasonings in the
Sauce for an hour....Or gravy if you are Italian!!!!
We had some wine and we were so hungry we almost ate all of the spaghetti....Hubby can have the rest for tomorrow....

We both were brought up with our Mom's making spaghetti...On Sunday...And sometimes on Wednesday...
Are you Italian?

On all these cooking shows, the food is all prepped and set in nice little bowls to toss in. Then they demonstrate how easy it is and can be done really quickly. Someone needs to remind them than the prep took ages and someone else is doing the dishes.

I like what GeorgiaXplant posted about! I do like to try new things or some ethnic recipes if ypthe ingredients are affordable & not be some $10 exotic that I’ll try once & dislike.
It seems like the weekly food page in the paper is full of recipes that would cost a fortune, take hours & taste awful. So many recipes that I added to my repertoire were from cookbooklets published by the various women’s groups I belonged to over the years.
I am careful about and avoid or use less of some ingredients for health reasons, but wouldn’t want to force that on anyone else.
Yessss! The cookbooks put together and sold by church ladies' groups, schools, civic groups. Those are absolutely the best because after all, who would submit a bad recipe? Anybody who's going to give a recipe is going to be darned sure it's her/his absolute best recipe, one that friends and family ask for over and over again. And they're almost always something simple and calling for ingredients that we all have in our pantries.

Some of my other favorite cookbooks are the "Gooseberry Patch" cookbooks. Most of the recipes are submitted by fans and tested by the ladies who publish the books.

I think specialty diets for people with metabolic disorders like diabetes, celiac disease, heart disease, high cholesterol etc. are specific diets from necessity, not preference.

Years ago, we hadn’t even heard of most of these disorders. We ate real food when we were kids and still eat real food. Most things are made from scratch.

I like trying new recipes and new types of foods. It makes life more interesting

Last edited:
I don’t think specialty diets for people with metabolic disorders like diabetes, celiac disease, high disease, high cholesterol etc. Being on a specific diet is a necessity, not a preference.

Years ago, we hadn’t even heard of most of these disorders. We ate real food when we were kids and still eat real food. Most things are made from scratch.

I like trying new recipes and new types of foods. It makes life more interesting
Would you come cook my dinners? ;)

Would you come cook my dinners? ;)
You bet! I had a job once as a personal cook for two operas singers when we first moved to the country and it was actually awesome. A Victorian farmhouse with acres of land, a veggie garden, an amazing kitchen cooking wood stove that you could bake bread in while cooking homemade soup from scratch. A dog to walk everyday plus they paid really well. See what I mean about adding too much detail? It was a simple yes or no question. 😬🤣

Back