I gashed my knuckle

I was using Neosporin so much that when I would put it on a cut it would have big red streaks & swell up to about like your picture in a day.
I went t the Dr. he said STOP using it ever again, you have built up an allergic reaction to it. Dumb me I got another cut about 4 months later working on equipment in the pole barn, put Neosporin on it, again swelled up & had major red streaks.
Dr. said those red streaks are infections spreading through your body. Gave me a shot of something & the red streaks were gone the next day.

He said didn't I tell you to never use Neosporin again? I said yes, he gave me several pouches of vaseline to put on any cuts I got in the future. So now all I can use is Vasaline.

Went to another emergency clinic. Never saw an actual doctor, just a nurse practitioner. She ordered x-ray only because she said it would give her tme to figure out what to do. WHAT TO DO????? I'd think a laceration was a pretty common thing to treat. I was there three hours - all that for a Tdap shot and one stitch!

View attachment 188843
That's quite a swell in anybodies book. I'd watch it.

I was using Neosporin so much that when I would put it on a cut it would have big red streaks & swell up to about like your picture in a day.
I went t the Dr. he said STOP using it ever again, you have built up an allergic reaction to it. Dumb me I got another cut about 4 months later working on equipment in the pole barn, put Neosporin on it, again swelled up & had major red streaks.
Dr. said those red streaks are infections spreading through your body. Gave me a shot of something & the red streaks were gone the next day.

He said didn't I tell you to never use Neosporin again? I said yes, he gave me several pouches of vaseline to put on any cuts I got in the future. So now all I can use is Vasaline.
This is the first I've heard of an allergy to Neosporin, which I've been using for years. Anyone can have an allergic reaction to anything. And the only way to know is to have an initial reaction; just as with food allergies.
Years ago, I tried soft contact lenses. My eyes turned beet red after a couple of days. The problem was traced to an allergy to Thimerosol - a technical name for Mercury used as a preservative. The optometrist told me it was very rare to have an allergic reaction to it. But a few years later, Mercury was taken out & replaced with Citric Acid.
Many vaccines use Mercury as a preservative.

LOL I love a lady who can laugh in the face of pain!

Hope it's all settling down by now. It reminds me of when our cat bit my son's finger and it blew up quite a bit. Ouch.
A cat bite is more serious because they have many strains of bacteria in their mouth (like all carnivores) & their sharp teeth go deep into the wound & transfer the bacteria much further into tissue.

It's a good day when I'm fiddling around outdoors and Don't scrape myself on something. With my old Thin Skin, it doesn't take much to draw some blood. Therefore, I keep some Kleenex, anti-biotic cream, and some Band-Aids in my shed, and just stop for a minute, to clean the wound, apply some cream and a band-aid....then, back to work.
@Don M.
We may be brothers from another mother

There isn't a day my, onion paper thin Irish skin, hands aren't bleeding.

Another reason I keep a bit of whiskey nearby

This one was a bit over the top, but got the bleeding stopped, and went back to work in a few minutes;

klmnV6G.jpg

But, normally, just some scrapes;

hands 7.jpg

Stiches.....pffft

I'd live at the ER

For those using petroleum jelly, just be certain that it’s immaculate. My ex used petroleum jelly for reloading (that other thread reminded me of this) and I didn’t know he‘d done this. I had a cold sore on my lips and applied Vaseline. Ended up with a severe infection and on antibiotics for many days.

Last edited:
As I say to my grandson: BE CAREFUL. You can climb Mt. Everest one day but BE CAREFUL.

Deb gets into a lot of accidents. Be Careful, keep your mind on what you are doing. At all times.

It's in a difficult and annoying spot. Because you must use your hands. In general, for ordinary tasks, and especially while trying to pack and move.

Plus, I wondered if you have to wear a plastic glove, often, or as an alternative, never wash you hands?:oops::rolleyes::confused:

My wording for: Did they say to keep it dry? That would be challenging for me.

(editing: I didn't realize there was an additional page to this thread. Now that I saw more recent those posts, this one of mine is probably not applicable any longer. )

Last edited:
Great article about reasons to stop using Antibiotic cream, @hollydolly posted link in this thread.

The article points out that it does not speed healing, and has common allergens which do the opposite. I was surprised when I realized it, while using it, and then, the Dermatology Doctor confirmed it. Wow.
A small spot of very clean Vasoline is better. Don't mix uses of same container.

Last edited:
My take-home instructions were to wash it once a day with mild soap and PAT dry adn put a dab of antibiotic ointment on it. Cover with a bandaid. Like someone said - it's in a difficult place - always bending, so a bandaid doesn't stay well there.
Glad its better, Deb. Sounds like good advice from the doctor. Sorry it happened with all that you are trying to do.

Back