I Grew Up Back When - Post Your Memories...

I worked more than I played by my choice. I lived with my grandparents since age 9 and they owned a farm. I loved my grandparents so much that I wanted to do as much as I could to help them. I played sports at school because my Gramps encouraged me to, but I would rather have been working on the farm. My Gramps used to tell me to “slow down. You’re making me tired watching you.”

I was pretty good at playing football and baseball and received offers to visit campuses, but my mind was made up. I wanted to go to the Naval Academy. I was on the practice squad of the football team, but I was on the baseball team and started at catcher during my senior season.

I grew up when doing laundry was an all day affair....taking all the dirty clothes to the laundry mat in town, bringing it all home and hanging on the clothes line, bringing it in when dry, folding and putting it away except for the clothes that needed ironing, those were 'sprinkled', rolled up and put in the refrigerator to be ironed later....makes me tired just thinking about it.

Remember when folks use to line their garage walls with their old license plates? Back before they started issuing stickers every year. When I was a kid a couple of my older neighbors had all the plates they ever had on display. Here in Ohio they would change colors every year, it was neat to look at the dates and different colors.

Remember when folks use to line their garage walls with their old license plates? Back before they started issuing stickers every year. When I was a kid a couple of my older neighbors had all the plates they ever had on display. Here in Ohio they would change colors every year, it was neat to look at the dates and different colors.
Remember stickers? I renewed my car license last week. The lady said they don't issue stickers any more!

I wondered the same. I guess it's all in the computer.
Yes, they can run the plate, owner names, address and registration all shows up. The police are permitted now to run tags all they want.

During 2020-2021 I'd somehow totally forget to renew tags. I went to online portal and it said "You cannot renew as your tags expired last year"

Luckily for me, the cops were told to ignore tags that were 1-2 years out of date, due to pandemic. I had to wait till Nov 18th to renew ($168) or I'd be paying twice.

most Mothers were home taking care of their children hubby and home.
I would imagine that might be true for some middle and upper class females, but I doubt it holds true for many, many not of those classes. I'll take today over "the good old days" any day - and I suspect I am not alone in that preference. Too many things were verboten to females then!

I would imagine that might be true for some middle and upper class females, but I doubt it holds true for many, many not of those classes. I'll take today over "the good old days" any day - and I suspect I am not alone in that preference. Too many things were verboten to females then!
That's one of the reasons I admired my Dad working 2 jobs so my Mom could stay home with us kids. His Mom made him quit school at 11 yrs old so he could help the family and his 5 younger sisters. of course then she had 4 other kids. When he got married at 16 yrs old she got mad at him and hated my Mom and when my brother and sister and I were born hated all 3 of us.

A couple of people and I were talking about traveler's checks today. I know that they are still around (I think) and not a memory of my youth but I had forgotten all about them until the topic came up. I did use them all the time back in the 80's and 90's when I traveled. Again, not a distant youth memory but I did get warm fuzzy feelings today thinking about travelers checks and this commercial

Back