I have a European travel gripe

retiredtraveler

For everyone who has traveled overseas in warm weather, you know that a/c is rare outside of the U.S. And, you might be aware that we seem to be in a pattern of record heat in many parts of Europe, every summer.
My gripe ---- every hotel and B&B room should have a good sized fan. I don't expect accommodations to install a/c, but why can't they get some fans?

End of gripe.

For everyone who has traveled overseas in warm weather, you know that a/c is rare outside of the U.S. And, you might be aware that we seem to be in a pattern of record heat in many parts of Europe, every summer.
My gripe ---- every hotel and B&B room should have a good sized fan. I don't expect accommodations to install a/c, but why can't they get some fans?

End of gripe
AC certainly is NOT rae in Europe, it's everywhere..hotels , Malls Bars, etc.. it's rare in homes in the UK.. and possibly Germany & Northern France.. but Mediterranean Europe is fully equipped with AC

AC certainly is NOT rae in Europe, it's everywhere..hotels , Malls Bars, etc.. it's rare in homes in the UK.. and possibly Germany & Northern France.. but Mediterranean Europe is fully equipped with AC
"....Spain’s government last week approved a temporary law which increased the minimum temperature that air conditioning units may be set to, from 26C to 27C. It will come into force on Wednesday.....".
That's 80 degrees F. That is not a/c.
Anyway, Switzerland doesn't have it either and now, for several years, the Alps are too warm to sleep at night for periods of time. But, to be honest, I have not been to Mediterranean Europe -- no interest in that. Maybe I should consider changing if they allow A/C to go to at least 22c.

"....Spain’s government last week approved a temporary law which increased the minimum temperature that air conditioning units may be set to, from 26C to 27C. It will come into force on Wednesday.....".
That's 80 degrees F. That is not a/c.
Anyway, Switzerland doesn't have it either and now, for several years, the Alps are too warm to sleep at night for periods of time. But, to be honest, I have not been to Mediterranean Europe -- no interest in that. Maybe I should consider changing if they allow A/C to go to at least 22c.
Most office buildings in Switzerland do not have air conditioning. They rely on external blinds, good insulation and double glazing. My brother lives in Zollikon and only two years ago, he installed A/C in his home.

Only around 25% of homes in France and Germany have A/C . Last year the Spanish government passed a rule that hotels and office buildings should have adequate A/C.
Doesn't matter which hotel you stay in Europe, you can always ask for a fan.

End of gripe.
No problem, you stay and vacation in the US and everyone else can choose whether to copy you or not.

For what it's worth, My wife and I would cross the pond twice a year for over twenty five years. That all ended with a firearms incident whilst in the US. So, now our only problem is how big a fan should we install. That's as far removed from the experience involving firearms in the US as you could imagine.

My relatives in Poland don’t have AC because of the cost of electricity. They don’t have a clothes dryer either. They own a 2 family home and live in the apartment on the top. It can get pretty hot and miserable in the summer. I only go to Europe in the spring or fall.

My relatives in Poland don’t have AC because of the cost of electricity. They don’t have a clothes dryer either. They own a 2 family home and live in the apartment on the top. It can get pretty hot and miserable in the summer. I only go to Europe in the spring or fall.
Poland is a very poor country,.... but Poland and the UK and Switzerland et al are only hot for a short time in summer.. miserable tho' it is without AC, it's the reason most of us don't have it in our homes. Unlike Spain, Portugal, the south of France and Italy etc where it's cheap to have installed .. AC is expensive to have installed here .. in the chillier north

Back