I have an infestation of fruit flies

Marie5656

I do not remember ever having so many for so long. So, I looked up home remedies for dealing with them. The one I am going to try is from the Good Housekeeping website. I took a part bottle of cider vinegar I had. Put in a couple drops of dish soap. Then I put some tin foil over the top and poked a couple small holes in it. Left it on kitchen counter in area where most of them congregate. Apparently they are attracted to the vinegar, and if things go as planned, once they go into the bottle they will not be able to get out. I will let you know what happens.

I get them when the bananas start to ripen in the fruit bowl in the kitchen, and then I have to throw the bananas out..then the fruit flies leave..it's a real PITA...

I think that is when mine moved in. Had a couple too ripe bananas. Hope this works.

I do not remember ever having so many for so long. So, I looked up home remedies for dealing with them. The one I am going to try is from the Good Housekeeping website. I took a part bottle of cider vinegar I had. Put in a couple drops of dish soap. Then I put some tin foil over the top and poked a couple small holes in it. Left it on kitchen counter in area where most of them congregate. Apparently they are attracted to the vinegar, and if things go as planned, once they go into the bottle they will not be able to get out. I will let you know what happens.

I bet that will work and I will do it right now! My dentists's assistant has them too.

The other night, I left a half a glass of dry white wine on my end table before going to bed. In the morning I brought it to the sink and some of them flew out! So the vinegar will surely work. Thanks.

I had them too. But my trap had beer instead of vinegar. You don't need a lot. About an inch.

I noticed whenever I had a glass of beer waiting to be washed they were right there on the rim.

They are hatching somewhere though. They are hard to get rid of.

Try pouring bleach down your kitchen drains. Often that is where they are hatching.

We have a real problem with them here this time of year because of the wine grapes. You can drive down the road and get drunk just from the smell lol. This year hasn`t been as bad as usual-must be due to the fires. But normally,especially if you`re drinking a glass of wine,you have to fight them for it. Even in restaurants.

By the way,I`ve never had any luck with the vinegar in a covered dish method....

I used apple cider vinegar too and put it in a small glass or jar about 1/4 of the way up. I didn't cover it. The vinegar breaks the tension on top of the water (so they just fly in for a drink and drown) and the apple aroma lures them in (just like your wine grapes do MR). That worked for me but I only did it once. I never had a problem after that.

My mother had them in her ice maker spout from the freezer. I have no idea why they went in there but they were non-stop until we did the apple cider vinegar trick. We did several small glasses around the kitchen...and check the spout often.

I've used a small bowl uncovered in the past with red wine vinegar and dish soap mix, worked pretty well, but had to put one in a couple of rooms and change daily to keep it bubbly. Caught quite a few that way, they come in with peaches, plums, bananas, etc.

The trap is not the solution. If any get away they will continue to infest. You have to find out where the breeding spot is and get rid of it. What are they doing congregating? They are breeding.

Check the bathroom. You will probably find them there as well if things are bad.

A wet mop. Something like that. Something under the sink.

I even tried burning a candle under the sink and creating smoke.

I would estimate it took me more than a month to finally see the last of them.

Now when I buy fruit I wash it immediately, even bananas.

No flies in my vinegar this morning. So, I took the foil off, changed it's position and poured bleach in the sink drain. Later, I'll bleach the rest of the drains.

I think I'll pump spray a little plant insecticide on the soil of my plants. I hate to do it, but maybe they breed there, too.

Well, there seem to be a few less flies today, but I do not know. I am out of bleach, but had planned to buy some anyway, so I will try that in all the drains, though they are mainly in the kitchen, and seem to congregate over the counter by the fridge. Never heard of the burning a candle method, will try that too.

I agree with Mrs. Robinson. Our bug guy was here the other day and he said to put bleach in every drain once a month. This is where they breed and this will help. We have had a lot of them too.

Another place they like to congregate is in the stagnant standing water under house plants. Try not to overwater plants but if you do, get rid of the water right away.

I find it hard to believe that they breed in the drains with

all the soap and chemicals and water that go through there every day. It might be true but I find it hard to believe.

They lay lay eggs and the eggs hatch.

I think we all agree that moisture plays a part.

Really? I went back and re-read the thread and there was no prior mention of the saucers under plants. There was a mention of plant soil, but that's a different kettle of fish.

I worked in a law office where one of the attorneys had a bunch of plants that she tended to overwater. We had the two top floors of a large building and the entire top floor was infested. It would have been funny if it hadn't been such a nuisance. They actually paid some guy to come and look all over. He finally showed them all of the plants in that office had standing water. It was the perfect home for them, wet, warm and a little rotten-ish.

And there are all kinds of places where the plants are watered and the dishes catch the extra water and they have no bugs.

They have to be brought in to start the infestation. Once they start breeding the rate of multiplication is enormous.

Dont the dishes hold water? Don't we spot them around sinks? Don't we spot them in bathrooms.

Dont we all agree that moisture plays a part?

I have one fruit fly hanging around. I got rid of the old banana but still have this one pestering me. Going to try the bleach in the drain.

When fruit flies are around I put a small saucer of Apple cider vinegar with a drop of dawn dish detergent. I sprinkle a pinch of sugar on the top. It attracts them and they drown.

Well, the vinegar has not helped. I will have to look into the other suggestions in this thread to find a clue. Hope to evict them before Thanksgiving. Thanks, everyone, for thoughts and suggestions.

Back