I have to make some tough decisions

How do you connect to the internet right now, @debodun ? Whatever you are doing with your old computer should also work with any new one that you decide to get. Look at your modem, and see if there is some kind of antenna setup there. Even if you are wired in to the modem right now, if there is an antenna, it is set up for WiFi.

I don’t have any problems at all with the external keyboard for my ipad, @Liberty . It is probably just a little smaller than a full-sized computer keyboard, but plenty big enough to easily type with, and much easier than using the virtual keyboards that come with tablets.
Here is a picture of my ipad and keyboard. View attachment 89499
Looks like in the pix you have the tablet propped up, right? So agree about those virtual build in ones. Yuk.

Thanks for letting me know. Since we're retired, hub and I have been talking about what we'd do if and when we need to get new Macs.

I have had a Chromebook for at least two years now. It still works perfectly, unlike other laptops I have had, which get clogged up and get really slow.
I also have a desk-top pc, which I only use occasionally. It has Windows 10 and is slowed down by apps which I never use. The Chromebook is much quicker but there is a limit to what you can do on it.

if you buy a chromebook the guy in the store should set it up -they do it here ,
seems chromebook would be a good option for you -its like all the tech things we use
it can make you panic a little if you dont know -but iam sure people on here will tell you how !

but also plenty of info on how to set up on the internet -

I did the big switch from Win 7 to Win 10 a few years ago... I was all worried I was NOT going to understand 10... But it's all pretty much the same... and the free upgrade YOU got, it will do everything for YOU... I have a Chrome Laptop the young Lad gave me when I was getting into Chromecast before getting a Firestick, and it too was pretty easy to set up... Whichever way you decide to go @debodun , I believe there is enough around here to assist you. If you goto the upgrade to Windows 10, there isn't really anything you have to switch with your computer to keep going as YOU are going...

For an emergency, you can access in a library. Of course, the internet and computer is one of my few options for financial and social access, so I would die if I didn't have it always available. I'm also thinking, like you, of getting a smartphone as an alternate internet option and also because I can use it to text since I am deaf.
I use smart phone for four years. Mini computer.

The Chromebook would be about the same as a laptop as far as using it plugged in to electricity, but has the option that if you wanted to take it somewhere besides the desk where you have it plugged in, and then you can use it until the battery runs down.
If you do not want to move it, there is no reason that it can’t sit on your desk and stay plugged in all the time. It is more versatility than you would have with just a desktop.

Back