I hear whispers of tree-felling once more

Ruby Rose

Big Grandpa of an old tree - it's been around.jpg
If I were younger, I would be a tree-hugger...but, as stated before, I can climb but I can't get back down! My son refers to me as an "unarmed tree-hugger," and there is also that age factor. I have written many blurbs on trees over the years...what they feel, etc. What are your views on this topic? How valuable are trees to you and to society?

Tree-hugger here through-and-through.

It pains me to see trees getting cut down, and when we lost a beautiful Colorado Blue Spruce in our yard a number of years ago, I was sick over it. It got a disease, the needles turned red, and the rest is history.

Between this year and next, dear hubby and I plan on planting a number of conifer trees in the front, and many more in the back once we complete a few projects.

Each and every spring I just love gazing at all of the flowering trees, I can't get enough.

How do I feel about trees, hmm. I feel that I would lack oxygen if there were no trees. But I dislike leaves, and tree roots. But I love apples, oranges, and most other fruits that grow on trees. I like birds that sit in trees, but not birds that sit in trees and poop on my head.

So all in all I guess I love trees in other people yards, just not mine. 🤣

Two of my favourite trees for colour... Flowering Cherry (Pink), and anything in the Red, Japanese, or October Glory Maple family!

d3de80caddadfdfe2752c4373bc7bcbc.jpg

81NFq-nxyfL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Tree-hugger here through-and-through.

It pains me to see trees getting cut down, and when we lost a beautiful Colorado Blue Spruce in our yard a number of years ago, I was sick over it. It got a disease, the needles turned red, and the rest is history.

Between this year and next, dear hubby and I plan on planting a number of conifer trees in the front, and many more in the back once we complete a few projects.

Each and every spring I just love gazing at all of the flowering trees, I can't get enough.
Good on you! The first thing I did with my son's help when moving here was plant a variety of trees from birch, crabapple, pine and two wonderful fruit bearing apple trees to name a few...using good alpaca and sheep poo that were in residence at the time.

Trees help keep the planet alive. They are crucial! Not only for removing carbon dioxide and giving us oxygen but as homes for birds, and produce foods we eat. Leaves naturally compost and enrich the soil. They provide blessed shade in the heat and protect structures from wind damage

One of my greatest fears is for the Amazon rain forests.

Count me as a hugger.

Good on you! The first thing I did with my son's help when moving here was plant a variety of trees from birch, crabapple, pine and two wonderful fruit bearing apple trees to name a few...using good alpaca and sheep poo that were in residence at the time.
I get so distraught when I hear of people buying up land (acreage) and cutting down the trees.

My opinion is, then why move out own town.

Back of landlord owned house next door were trees sky high lining the parking lot--don't know the kind. Each year I would trim off little sprouts of branches from their low trunks to prevent these baby branches growing out over the back of my driveway. From one large tree a long large branch had grown from its lower trunk out over it. I cut it in half, stopped its growth. (The landlord at the time did not take care of such things.) More years passed, trees looked pretty bad, told new landlords strong wind might blow them over onto nearby buildings) All trees were cut down. Parking space now looks barren. sob

I like trees. We live on 40 acres of dense forest....oak, walnut, hickory, cedar, etc.....hundreds, perhaps thousands of trees. I keep about an acre mowed around the house, and nature takes care of the rest. Every year, I go through the forest, and harvest the dead trees, and salvage the wood for our outdoor wood furnace....which cuts our Winter heating bills in half, and helps keep me physically fit.

Back of landlord owned house next door were trees sky high lining the parking lot--don't know the kind. Each year I would trim off little sprouts of branches from their low trunks to prevent these baby branches growing out over the back of my driveway. From one large tree a long large branch had grown from its lower trunk out over it. I cut it in half, stopped its growth. (The landlord at the time did not take care of such things.) More years passed, trees looked pretty bad, told new landlords strong wind might blow them over onto nearby buildings) All trees were cut down. Parking space now looks barren. sob
This is part of one of the letters that I penned and sent out on behalf of the trees. Everyone is a secret tree-hugger, for everyone is diminished when the trees disappear one by one until they're all gone. The last children to have trees will lament their passing, and the generation after that will grow up with a void.

I like trees. We live on 40 acres of dense forest....oak, walnut, hickory, cedar, etc.....hundreds, perhaps thousands of trees. I keep about an acre mowed around the house, and nature takes care of the rest. Every year, I go through the forest, and harvest the dead trees, and salvage the wood for our outdoor wood furnace....which cuts our Winter heating bills in half, and helps keep me physically fit.
We reside on 20 acres and there are a long row of old poplars bordering the South and a like row of old willows to the North of the property. I sleep well at night with the murmuring sounds of the wind not to mention the glorious sound of the resident birds. The smells emitted by your dense forest must be intoxicating.

I love trees and I also love sunshine. That means the placement of the trees in relation to my home is important. I would love to own enough acreage to have many fruit trees and many berries and a place for growing vegetables. And then the body I had 40 years ago so I could take care of it all. :LOL:

I adore trees and do hug them even if it looks a little strange.
I grew up with ten majestic maple trees in our farm yard. They were always great to hide behind when playing hide and seek with my siblings. We also tapped them in early Spring. My tree, ha ha, we each claimed a tree, even had an old wooden swing on it just for me. Do kids even play hide and seek these days?

One day, years ago, while sitting with my stepfather at his kitchen table, the kitchen door open to the outside windy day, I could hear the loud rustling of wind blown leaves in a tall tree nearby outside. I just loved the sound, so alive, so uplifting. I mentioned this to my stepfather, he hadn't noticed it until I mentioned it, but seemed pleased.

Adore trees, especial;y Ponderosa Pine! But i understand the value of cutting down every other tree when they touch. Each tree has to have room to grow and breathe. Basic conservation.
We humans are all interconnected to every living thing; not only the trees but plants, streams, ROCKS, EVERYTHING! The whole Earth and everything on it is ALIVE!
Trees might well be the best of the best!

It appears that my wife and I have become "tree collectors" without intending to do so. We now have:

Longleaf Pines, Loblolly Pines, and Black Pines.
Live Oaks, Water Oaks, Red Oaks.
Seven Japanese Maples of four different types.
Red Bud Trees, Tea Olive Trees, Dogwoods. a Cherry Blossom Tree
Several Pig Nut Hickories, wild Persimmon and Sassafras Trees

LOL We didn't really set out to do this, but we must be "tree huggers."

Adore trees, especial;y Ponderosa Pine! But i understand the value of cutting down every other tree when they touch. Each tree has to have room to grow and breathe. Basic conservation.
We humans are all interconnected to every living thing; not only the trees but plants, streams, ROCKS, EVERYTHING! The whole Earth and everything on it is ALIVE!
Trees might well be the best of the best!
My son would agree with you. He reads a philosopher called Leibniz, who said that everything has a soul, even supposedly "dead" things like rocks, atoms, or the mercury in your thermometer. As you so aptly said, the whole Earth and everything on it is alive!

I was born without a left hip socket and put in a body cast at age one. My father who was recovering from the war would put me on his shoulders and walk through the woods with me. That assured I would grow up loving nature and trees.

Before my great-grandson got too old to be my best buddy, he and I and my dog Homie, spent a lot of time walking along in river and a favorite area was forested. Those were happy times.

I was born without a left hip socket and put in a body cast at age one. My father who was recovering from the war would put me on his shoulders and walk through the woods with me. That assured I would grow up loving nature and trees.

Before my great-grandson got too old to be my best buddy, he and I and my dog Homie, spent a lot of time walking along in river and a favorite area was forested. Those were happy times.
Lucky you...you have heard the 'tongues in trees'...they have a story to tell...you see, the Auld Lang Syne of trees...you have but to listen to the tongues in trees. There is magic in their tale with their family tree to share...witnessing human life from the beginning...they say...watching processions of empires along the way. Yes, Vida May, I love trees and feel for them

I never met a tree I didn't love to climb as a kid. Could get down on my own, fell out of a couple and was pulled out by my dad a few times, but I loved climbing trees and sitting on the high branches looking at the world below.
I used to love climbing the trees to check out the tree houses my brothers would build...they let me climb up then disappeared leaving me scream for my Dad to come and help me down. They were stinkers!

Whispers of tree-felling? Is it possible that it is just the distant talk of ramping up logging in our National Forests?

https://www.wilderness.org/articles...our-biggest-national-forest-could-be-disaster
I was up in Alaska in Spring 2018 for a couple of weeks. Alas, I was not aware of the oncoming tragedy of the Alaskan deforestation plans. I remember finding the trees absolutely marvelous, never dreaming what lay ahead for many of them.

Back