I just got deactivated in NextDoor

Twenty states in the US have voted to give AT&T the right to disconnect all land line service ... Texas is one of them.
Reading around the net that they will be obsolete by 2025 everywhere.

The land line # in my apt. has been the same for 68! years. Since it only costs $18. a month I keep it, in the vain hope someone/anyone from my past wants to contact me.
I don't know your financial situation so I'm not going try to persuade you to change just going to reiterate why we changed.

The difference between your phone bill now and having a phone that can go anywhere is $17.00 a month. As I explained texts like our pharmacy uses to notify us is more convenient than the call answering machine we used to use with the land line. Call blocking feature has virtually eliminated spam calls. Once a phone number is blocked calls from that number don't happen. Moving on to calling anywhere in the world, no additional cost. Voice mail another nice feature, like if I'm
out & driving I don't have to answer, when I stop I can play back the message. Emergencies can happen anywhere having a portable phone [cell phone] at hand gives peace of mind. Last is T-mobile arranged to have our land line converted to our cell phone line. Since the cost of $35.00 a month for peace of mind was off set by not paying for a landline we have another cell phone that only our sons have the number for. Two cell phones for use with all the same features works for us.

We keep our landline because that number was given out to so many places, especially medical. We nearly got rid of it but for $13 it’s better safe than sorry. In a way it saved a lot of aggravation a year ago when scammers used my husband’s cell number as the fake one they called from. That went on for days. He had to change numbers.

When I tried to change my address, it asked for a verification code. That can only be sent by cell phone text or to a physical address (they don't accept post office boxes as a legit address) and I only get mail at the post office.
I don't know what you do www stuff on, but whenever they insist on sending me a verification code it goes to my email.
Maybe that would be an option for you.

There are places that for whatever reason the P.O. doesn't deliver too.
You need a PO box but in the above case,they don't charge for it.
I know this to be true because I lived in one such place and frankly thought it was a PITA!

I finally got my NextDoor account back. I had to send them an email with an attachment of proof of residence like a utility bill. Of course, I blocked part of the number.

Now I'm seeing message notification alerts on Facebook, but when I open Messenger, there are no new messages. Also, I'm receiving friend requests from people I am already friends with.

I finally got my NextDoor account back. I had to send them an email with an attachment of proof of residence like a utility bill. Of course, I blocked part of the number.

Now I'm seeing message notification alerts on Facebook, but when I open Messenger, there are no new messages. Also, I'm receiving friend requests from people I am already friends with.

When I tried to change my address, it asked for a verification code. That can only be sent by cell phone text or to a physical address (they don't accept post office boxes as a legit address) and I only get mail at the post office.
Well, that sucks. :( What a pain. I hope you can find a work-around.

That same thing happened when I tried to change the address of
someone I’d had a falling out with. They asked for verification!
The nerve some people have! It’s appalling, to me, at times! 😡
I was going to sign my husband up for that because he's the social one in our family; I often refer to him as our ambassador to the neighborhood. But he surprised me by declining, saying he's as connected with the neighborhood as he wants to be at the moment.

I suppose he does get a lot of interaction, walking the monster (I mean dog) several times daily and interacting with the neighbors doing the same.

I was going to sign my husband up for that because he's the social one in our family; I often refer to him as our ambassador to the neighborhood. But he surprised me by declining, saying he's as connected with the neighborhood as he wants to be at the moment.

I suppose he does get a lot of interaction, walking the monster (I mean dog) several times daily and interacting with the neighbors doing the same.
Tell him I said to keep off of my lawn and to also bring a bag with him the next time he’s walking the monster! Better make it a big bag too. The monster leaves some monstrous “presents”.

Tell him I said to keep off of my lawn and to also bring a bag with him the next time he’s walking the monster! Better make it a big bag too. The monster leaves some monstrous “presents”.
Perish the freaking thought! My husband, none of us, actually, would be caught dead without a doggy bag (and a few spares)! Don't even get me started on that subject; it makes me so angry. So angry.

Deb, I'd get a cell phone. As a single woman, you should have one. My service stops soon as I cancelled it (because my crappy little flip phone was becoming obsolete) and I'm going to go with Consumer Cellular. I rarely used my phone but for about 26 dollars a month, it's good peace of mind and came in handy a few times.
I would have to agree. Whole system is switching to cell phones. Our "landline" here, which does not receive texts, is not through the old electrical phone line. It is actually a form of a cell phone.

I am pretty sure that I signed up for Next Door at one point. That is that website for local towns, right? If I recall, I did have a lot of problems with it.

Back