I just have to stop reading recipes!

GeorgiaXplant

I see them here or on my online homepage (MSN) and get sooo hungry. I forward them to my email, then move them to my recipe file, and there they languish. It's the modern-day version of cutting out recipes from magazines or newpapers, filing them in the recipe box (remember those?) and forgetting about them.

Today I read Brit recipes. Are you paying attention @hollydolly? Toad in the Hole, cottage pie, sausage roll, sticky toffee pudding, Welsh rarebit, bubble and squeak.

We have cottage pie every couple of months and like it a lot, but we don't mix the veggies in with the ground beef. They're layered on top of the beef mixture, then covered with mashed potatoes and shredded cheese. I don't think I've had Welsh rarebit (Welsh rabbit!) since I've lived here but DH and I liked it and ate it often. Another one, no recipe needed, is beans on toast.

And they had to go an mention Marmite, dammit. Gimme!

I'll have some of each and trifle for dessert.

It's a good thing DD decided to cook tonight, a pepperoni/rotini/marinara sauce casserole. Yum. When we were shopping this morning, she bought the ingredients for red beans and rice with Kielbasa.

Unfortunately, it's still an hour and a half until suppertime :(

Well I had toad-in-the-hole- for dinner tonight @GeorgiaXplant with Broccoli in cheese sauce on the side...

Marmite *ugh*.. the other half loves that but not me, this whole country is split...either Hate it or Love it, no in between... and I've always hated trifle.. can't stand wet sponge cake....but cottage pie or shepherds pie, I make myself in fact I batch cook it and freeze... and absolutely Guides honour I had Welsh Rarebit for brunch this morning ( I don't eat breakfast) ..and of course Baked Beans in Tomato sauce ( which I believe our baked beans are very different to American Baked beans)... on toast is a tea-time or supper staple, and full of protein and carbs enough to fill you up if you have it on toast, with any kind of sprinkled grated cheese melted on top .I highly doubt there are many Brits and that includes those who aren't british born of which thereare millions, who do not have cans of Baked beans in their cupboards...cheap, nutritious and filling... and many people have them as a side dish.. especially with a traditional English fried breakfast..

beans-on-toast.jpg

That picture looks like just what I need right now. Our baked beans are different? Doesn't look like it to me. We always used to have them in the pantry, don't know what happened to buying them. I'm putting them on my list.

OMG! I'm so hungry I could chew the butt out of a rag doll. Groan. And still at least another 30 minutes until suppertime.

I have so many clipped recipes. I go through them usually in January, pull out a few to try and throw out some. I think they give birth in my recipe box because the following year there is double the amount. I can't believe the dates on some of my clippings
Besides the clipped ones I have a cabinet full of cookbooks. When I purged our house that is one thing I couldn't give up. They are like old friends.
Many of these older recipes call for ingredients I can no longer find.
I noticed out tastes have changed through the years, When we first got married and the kids were small a nice gooey homemade layer cake didn't last long.
Now in our old age we all seem to prefer coffee cakes and less sweet desserts.

Baked Beans in Tomato sauce ( which I believe our baked beans are very different to American Baked beans)...
They do have a different flavour in the US. Our Canadian baked beans are basically the same as yours.

For my British friend, baked beans on toast is his favourite meal.

They do have a different flavour in the US. Our Canadian baked beans are basically the same as yours.

For my British friend, baked beans on toast is his favourite meal.
yep and the beauty of it , it's something that people can have and do have for any meal of the day.... if you can put up with the Gas... :LOL:

I'm not a huge Baked bean fan tbh..I had them last night or the night before, along with some cold cuts and mash... but I only ever have a couple of spoonfuls...

occasionally tho' I will have them on toast and then I'll add grated cheese... many people add Worcester sauce...

I have so many clipped recipes. I go through them usually in January, pull out a few to try and throw out some. I think they give birth in my recipe box because the following year there is double the amount. I can't believe the dates on some of my clippings
Besides the clipped ones I have a cabinet full of cookbooks. When I purged our house that is one thing I couldn't give up. They are like old friends.
Many of these older recipes call for ingredients I can no longer find.
I noticed out tastes have changed through the years, When we first got married and the kids were small a nice gooey homemade layer cake didn't last long.
Now in our old age we all seem to prefer coffee cakes and less sweet desserts.
I do this with the recipes that show up on Facebook!
Disclaimer: I don't enjoy cooking,never did,my late hubby enjoyed and was much better at it.
My daughter laughs and asks if I'm running for the next Martha Stewart wannabe😊

Back