I may be needing a new stove soon

My GE XL44 stove is modified to use LP gas. Lately I've been having trouble with the oven igniter not turning on. I set the temp and it looks like it's working, then suddenly shuts off. Instrad of paying to repair a stove that is probably close to 30 years old, what would be the best place to buy a new one - big box store, appliance store, local utility? Any recommendations as to brand? I don't need many bells and whistles - I've been getting along on 2 top burners and a small oven for years.

I usually go to the Home Depot or Lowe's website and search for the appliance. You can filter it by price, rating, color, bells and whistles, etc. Even if I don't buy from that store, I can get a good idea of what's available.

I sent an email to a local appliance repair business explaining the problem. Here is the reply. I waned to know if these fees and procedures sound reasonable:

We are sorry to hear about your recent issues with your igniter. It is common to believe that if the gas burners are still working, there is no gas supply issue. However, the oven and the burners have different gas supply lines that branch off from the inlet valve. While the issue you are experiencing is often an igniter, it is also commonly a cracked orifice or other gas supply issue. We have an $89 diagnostic fee for a technician to come to your home, diagnose the issue with your unit, and recommend a repair at a certain price. If you choose to move forward with repair, you do not have to pay the $89 diagnostic fee, just the quoted repair price.
That being said, we do have one OEM GE Igniter for your oven in our warehouse. If the igniter is your issue, we would be able to do the job for $250 + Tax. This quote only applies to oven igniter replacement. If the cause of your issue is something else, the technician will diagnose and put a quote together for repair.

I got a new stove several years ago. It's ok, but not as good as my old one, it has ceramic burners and takes forever to boil a pot of water. My old one was 30 years old too and was leaking gas somewhere, so I replaced it. I got the new stove from the local appliance dealer because they cheerfully service what they sell.

My GE XL44 stove is modified to use LP gas. Lately I've been having trouble with the oven igniter not turning on. I set the temp and it looks like it's working, then suddenly shuts off. Instrad of paying to repair a stove that is probably close to 30 years old, what would be the best place to buy a new one - big box store, appliance store, local utility? Any recommendations as to brand? I don't need many bells and whistles - I've been getting along on 2 top burners and a small oven for years.
I agree with one of the other post Lowes. You may get a few bells and whistles and not spend an arm and leg. You deserve a few bells and whistles after hanging on to your stove for 30 years. All the best in your search.... keep us posted.

I am almost ashamed to post a photo of it. Two top burners still work! I never liked the design of the top - the place where the oven temp is set sticks out so a big pot doesn't sit centered on the back burners.

stove.jpg

Deb. Live a little. Splurge! Buy yourself a late Christmas gift for yourself and get a brand spanking NEW oven/stove. You deserve it.

We are renovating our entire kitchen and I plan on getting a brand spanking NEW oven/stove.

With how much money you are going to need to fix your old one, you are better off getting new. It’s clean, it’s functional and you’ll love it.
You deserve quality items.

Paying more than a few dollars to fix a 30 yr. old appliance is like pouring that money down the drain. Spend your money on a new unit...Lowe's and Home Depot usually have some of the best selections and prices. You will most likely have to pay some money for installation, as the old gas lines, etc., may no longer be up to code. One of the biggest reasons for house fires is old/malfunctioning gas appliances.

vintage slattery gas oven-stove

Left top is oven; bottom is broiler. Matches must be used. Lower right is cabinet for keeping pots, pans.

I printed a stock photo of my stove, that one is not actually mine, but it is the same except that the handle for the pots/pan section on mine is a round knob, and I do have a chip in the surface of the work space about the size of a quarter. Otherwise, it's the same as mine.

When we moved into this apartment in 1953, this was our stove. In the seventies, my parents replaced it with a larger gas stove in that popular at the time yucky color of avacado green. After a few years, the new stove caught fire during Thanksgiving! We had the superintendent come up to help us, thereby ruining his holiday, too and he removed the stove and replaced it with the one we had originally. Seems he kept it in his workroom. See, we did make a weak attempt to update!

I'm glad Not to have an electric stove. Hurricane damage a few years ago knocked out electricity for almost a week. I was still able to eat cooked meals (had to finish everything in fridge and freezer) and have hot coffee whenever I wanted.

I just had an appliance repairman here to look at it. He said it wasn't the gas supply or a bad igniter, so it was probably something faulty in the electronic control panel which he was not confident enough to repair. He said to replace that would be labor intensive and expensive and not worth it for a stove as old as mine if one could even be found. $25 diagnostic fee.

Last edited:
There are a couple of good web sites that sell appliance parts.......AppliancePartsPros.com, and RepairClinic.com. Enter your make and model on those sites, and see if they have parts. If not, you might as well start looking for a new unit.

Deb,

Did you ask the repairman if he had a refurbished stove that he would sell and install?

The repairman might also be a good candidate to pick up a new unit at the local home center and install it for a fee.

It might be better than going it alone.

Good luck!

Did you ask the repairman if he had a refurbished stove that he would sell and install?
I think if he had one, he would have mentioned it. He doesn't work out of a store - he's an independent contractor.

I looked at Repair Clinic and they don't have a circuit board. Also, whatever part I needed would have to be ordered online, which I can't do.

circuit board.jpg

Last edited:

Back