I may be needing a new stove soon

@debodun - Have you made a decision about the stove? If it's 30 years old, you're better off getting a new one. IMO, anyway, it's your choice.

My 2005 electric Whirlpool range has two small burners that work and the two big ones do not work. It's been like that for two years now. I like the stove and think it should have many more years. And I looked at the new ones at Lowe's. Very few are sold with burners, most have the flat top, I don't like them. The one like my stove is selling ''on sale'' for $430, add to that the cables $26+, taxes at 8%, delivery is free but don't know about installation. I figure it will come to at least $500. So, I finally bit the bullet and am having a repairman come look at it Monday. They charge $70 for the diagnostic, but it will be credited to the repair fee if I have it done, or I will lose the $70 if not. It's a gamble. I will update next week.

@debodun - Have you made a decision about the stove? If it's 30 years old, you're better off getting a new one. IMO, anyway, it's your choice.

My 2005 electric Whirlpool range has two small burners that work and the two big ones do not work. It's been like that for two years now. I like the stove and think it should have many more years. And I looked at the new ones at Lowe's. Very few are sold with burners, most have the flat top, I don't like them. The one like my stove is selling ''on sale'' for $430, add to that the cables $26+, taxes at 8%, delivery is free but don't know about installation. I figure it will come to at least $500. So, I finally bit the bullet and am having a repairman come look at it Monday. They charge $70 for the diagnostic, but it will be credited to the repair fee if I have it done, or I will lose the $70 if not. It's a gamble. I will update next week.

I am like you, I don't like to change something with which I am used to working and the new design elements can be confusing. If I get a new stove, there's a learing curve (more difficult now that years ago). The repair tech I had in to look at it suggested that I press the control buttons more firmly since they do get worn over time and don't make as good electronic contact. Has worked since, but no guarantees.

I sent an email to a local appliance repair business explaining the problem. Here is the reply. I waned to know if these fees and procedures sound reasonable:
Are you at all 'handy'? I just replaced two igniters on my old stove (not as old as yours). It's quite simple to do. If you're considering it at all, check Youtube.

I am like you, I don't like to change something with which I am used to working and the new design elements can be confusing. If I get a new stove, there's a learing curve (more difficult now that years ago). The repair tech I had in to look at it suggested that I press the control buttons more firmly since they do get worn over time and don't make as good electronic contact. Has worked since, but no guarantees.
Deb, if you don't like the glass tops and rather have the ones with burners like mine, you better buy the stove now. The majority selling now have the glass tops, the ones with the burners may not be available in a couple of years. My stove is only 15 so I figure it's best to fix, yours is already 30, time for a new one (or a younger one if you don't want to buy new). I'm jealous you were able to get yours checked for only $25, I have to pay $70 on Monday. Hope it will be worth it.

Not at all. I almost have to call an electrical contractor to change a light bulb (hyperbole). I do not have much knowledge, the tools, or manual dexterity to do much in the way of maintenance.
There's a few things around the house I might do, but I refuse to do anything electrical. There are videos on YouTube how to replace the elements for my burners and I watched them, but I don't dare fool around with electricity and do something wrong and start a fire after I turn on the new burners. I'd rather pay a tech. My favorite saying is, "Being smart is knowing what you're dumb at". Amen!

UPDATE: See my post #26

Well, my repairman came this morning. I thought he was going to have to replace the whole shebang under my electric stove's hood. Instead he only replaced the terminals for the two non-working 8" burners. He was here 60 minutes and the total bill was for $157. I thought it was kind of high, but at least I won't have to spend $500 or so for a new stove. Hopefully it works for a few more years. He did say that at 15 years old that's when they start dying. We'll see.

Back