I wonder how many get back what they pay to Social Security.

I was looking over the Social Security website this morning.

My employers and I have paid in $132,137 over my 49 years of working.

I've been drawing Social Security for nearly 14 years and so far have draw over $302,000.

I've known many who paid in but didn't live to draw much or none at all.
And I think that's one of the things the SSA counts on to keep it solvent. I'm sure a lot more people pass if they wait until age 67 or 70 to collect than if they start at 62. My (half) sister was one of them. She wanted to wait until age 65 (which I think was the FRA then). She died at age 63 and I never got the chance to meet her.

So few delay to 70 it is really a moot point..the fra points and 62 are the biggies..it increased just a bit more recently towards the later years the last decade but nothing to speak of

i-NBJRkqC-S.jpg

Last edited:
Never considered this. I'm certainly not waiting until full benefit to draw. I'll take the lower amount. At exactly what age, I haven't decided.

I'm not eligible age yet but have some of you created a social security account through the official website? I guess that would be a good way to get more detailed information. Thanks for any replies to this question.

I'm not eligible age yet but have some of you created a social security account through the official website? I guess that would be a good way to get more detailed information. Thanks for any replies to this question.
Yes, I did and it worked pretty well. My wife did hers locally and that also went pretty well. She still wound up creating an online account.
When you do set it up, it is wise to have the deposits made to an account that you intend to hold on to for a long time. Changing bank accounts was a bit tedious for my wife.

Back