Icelandic Vikings | We Will Rock You

....then there is the "Vicki the Viking" Costume!:rolleyes:

iu
Hahaha, Vicki the Viking! Cool for a wrestling persona.

That looks like Borat in the background.

Wow @Meanderer you did a lot of work to post all this. I really loved all of the stories about them. Thank you so much for bringing this!

I almost began reading the next group about female Russians also one of my favorites. I have saved the site for later reading.

Thanks again for taking the time to research and post!
You're welcome. I found it interesting as well!

We're bending the rules a little with this post...hope you enjoy it!

WOYM: Roanoke's Vikings band had its heyday in 1960s, '70s
5d1fbd6029901.image.jpg

The Vikings pose for a photo while taking a break from a rehearsal in May 1982. Seated (from left) are Allen Nelms and Ann Francis. Standing are Joy McKeever, Leroy Smith, Tommy Holcomb, Ralph Nash, Fred Frelantz, Lane Craig and Tyler Pugh. Nelms, Holcomb and Craig were the original members of the band when it formed in the early 1960s in Roanoke. The Roanoke Times | File 1982

WDBJ7 PM Magazine featuring the Vikings band--Early June 1982

Early Iceland wasn’t as lawless as you might think
borders-1296993_640.png

“With law shall the country be built” is the Icelandic police force’s motto to this day. It dates back about a millennium. In Viking Age Iceland, the law was taken seriously. Many of the settlers were leaving Norway because of a tyrannical king, and within a few short decades, separate settlement villages were sprouting up.
By around 930, Alþingi, a national assembly had started. At Þingvellir (which means “assembly plains”) about 30 miles from where Reykjavik now stands, the first Icelanders made an annual pilgrimage to this assembly.
Acutely aware of the cost of violence and lawlessness (possibly because they engaged in it previously!), these settlers would listen to a “law speaker” reciting the rules on a “law rock”. Sometime later, around the 12th Century, they started writing these laws down, which is how civilizations are born.

Vikings in Iceland, Icelandic Sagas
viking-iceland.jpg

"Norse immigrants from western Norway discovered and settled Iceland in the late ninth century. Servants and slaves accompanied these families; many of the indentured were Celts from Scotland and Ireland. Much of the history of Norse settlement in Iceland is derived from two Icelandic sagas."

"The Book of Icelanders, written by Ari Thorhilsson the Wise in the 10th century, tells of Iceland’s history for the first 250 years after its settlement. The Book of Settlement tells of the founding of Iceland and where they settled."

"The Book of Icelanders describes much of the subsequent development of Iceland. Additional settlers arrived in an exodus from Scandinavia, encouraged by the Norse custom of a father’s passing all lands only to his firstborn son."

"Most Icelandic sagas were written in the 12th to 14th centuries but discuss events in the period between 930 and 1030, a period referred to as the Age of Sagas."

"The word saga literally means “what is said,” which is derived from the Norse people’s oral tradition of storytelling." (Read More)

Back