If Russia Attacks Ukraine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why wait to give them arms?
Last time Russia invaded the Ukraine, we didn't provide and arms. Why would we now?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ukraine-leader-calls-for-more-western-military-aid-1411055160

President Barack Obama stuck to his refusal to provide weapons or other lethal military gear to Ukraine, despite a passionate appeal Thursday for help in fighting pro-Russia rebels by Ukraine's president.

The White House announced a new $53 million aid package for Ukraine, which includes counter-mortar radar, radios, vehicles, patrol boats, body armor, helmets and night-vision goggles. But it stopped short of providing weapons or other lethal aid the Ukrainians have been seeking.

In his speech to Congress, Mr. Poroshenko specifically asked Washington for lethal aid. "Blankets and night-vision goggles are important," he said. "But one cannot win a war with blankets."

International recognition that the Crimea is his?

Russia has a very long history of being invaded, think of the Mongols, Napoleon, and Hitler. The need to protect their borders by this kind of thing is deep seeded. I don't think it makes sense in today's world but I suspect this is much of what's behind it.

Agree completely on Iraq, no reason for that and it was a disaster. Afghanistan ended in disaster as well, but we did have a valid reason for the initial invasion. Had we left once Al Qaeda and Bin Laden were out things might look different now. Neither the Taliban nor anyone else in Afghanistan had much of anything to do with the 9-11 attacks...
I agree with you on Russia's motives. It appears to be similar to Putin's attempts to regain a buffer zone between Russia and NATO. Ukraine is only the most intense right now. Look at the unrest all along the border with Russia.

As to Afghanistan, if you recall, the military did not want to go into that graveyard of empires. What ensued was a hot potato competition between the military and CIA. CIA initially got the assignment and attempted to build an alliance with the Northern Alliance to go into Tora Bora to track down Bin Laden. Unfortunately, the Talaban killed a senior leader in the Northern Alliance and the whole thing fell apart. I suspect that a strong contributing factor was the onset of winter and the Afghanis knew better than to venture into the mountains, especially without their leader. It went down hill from there.
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CPRT-111SPRT53709/html/CPRT-111SPRT53709.htm
See also, JAWBREAKER by Gary Berntsen, a first hand report by the CIA guy who led the search for Bin Laden in Tora Bora.

So soon we forget and our media sure is not going to remind us of the time the USSR put those missiles on Cuban soil. Kennedy was the president and the event is remembered in history as "The Cuban Missile Crisis." The date was October, 1962; well remembered by folks my age. I was "sweet" sixteen; if you can believe it!

The Americans put missiles in Italy and Turkey so the Russians put them in Cuba. "What is good for the goose is good for the gander" they say! To make a long story short, the US did not like the missiles close to their country. You might say that Putin doesn't like the Nato close to his border. Oh those silly boys, Putin and Biden!

So soon we forget and our media sure is not going to remind us of the time the USSR put those missiles on Cuban soil. Kennedy was the president and the event is remembered in history as "The Cuban Missile Crisis." The date was October, 1962; well remembered by folks my age. I was "sweet" sixteen; if you can believe it!

For Sure! I was stationed in Germany in1962, with the USAF. Most people don't realize just how close we came to Armageddon during that crisis. We came within minutes of "launch". I sometimes think that the majority of our nations leaders flunked History while in school.

I sure do remember Cuban Missile Crisis !!! Was a communications technician USN, stationed in Maine, after Kennedy made his speech, about 30 mins, several of us had orders to fly to Key West Fla to keep our ears open for whatever was going on in Cuba....it was a good way to spend the winter!!!!!
And I was on my way to OCS. I had driven out from California on a southern route. On my way up the East Coast to Newport I saw several army trucks headed south.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back