If you are a female, don't park next to a white van. (?)

According to a Facebook rumor, and we know how truthful those are, if you are a female don't park next to a white van. Apparently, you will be kidnapped and sold into sex slavery. Some people are terrified of this. Of course, there is absolutely no real evidence about a "white van", stealing people off the street. For me, it just goes to show how truth on the internet is an endangered species. What do you think when you read stuff like the "white van" stories?
https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/04/tech/facebook-white-vans/index.html

While it is disheartening that so many are gullible, fearful and stupid (there's one born every minute), it does explain the idiocy that abounds in society.

People should avoid white vans for the same reason that they can't leave their house without a gun. They also should always wear a beanie with a lightning rod attached, because - - - (1) You can be abducted (2) You can be assaulted, and (3) You can be struck by lightning.

In a country of 300+ million people, the chances of any one of these is about the same as the other.

If you're a real "nervous nellie" you worry about all three.

While I'm not worried about being abducted for slavery and no one wants MY body parts, younger people could be in danger. I doubt that the color of the vans have anything to do with it.
I've always been aware of things going on around me while in public, since there were two abduction attempts on me when I was 10 and again at 12 {different location}. I survived and got away. Yes, it is a real thing.

Well, it's common sense that it's much easier to grab someone and pull them inside a van than into a sedan. I doubt that the color of the van matters, though. I had a white van for 21 years and I never abducted anyone. I simply like white vehicles because they stay cooler in HOT Tucson than darker colors. I now have a white hatchback.

While the White Van story may not be true, women and children are being abducted by people in vans. There was a news story several years ago about women who shopped at this upscale mall in a ritzy area (of Florida I think) who were being abducted. And sex trafficking in this country is real. I'm sure there are other means of getting the victims besides van kidnappings but still..... Harm reduction courses have warned about walking too close to the curb and being aware of vans that seem to be driving by too slowly or circling the block. That being said, people should be aware of their surroundings at all times. I caution the young people about walking around with headphones, music blasting or faces stuck in their phones and not paying attention to what's happening around them.

I didn't finish reading that article after it they said there was no evidence to support the claims yet I probably will be on the lookout for white vans now just because I'm on the paranoid side anyhow...:unsure::oops:

The viral social media message about persons on board a van allegedly kidnapping minors and taking out their organs to sell is a hoax, A police LT City Police Office public information officer, said yesterday.

He said this is again sabotage since the police have not received any reports or complaints from the kin of the supposed victims.

He said the internet has its advantages as it is a tool to easily inform the public, but it is being abused by those spreading false information just to create panic and fear.

The police are urging netizens to be responsible about sharing posts and to verify first with authorities before spreading such false information

Yes, this bit of nonsense has "hoax" written all over it. If such a thing was even remotely possible, it would be screaming at you from headlines in every newspaper, and be a top news story. You wouldn't be reading about in on a social media web site, and nowhere else!

Folks, remember good old snopes.com . You can check out any story to verify or reject its truthfulness. Here's what snopes has to say about this one - all right, it was NC a few years ago, and apparently the nonexistent white van has moved to Florida. šŸ˜

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/hickory-walmart-trafficking/

This post is in my Nextdoor website, I thought I would like to share. These are people who are sensible and know when nosy neighbors are something to be appreciated.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My grandson
I just want to give a huge Thank You to the person who called 911 and reported two (2) little boys on electric motorcycles being followed by a man in a white transit van, in Camino Verde Estates during Thanksgiving. My husband, his Grampa was the man following him, as he has lots to learn. But, we didn't mind the questioning by the Sheriff, we were instead grateful that someone took a chance and called! Listen to your instincts even if it was just Grampa! Regardless, we all (my husband, son, daughter-in-law and I) are so very grateful to know their are people who are looking out for our kids besides us. I am truly very very grateful

Back