If you didn't have to work for a living when you were younger, what would you have done?

caramel

Some people's work gave them purpose. Some people's work gave them a paycheck. Some were lucky enough to have both.

If your work wasn't the reason you wanted to get up every morning, what would you have done if you didn't need the paycheck?

Without knowing how young younger is & why I was financially able to live without needing an income from employment, is a tough one to answer. Where I was born would make a difference.

A few parameters would be nice to work from.

What I can say is the variety of jobs held over the years made life interesting. I don't think doing nothing but looking for ways to enjoy life as the years passed would be as good as I've had it.

Without knowing how young younger is & why I was financially able to live without needing an income from employment, is a tough one to answer. Where I was born would make a difference.

A few parameters would be nice to work from.
I can make some up if you'd like. Then you can say why it makes a difference.

Younger is as young as you would like. You didn't have to work a day in your life because your parents or a relative were wealthy and made you wealthy through a trust fund that they turned over to you with no strings.

I can make some up if you'd like. Then you can say why it makes a difference.

Younger is as young as you would like. You didn't have to work a day in your life because your parents or a relative were wealthy and made you wealthy through a trust fund that they turned over to you with no strings.
Make some up. Not everyone lives in America so circumstances can be different .

I would've worked anyway
I'm a workaholic
That, I can empathise with Gary. Had circumstances been that I had no need to provide an income I would have concentrated on being the best at dancing, Latin & Ballroom that is. It was a passionate hobby when we were younger and fit, right up to our late sixties in fact. But, all the training and rehearsing required to reach the top echelons would have meant hours and hours of dedication, much like paid employment really.

If I'm honest about it, the only thing I would know for certain would be that situation would have made me a lot more attractive to women l and I would have taken advantage of that.

I might have traveled more, I know I did turn down a very fabulous offer once, but I needed to work that summer for money for school. As it turns out, that was a bad decision.

If you didn't have to work for a living when you were younger, what would you have done?

Probably the exact same as what I eventually did, I haven't the brains to do anything clever. 😊

I would have moved to New York City and taken a stab at a career there. My ex-husband knew I wanted to do that. He didn't give a ****.

I remember when we vacationed and we drove home (we always had to take driving vacations because he likes to drive), I would get soooo depressed coming back to the area in which we lived. Some cities are beautiful. They have really fixed themselves up over the years. Even some smaller towns are quite pretty. But not where we lived, and the place where we used to live has fallen into even a worse state of disrepair, urban blight, and homelessness on every major street there.

Anyway, so when we'd return to where we lived I used to start up the topic of "Why don't we move? You could get a job in a pretty place like the ones we have visited." Or, "You could go get that degree you wanted and we could move to a college town." Or, "If we moved to a nicer area we would not have to send the kids to private school. They could attend the public schools because they are better in these other, pretty places."

Just floating the idea - not yelling, not demanding, no ultimatums, just opening the door to discuss, rationally and reasonably, the topic of how I didn't like where we lived but he was fine with it.

Moving to a new area was not even discussable for so many years. No. No discussion. Nothing but the response from him of basically, "I'm fine, so what is your problem?" None of my hopes or dreams, or even hopes and dreams for our kids, mattered.

I realize the NYC is a very tough place. It's just as tough as any other major U.S. city. People are ***holes there just like they are ***holes everywhere.

But I always think of that line from "Field of Dreams" where Shoeless Joe Jackson, a man unjustly accused of betting against his own team and thrown out of baseball forever, says to Ray Kinsella, of baseball:

"I would have played for food money."

To not be allowed to dream, to explore the possibilities when you are young. To be unjustly accused and unjustly convicted, forever having a negative label hanging over your head. That's what my ex-spouse does to people when he is pissed at them.

He practices the politics of personal destruction.

ANYWAY, so I'll never know if NYC and I could have gotten along. I'll never know if my kids should have gone to New York colleges. I think long-term like that, about the whole arc of their lives, but my ex-spouse only thinks about himself, his priorities, and his immediate happiness.

And once you have adult kids ensconced in one state, it is extremely difficult emotionally to leave them. At least it is for me. Now, I can't imagine having to walk everywhere as you must in NYC. Cabs and Ubers are too expensive and the subways are going through a very tough crime time. Housing there has become only more scarce and worse with the migrant crisis. That ship has sailed. But, that was the dream when I was young.

Some people's work gave them purpose. Some people's work gave them a paycheck. Some were lucky enough to have both.

If your work wasn't the reason you wanted to get up every morning, what would you have done if you didn't need the paycheck?

I would've gotten into a helluva heap o' trouble. 🙃😊

Probably would have spent even more time in nature making memories (Camping, fishing, hiking, and exploring). If money permitted, I probably would have built a cabin by a lake and just enjoyed life and the beautiful scenery.

Invented new products to sell to the Johnson-Smith Novelty Company. Not really a job, since failures would be plentiful. It is pretty hard to create the next plastic dog poo. :poop:

Yeah, more of a starving artist thing.

@caramel
"Younger is as young as you would like. You didn't have to work a day in your life because your parents or a relative were wealthy and made you wealthy through a trust fund that they turned over to you with no strings."

I'll use 18 as the age when I would be able to draw on the trust fund. Probably buy expensive "toys". Party like there is no tomorrow. Once I got thru that phase looking for how to fill my days would be next. What that would entail I can't imagine since I've never had that problem

"You can pick a country for this."
I pick America. More wealth here so it wouldn't be unusual for me to piss away money.

For sure I wouldn't have met the love of my life, able to look at that fact alone makes me glad my life wasn't about living off what others gave me.

Back