If you were given an envelope with the time and date of your death inside, would you open it?

Actually.. I had a dream that informed me I will die at the age of 89. We know dreams are just that. However, I am 60 so I will take that. But the envelope..NO, I would not open it. As some of you stated, I would be so tempted but I would not open it. My mom, 2 uncles died in their 80"s.. I will be in my rocking chair, listening to music..take me home. But until them.. I INTEND TO ENJOY LIFE!!!!!!!!

I'd have to open it. There are too many projects I want to do around the house---repairs and improvements that would take a long time to finish. I'd want to know if it was a waste of time or not. And make sure the house is dusted and vacuumed the day before I go. :)
I would be on a cruise somewhere... the last thing I would think about is housework.. do enough that now. However, we would do what is best for us.

From Shakespeare's Henry IV, Part 2, Act 3, Scene 1:
"O, if this were seen,
The happiest youth, viewing his progress through,
What perils past, what crosses to ensue,
Would shut the book, and sit him down and die."

In other words, it's best not to know some things! :unsure:

Yes, I think I would. I'd like to tidy up a few things. I have a journal that I've kept for years, that if read by the wrong person might be hurtful. Burn, trash or remove a few pages.

No, I don't think I'd want to know.
My father-in-law passed away at work of a heart attack at 56 years old. My husband was convinced that the same fate was in store for him and didn't make plans to live past that age. His mood lifted after his 57th birthday. He now understands that we are all individuals and nothing can predict when "your time" will come.
You just need to live everyday to the fullest.

This puts me in the mind of "Seeking a Friend for the End of the World" with Steve Carrell and Keira Knightly. Also "On the Beach" (the book- not the movie. The book is far better).

Both explore people coping (or not) with an approaching, unavoidable, planet-wide doomsday, the timing of which is known to all.

For myself, I'd destroy the envelope without opening it.

From Shakespeare's Henry IV, Part 2, Act 3, Scene 1:
"O, if this were seen,
The happiest youth, viewing his progress through,
What perils past, what crosses to ensue,
Would shut the book, and sit him down and die."

In other words, it's best not to know some things! :unsure:
From Richard II (Act 5, Scene 5)

"I wasted time, and now doth time waste me."

Reminds me of a poster I created decades ago

View attachment 92094
I LOVE DEATH WILL TREMBLE TO TAKE US... Death will think twice when taking me.. it will say "I will come back for her, we are ready for her but she is not ready for death"... I WILL ENJOY LIFE UNTIL MY LAST BREATH. I already shared with my daughter when I am in the hospital toward the end, put in my ear phones and turn up the volume to my music.

No, I don't think I'd want to know.
My father-in-law passed away at work of a heart attack at 56 years old. My husband was convinced that the same fate was in store for him and didn't make plans to live past that age. His mood lifted after his 57th birthday. He now understands that we are all individuals and nothing can predict when "your time" will come.
You just need to live everyday to the fullest.
AMEN!!!!

At this point in my life I've said goodbye to more people than I care to count. Not a single one left this life while kicking, screaming, resisting, rocking & rolling, or with great fanfare. Most slipped away in some level of pain unless medically sedated.

Human bravado and physical strength diminish to zero when staring the grim reaper in the face.

One of my all time favorite series was Dr. House. In the pilot episode he had this exchange with a young woman who was opting against life-saving treatment, thinking she'd just slip away into death.

Rebecca Adler: I just want to die with a little dignity.
Dr. House: There's no such thing! Our bodies break down, sometimes when we're 90, sometimes before we're even born, but it always happens and there's never any dignity in it. I don't care if you can walk, see, wipe your own ass. It's always ugly - always! We can live with dignity - we can't die with it.

Yes, I would want to know, whether or not to buy that case of peaches and whether I needed to shower and shave in a hurry.

Back