If you were in the market for a dog, what kind would it be?

@peramangkelder , my heartbreaks for Max to have suffered so much while protecting your O/H... :cry:

. This was ours family Dobie.. Zeus, he passed last year... he was also one of the family security dogs .

Zeus-jpg-original.jpg

When I met my now huz he had a large male Dobermann named Max
First time I met Max he sniffed me and looked me up and down and licked my hand
That was the beginning of a beautiful friendship
Max was one of the largest Dobermanns I had ever seen...he weighed in at 80kg or 176pounds
Max's head stood level with my hip and I am a tall person
We have seen him nudge a baby bird back towards the parent bird with much success
Before huz moved he was burgled while at work and the burglars beat Max almost senseless with a baseball bat
Complications arose from this beating and sadly Max died on the Vet's operating table only a few years after I met him
Max was truly a 'Gentle Giant' and we miss him greatly
View attachment 133623
I am so sorry this happened to such a beautiful gentle creature, it's heartbreaking.

@Tish our next door neighbours ..when I say next door they are actually behind us their side fence is our back fence ,anyway they have a kelpie like yours and when we go over for a barbie hubs makes a fuss of Zayhne so when he hears hubs doing something in our shed Zayhne sits on his owners bed and barks and whines for him to come over and pat him ..well play tug a war with a old flat football
Yep, that's Kelpies for you, once they adopt you, you are their family for life.

A rescue dog of course, they do not ask to be born into a life that they are forced to live. We've had dogs over the years purebred and mutts all wonderful companions for our family. When our last dog passed away we decided not to get another dog, a year with no dog put paid to that. We adopted a rescue from Mexico and he has been the most challenging but he is a sweetheart. I thank God for sending him at a time when I most needed a friend. Breeders are charging exorbitant amounts of money for purebreds, at least here in this part of the country while there are dozens of rescues that would thank you for a warm bed and food.

I also would have a rescue dog. I am partial to Beagles since that was my first dog as a child and after we were married we had quite a few breeds but the Labs stood out as the most loving and gentle. I never had to worry about them being around our kids.
As much as I would love to have one we are to old.
I got a taste of what could happen a few years back. My hubby was away at the time and I was home alone. I dislocated my knee, called 911 and went to the hospital . That evening after my brother in law brought me home I had to struggle to the door to let our dog out.
Luckily we had a fenced in yard but it was quite a challenge to feed him and let him out.
It made me stop and think how things can change in a flash and at our age getting a pet of any kind would be risky. I don't think it would be fair to the pet either.

When I met my now huz he had a large male Dobermann named Max
First time I met Max he sniffed me and looked me up and down and licked my hand
That was the beginning of a beautiful friendship
Max was one of the largest Dobermanns I had ever seen...he weighed in at 80kg or 176pounds
Max's head stood level with my hip and I am a tall person
We have seen him nudge a baby bird back towards the parent bird with much success
Before huz moved he was burgled while at work and the burglars beat Max almost senseless with a baseball bat
Complications arose from this beating and sadly Max died on the Vet's operating table only a few years after I met him
Max was truly a 'Gentle Giant' and we miss him greatly
View attachment 133623
Some people don’t deserve air. I’m so sorry for your loss. Dogs are definitely our best friends. Guaranteed.

It depends on what you want. I have never had a bad dog. Right now I have an English Bulldog, very low energy and extremely mellow. I also have a Chihuahua, also a sweetheart but a little more nervous. Smartest dog I ever had was a Pomeranian. All my dogs except the Pomeranian came from the shelter or a rescue.

Back