I'm not getting any more bloodwork done.

Colleen

I've always been very healthy (and still am...as far as I know). I'm 77. I have a little arthritis ache in my back when the weather changes but nothing that a little BenGay and the heating pad or Tylenol won't fix. I'm able to go up and down stairs without any problems. All-in-all, I'm in good shape compared to a lot of people my age. I'm very thankful.

That being said, I've been thinking about "what if" and I've been trying to get a handle on what I need to get done just in case an unexpected situation comes alone. Like it did with my husband in October. So, I'm trying to get my ducks in a row and cover all the bases. I got my will done and the next thing I'm going to do is get pre-arranged funeral expenses paid for. That will be another check mark off the list.

I have a doctor's appointment in May. It's a routine 6-month check-up. When I saw her in November, she gave me the paperwork to get my bloodwork done in April and she also wanted me to have an EKG.....just because. I've been doing a lot of thinking about this "routine" stuff and I've decided I'm not going to get any more bloodwork done and I'm not getting an EKG. My bloodwork has always been good. I have low cholesterol and only take HBP medication. It's been under control for years.

I guess what I'm saying is...let whatever is coming come. I'm prepared for the unexpected and I certainly don't want to spend what time I have left worrying about any kind of treatments or therapy if something would show up in my bloodwork or on an EKG.

I guess what brought on this thinking was the way my husband died. It was unexpected and sudden. He had been diagnosed in Dec, 2022 with a rare heart disorder after having had an echocardiogram. We were never given that diagnosis by our doctor. I was upset after he died that she hadn't told us but it actually was a blessing in disguise because we both would have done nothing but worry. There was no treatment for it and it was fatal. The last 9 months before he died were "normal" months of doing what we always did every day and we enjoyed those days together. It was better for us to not know what was coming.

Would you put yourself through h..l your remaining years or live your life without worrying about it all? For me, I don't want to know about anything.

I've always been very healthy (and still am...as far as I know). I'm 77. I have a little arthritis ache in my back when the weather changes but nothing that a little BenGay and the heating pad or Tylenol won't fix. I'm able to go up and down stairs without any problems. All-in-all, I'm in good shape compared to a lot of people my age. I'm very thankful.

That being said, I've been thinking about "what if" and I've been trying to get a handle on what I need to get done just in case an unexpected situation comes alone. Like it did with my husband in October. So, I'm trying to get my ducks in a row and cover all the bases. I got my will done and the next thing I'm going to do is get pre-arranged funeral expenses paid for. That will be another check mark off the list.

I have a doctor's appointment in May. It's a routine 6-month check-up. When I saw her in November, she gave me the paperwork to get my bloodwork done in April and she also wanted me to have an EKG.....just because. I've been doing a lot of thinking about this "routine" stuff and I've decided I'm not going to get any more bloodwork done and I'm not getting an EKG. My bloodwork has always been good. I have low cholesterol and only take HBP medication. It's been under control for years.

I guess what I'm saying is...let whatever is coming come. I'm prepared for the unexpected and I certainly don't want to spend what time I have left worrying about any kind of treatments or therapy if something would show up in my bloodwork or on an EKG.

I guess what brought on this thinking was the way my husband died. It was unexpected and sudden. He had been diagnosed in Dec, 2022 with a rare heart disorder after having had an echocardiogram. We were never given that diagnosis by our doctor. I was upset after he died that she hadn't told us but it actually was a blessing in disguise because we both would have done nothing but worry. There was no treatment for it and it was fatal. The last 9 months before he died were "normal" months of doing what we always did every day and we enjoyed those days together. It was better for us to not know what was coming.

Would you put yourself through h..l your remaining years or live your life without worrying about it all? For me, I don't want to know about anything.

That’s a tough one. I’m so used to doing whatever is called for as diagnosed by my doctors. I completely understand your decision and agree that when there is nothing to be done, why fuss and spin unneeded wheels?

You also make me realize there are things I should check off.

Jumping in here to say I totally understand and am of the same mind, @Colleen . I have my reasons that may or may not be the same as anyone else's reasons, but I'll never allow myself to be shamed into something I have chosen not to do.

Thank you for using such a descriptive adjective.
You are far from dumb. You are one smart cookie. Trust your own instincts. If you follow all doctors orders, you might never be finished. They make money off every test you take.

Enjoy what time you have left. Take one day at a time and have fun. Buy a colouring book, make your favourite foods, watch your favourite movies, talk to friends and family.

I think you are a very wise women. Try and enjoy the time you have without worrying.

My doctor won't renew my medications, synthroid, zocor, metoprolol, olmesartan, and omeprazol, if I don't go in for blood work every couple of years. None of my problems are really serious. The pills are for sluggish thyroid, slightly high cholesterol, slightly high blood pressure and acid reflux. One year I got fed up with his receptionist saying my lab work wasn't back from the hospital (turns out it was and she wasn't looking) so I gave up, taking no meds at all for a couple of years and nothing happened.

Thanks for all the affirmations (except one!). I know I don't need anyone's approval for anything I do from here on out but I just thought I'd share my feelings. Doctors like to have you come in every 6 months...."just for a check-up" and discuss any concerns you many have. Well, I feel if I have a concern, I'll call them.

My late husband was a firm believer in going in every 6 months, whether it was the doctor or the dentist, to make sure everything was OK. Look where that got him...ha.

Glad to hear you feel so good for your age @Colleen.

I think it's a Medicare thing. Visit billed and collected.

Most doctors won't prescribe a prescription unless they check you out. They can also terminate the doctor-patient relationship. It happened to a neighbor of ours, because he refused to follow through with what the doctor suggested. He terminated him by letter and he had to shop around for a new Doctor.

Why not just suggest to her, you feel fine and will be back for a one year checkup?

I had the same mentality after my husband passed away, @Colleen. He did not like doctors and stayed away from them, and so did I. But then he died suddenly and I was alone. I continued to stay away from doctors after that, but sooner or later, I had to go to one.

I realize now, years later, that I am not my husband. I am my own person, with my own genes, with my own history. I have a responsibility to myself to maintain my body as best I can. I like taking tests, because they show me if I am going on the right path or not and what to do about it. Going blindly forward, as I used to do, is no longer an option.

Good luck with your health! You know best what is right for you!

I think that this is a decision that each person has to decide what works for them. I can totally understand not wanting to hear bad news, and I do not think I would want that either.
However, in my case, it is important to me to have my lab work done so I can see what is going on with my body, and make changes if necessary, and I look forward to getting the labs done each time.

Last edited:
I was in my mid 60s when I learned I was diabetic.
Was under stress trying to operate an. auto inspection garage .
Hubby was driving back & forth to Ohio for his job at a steel mill.

So I got stuck on diabetic medications,, been on them 20 years & went in for regular scheduled check ups.

Recently I was on antibiotics. for a month.
I saw my heart doctor, told him about the heavy feeling I'd had on my chest.
'Told him I thought it was the meds I'd been on.'

I go in April 10 for depth cardio check up.

I'm not happy. about having to do that,,,,But my mother died. young from conjunctive heart failure.

Each to your own on how you care for your health.
Do know the warning signs of diabetes , heart problems.

@Colleen I hear you. I'm fed up with being a Kaiser captive. It was fine until they decided that during the yearly physical patients can't ask any questions unrelated to the physical. Nope. Have to make a separate appointment for each and every question. That means a separate copay. Got three problems? That'll be three appointments @ $25, please.

Nope. I'll see the cardiologist every six months like I'm supposed to. He'll renew meds for HBP and cholesterol.

I'll keep appointment with ophthalmologist in May to schedule cataract surgery. I'll have the surgery because if I live a long time yet, I don't want to be blind.

If there's a problem, like a UTI, I'll go to immediate care. Same copay as doc appointment. No appointment necessary.

Other than that, I just don't give a rat's rear anymore. I'm old for crying out loud. I expect aches and pains and don't need a doc to tell me that I'm old.

I'm going tomorrow morning to get blood work done, then my yearly physical next week. I actually like getting it done, I think it's a good tool as a way of monitoring your health year to year.

Now if the test showed some catastrophic health issue would I address it? I'm not sure, it would depend on the issue and treatment.

I am with Colleen on this one. I would rather not know what is coming. That coupled with my distrust in the medical profession pretty much calls the game for me. I could put 10-20k or more into "preventive maintenance" just to get a few years. I wont leave my wife with a huge medical bill just to be around for a couple years if something major was detected. When its time, its time.

Some test I do refuse. I have lumbar stenosis and two years ago the doctor wanted me to get a new MRI to see how advanced it's become. I said no sense in that, I know it's hurting worse but am not going to have back surgery so its measurable progression matters not.

I'll also refuse medications, I'll spare you those boring details.

@Colleen I hear you. I'm fed up with being a Kaiser captive. It was fine until they decided that during the yearly physical patients can't ask any questions unrelated to the physical. Nope. Have to make a separate appointment for each and every question. That means a separate copay. Got three problems? That'll be three appointments @ $25, please.
That's egregious! Captive is right. What the actual...

I'm OK with bloodwork. They wanted a urinalysis last time I was in, I didn't have to go at the time and never brought the sample back. But I'm with you, we all need to do what feels right. I don't want to be one of their ongoing "products." That's what it feels like.

Just read Georgiagranny's post. Terrible what they do.

Back