I'm tired of having ads shoved down my throat.

I'm getting tired of advertising. It's ads, ads, ads, ads. You watch a movie, there's "product placing". On TV, the typical block of ads is 6 minutes. The internet is crammed full of ads. And forget about email-125 messages, about 10 non ads. Why am I getting email ads for $20 off Uber, I've never used it in my life.
I really think we have a right not to be hounded by advertising
(Putting my soap box away).

I'm getting tired of advertising. It's ads, ads, ads, ads. You watch a movie, there's "product placing". On TV, the typical block of ads is 6 minutes. The internet is crammed full of ads. And forget about email-125 messages, about 10 non ads. Why am I getting email ads for $20 off Uber, I've never used it in my life.
I really think we have a right not to be hounded by advertising
(Putting my soap box away).
Time for you to download AdBlock!
It's free, and, it works.

Last edited:
I do get sick of the ads during TV programmes, once you could make a quick cuppa while they were prattling on, now you can almost make a three course meal ! And, if it’s not ads, it trailers for up and coming programmes

Are you willing to pay for your use of an email? TV and Radio companies provide the public with free entertainment. They make their money by selling advertising. I record all the TV shows I watch, then when playing them back I Fast Forward, through all ads...works well and is no cost to me.

We fast forward through ads on TV, as we record everything. I can delete email ads faster than a speeding bullet. As for ad block, I am very selective about which sites to block. Would senior forums exist, if everyone used ad block?

That Frito Variety Pack commercial with the guy in the moving chair distributing packets of Frito-Lay Products is squeezed in between every commercial break on some channels sometimes twice or more in the same break. Enough already.

TV ads give me plenty of time to go to the bathroom, etc. I use Adblock on the computer, and it blocks 99% of that stuff. Some of the internet news sites don't work with the blocker, but a quick search with Google quickly finds another site that shows the news. There are some TV ads that are so ridiculous that I vow to Never use their product or service.

I cut my cable over 22 years ago and don't miss commercial TV at all. I use Adblock on my computer so see very little advertising. I refuse to look at microsoft news since they are pushing one thing or another. Yes, the quality of TV has been flushed down the toilet years ago. Many people have become consumer zombies starring at their "idiot" boxes. What a way to live?

I don't like ads but I'm willing to put up with them to get what I want at a lower rate (i.e. Internet, email, Google etc). Only watch sports and my best game is world football (soccer). It's continuous so no ads.

I don't click on ads and can't recall if I ever bought anything based on an ad. I guess if the economy depended on me, the country would have gone bankrupted long ago.

Last edited:
I got rid of my television 10 years ago. Central to that decision were the ads, but there were other issues as well. Besides being distracting, ads are insulting. People who care nothing at all about us, are vying for our attention, and they won't leave us alone. Repetitive exposure is a type of brainwashing aimed at breaking us down until we buy something we never needed. The idea that someone is trying to do this to me is insulting. I don't think I am affected, but how would anyone know when they have been brainwashed? And of course, all that advertising drives up the price of products and adds to inflation.

So I got rid of my TV thinking I could make do with the Internet, and now the Internet is worse than what I remember about television. Google a question about something you want to know, and the first 20 hits are trying to sell you something. The psychologists have masterminded the net with constant interruptions so that sometimes you can't read a paragraph without three pop ups plastered right in the middle of what you are trying to understand. Some of it is useless click bait. This is not conducive to learning, and the end result is a society of dumb and constantly distracted robot consumers who react rather than think. It's the perfect society created by capitalism.

This is not defending communism. I don't like that either. I guess every society and government is invaded by self serving fraudsters, and evil people figuring out how to feather their own beds at everyone else's expense. Welcome to humanity. I try to look at it with a sense of humor. If you can't do anything about it, think of it as one 24/7 reality show that never stops.

TV ads give me plenty of time to go to the bathroom, etc. I use Adblock on the computer, and it blocks 99% of that stuff. Some of the internet news sites don't work with the blocker, but a quick search with Google quickly finds another site that shows the news. There are some TV ads that are so ridiculous that I vow to Never use their product or service.
Axios and AP have become two of my favorite online sites for news and both work with ad blocker. I also like BBC which gives a little bit of a different perspective.

It is annoying when they show the same ads over and over again. I suppose it's because they are sponsoring the programme. What I find most annoying is the frequency of them. Every ten minutes or so during the most popular programmes is excessive.

I use Ad Blocker on my computer so don't have to put up with many ads online with the exception of fakebook. I use Amazon Prime and Amazon's Firestick for television and that is full of ads. But for what I pay for it I have to put up with it. Like others said, I do other things while the ads are on.

One of the features that drew me to Netflix is that they were ad-free(unlike Hulu); now I hear that Netflix will be sneaking in ads, to make up for their decline in revenue. :mad:
Hulu has an ad free option, but it costs $12.99/month (almost double the add option). It was worth every penny for me. I don't recall seeing one ad on Hulu. I also liked Hulu better than Netflix, but it's a rather subtle preference. It takes me a month or two to find the worthwhile stuff on a streaming service. When there's nothing left to interest me, I take some time off and watch from my private library before I try a different service. I only buy one streaming service at a time. I'm not a loyal supporter of any one of them.

Hulu has an ad free option, but it costs $12.99/month (almost double the add option). It was worth every penny for me. I don't recall seeing one ad on Hulu. I also liked Hulu better than Netflix, but it's a rather subtle preference. It takes me a month or two to find the worthwhile stuff on a streaming service. When there's nothing left to interest me, I take some time off and watch from my private library before I try a different service. I only buy one streaming service at a time. I'm not a loyal supporter of any one of them.
I wasn't aware of the ad free option, I may give Hulu a second look.

Back