In home elevator or a chair lift to avoid walking stairs.

kaemicha

I had my house built 12 years ago. It's a 3 story loft and I spend 1/2 my day upstairs and the other part, at night, downstairs.

I have to have two surgeries in the next couple of months and I cannot bare the thought of being stuck downstairs in the guest room ie, sick room

Does anyone have a stair lift or an elevator in their house? If so, does it work for you and your needs?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I live in a one story home, but a church I used to belong to had one. Seemed to work OK. I have used the indoor elevator lift in the past. I guess it would depend on the layout of your house, and what fits into your budget. I would check to see if there are any rehab centers in your area, that have them and would allow you to look at them and try one. I have used both, and preferred the elevator. But that is me. Both would have weight limits, with the elevator holding more. I am a heavier person, so that is something I, personally would have to consider .
I wonder, if your doctor calls it medically necessary, would your insurance pay part of it?

I had my house built 12 years ago. It's a 3 story loft and I spend 1/2 my day upstairs and the other part, at night, downstairs.

I have to have two surgeries in the next couple of months and I cannot bare the thought of being stuck downstairs in the guest room ie, sick room

Does anyone have a stair lift or an elevator in their house? If so, does it work for you and your needs?

Two & a 1/2 years ago I got a stair walker installed at my parents house. They live(d) in a two story house which has a very steep set of stairs and they were having a hard time climbing them. When they did grocery shopping they’d go up the stairs one bag at a time.

After my moms first stroke she couldn’t climb up and down the stairs any more so I organized to have this installed in their house which enabled them to stay in their house much longer. It’s been a total life saver for them. A VERY valuable feature and it’s never failed or broken down. It even works during an electrical black out and holds a LOT of weight.

Last edited:
I live in a one story home, but a church I used to belong to had one. Seemed to work OK. I have used the indoor elevator lift in the past. I guess it would depend on the layout of your house, and what fits into your budget. I would check to see if there are any rehab centers in your area, that have them and would allow you to look at them and try one. I have used both, and preferred the elevator. But that is me. Both would have weight limits, with the elevator holding more. I am a heavier person, so that is something I, personally would have to consider .
I wonder, if your doctor calls it medically necessary, would your insurance pay part of it?
Thank you for your great advice. I met with my builder yesterday and he said he would do an elevator that would go from the garage to the loft which would be three stories, take about a month and a half to do and would cost over 20 K. I love my house and I don’t really want it disfigured buy one of those chairs that take you up and down But I think I might have to get one
Or, I could do the top floors elevator in the basemen in the chair
As you can tell I’m still running this around in my mind about what to do but I have to decide soon because I’m barely making it up and down the stairs right now

Two & a 1/2 years ago I got a stair walker installed at my parents house. They live(d) in a two story house which has a very steep set of stairs and they were having a hard time climbing them. When they did grocery shopping they’d go up the stairs one bag at a time.

After my moms first stroke she couldn’t climb up and down the stairs any more so I organized to have this installed in their house which enabled them to stay in their house much longer. It’s been a total life saver for them. A VERY valuable feature and it’s never failed or broken down. It even works during an electrical black out and holds a LOT of weight.
How long did that installation take do you remember?

How long did that installation take do you remember?
Not that long at all. I was quite surprised at how quickly it was installed. It took about an hour and I think cost about $800 Canadian. I’m not sure exactly how many steps there are. Maybe 17 or 18.? The chair folds up out of the way so the stairs can be used as regular stairs for those not needing it and it has a remote switch for both ends.

You’re welcome! 😏

Last edited:
Not that long at all. I was quite surprised at how quickly it was installed. It took about an hour and I think cost about $800 Canadian. I’m not sure exactly how many steps there are. Maybe 17 or 18.? The chair folds up out of the way so the stairs can be used as regular stairs for those not needing it and it has a remote switch for both ends.

You’re welcome! 😏
This is GREAT info! Thank you. I didn't know the chairs could fold up. That makes them a bit more desirable now. What great news. More thanks!!

Before spending a significant amount of money on what sounds like a short term issue I would look at rearranging/moving the furniture to allow you to live on one level of the home for a couple of months while you recuperate.

Good luck!
Thank you but I want the elevator/chair to avoid being stuck downstairs. I live mostly upstairs. I will probably have to be in the downstairs guest room for a while but I want my room. Darn!!

Thank you for your great advice. I met with my builder yesterday and he said he would do an elevator that would go from the garage to the loft which would be three stories, take about a month and a half to do and would cost over 20 K. I love my house and I don’t really want it disfigured buy one of those chairs that take you up and down But I think I might have to get one
Or, I could do the top floors elevator in the basemen in the chair
As you can tell I’m still running this around in my mind about what to do but I have to decide soon because I’m barely making it up and down the stairs right now

I am surprised it is only about 20K. I would think it would be much more.

I would just go with the elevator and be done with it.
Just do the one time solution and the problem is permanently solved.

If you do a stair lift and further down the road you find that you can no longer use it very well or get tired of the hassle of making multiple trips up and down to get groceries and other items upstairs you will be getting the elevator anyway.

There are some items that you cant take up/down safely or easily with a chair lift.
Some items cant be taken with a chair lift but can be taken up/down with an elevator

Costs more to do the chair lift and then later do the elevator too!
With the elevator you can stay in your home forever.

Last edited:
I am surprised it is only about 20K. I would think it would be much more.

I would just go with the elevator and be done with it.
Just do the one time solution and the problem is permanently solved.

If you do a stair lift and further down the road you find that you can no longer use it very well or get tired of the hassle of making multiple trips up and down to get groceries and other items upstairs you will be getting the elevator anyway.

There are some items that you cant take up/down safely or easily with a chair lift.
Some items cant be taken with a chair lift but can be taken up/down with an elevator

Costs more to do the chair lift and then later do the elevator too!
With the elevator you can stay in your home forever.
I would rather have the elevator but what's bothering me is the construction. I'm already stressed about the surgeries and having people in my house, with a lot of dust and noise, makes me more nervous. I would rent a place for a month but that's not convenient. Still, I'd rather have an elevator.

The construction could be a nightmare even for a few days. Know what you mean. Once we had a kitchen redo job that was supposed to take 6 days, wound up taking 5 weeks! We've about given up rehab projects that involve the men being in here day after day for a week or two - unless we have to of course...lol.

Also, you wouldn't want to get caught in an elevator if the power went off...good to be sure the elevator you'd choose has a back up generator or battery of some kind and that could add to the costs. Home elevators need regular maintenance checks as all elevators. My husband is a retired electrical engineer and we used to talk about elevator issues from time to time. It seems "cool" to have one, but the practicality long term can be an issue. Know of those that have them and don't even use them as dumbwaiters anymore in their homes.

https://www.nationwidelifts.ca/t-stuck-in-an-elevator-during-a-power-outage.php

Probably not suitable for this situation but remember that a ramp with a railing, even a steep one, is easier to walk than steps - both up and down.

I owned a lake cabin with a two story elevator in it. I needed it to go down to the basement to do laundry. We owned the cabin for 7 years and the elevator worked about half the time. When it wasn't working, it was difficult to get the elevator repairman to come to fix it because he was two hours away. It cost several hundred dollars when he did show up. It cost additional money for parts and repairs.

I have been stuck in the elevator between floors. The light in the elevator went out at those times and the doors were locked from the outside and inside. I had to take a tool {that we kept inside the elevator} and manually disengage the lock, open the door, and scream for help. With help, I could either climb up to the main floor or down to the basement floor, depending on where it stopped. A disabled person would have to be rescued in this situation.

My husband needed to be aware that I was using the elevator. We didn't ride it together, in case it got stuck. I wouldn't even think of using it when he wasn't home. I used the stairs when I could. I stayed on the main floor when I didn't feel safe using the stairs. I never trusted the elevator and wouldn't buy another house with one in it.

Probably not suitable for this situation but remember that a ramp with a railing, even a steep one, is easier to walk than steps - both up and down.
I disagree; a steep ramp would definitely not be easier to walk than steps. And who is going to put a ramp from one floor of their house to another??

Also, you wouldn't want to get caught in an elevator if the power went off...good to be sure the elevator you'd choose has a back up generator or battery of some kind and that could add to the costs.
Especially if you're claustrophobic like me. I can ride elevators fine for short periods, but any sign of being stuck or it's too slow to open the door and I start panicking. Any long term, like hours or days, problem would make me a straight jacket candidate.

I think poster should just move to a more practical location, she'll only be getting older and feebler as time goes on.

In our new home, we had the owner’s suite built on the first floor. We had a second suite built on the second floor, but just a bit smaller.

I had a stair lift built for my Mom in her home. She wasn’t sure about it at first, but after a few weeks, she loved it. We never considered an elevator. The installer did all of his measurements prior to the installation. When he came to install it, I believe he was only in the home about two hours.

My mom would have freaked out if the elevator would have broke down with her in it, even though she had a live-in housekeeper/caretaker. What would the caretaker do, except call 911?

I’m glad you asked this question. We are considering downsizing to something. Not sure just what yet, but this is something that should be considered if we decide to build again. It won’t be an elevator. My wife would freak out too if it broke down while she was in it. Maybe go to having everything on one floor.

Maybe go to having everything on one floor.
My house got built brand new for me with my decorating choices (track house). It is all on one floor, there are no steps from the driveway to the front door, all the handles are lever types, the hall is big enough for a wheelchair. I was told by the builder that they were required by law to make the houses accessible to the handicapped. I would never consider a house with more than one floor, or at least have one bedroom on the first floor. Old people have trouble using stairs and even young people get sick or break a leg and would have trouble using stairs.

The construction could be a nightmare even for a few days. Know what you mean. Once we had a kitchen redo job that was supposed to take 6 days, wound up taking 5 weeks! We've about given up rehab projects that involve the men being in here day after day for a week or two - unless we have to of course...lol.

Also, you wouldn't want to get caught in an elevator if the power went off...good to be sure the elevator you'd choose has a back up generator or battery of some kind and that could add to the costs. Home elevators need regular maintenance checks as all elevators. My husband is a retired electrical engineer and we used to talk about elevator issues from time to time. It seems "cool" to have one, but the practicality long term can be an issue. Know of those that have them and don't even use them as dumbwaiters anymore in their homes.

https://www.nationwidelifts.ca/t-stuck-in-an-elevator-during-a-power-outage.php
This Really Helps me. The minute I got to maintenance I decided a big No to this project. Yes, the construction and hassle but I want a low maintenance house and yard so chair lift it is. I know. They need maintenance, too..but I don't want to know this right now.
Thank you for pointing this out to me.

I currently do not have either in my home but when I was renting a house my landlords had a chair lift because her husband had knee surgery. I tried it out a few times, worked great. If hubby or I need to get one, I would definitely look into getting a s chair lift. We do not have a bedroom downstairs.

Last edited:
I currently do not have either in my home but when I was renting a house my landlords had a stair lift because her husband had knee surgery. I tried it out a few times, worked great. If hubby or I need to get one, I would definitely look into getting a stair lift. We do not have a bedroom downstairs.
That makes me feel better. I've never known anyone who has one or has used one but I'm beginning to hear good things so after seeing the surgeon on Weds., I'll talk to him about it then go about finding a dealer in Portland. I guess that's what I do..find a dealer? I'm going to be learning a lot in the next few months.
Thank you for your input!
Michelle

This Really Helps me. The minute I got to maintenance I decided a big No to this project. Yes, the construction and hassle but I want a low maintenance house and yard so chair lift it is. I know. They need maintenance, too..but I don't want to know this right now.
Thank you for pointing this out to me.
You are quite welcome...would certainly hate to see you pay all that money and not get "value received". We always opt for low maintenance wherever we can find it, especially in anything involving the home! Good luck, please keep us here on the forum posted!

Back