International English - What a trip!

In this Southern part of England people either say ''wotcha''... or Wotcher.... which is a derivation of the ancient '' What Cheer ''... or people say ''alright''? ....

In the English Midlands where I'm from you will often hear Hiya. Simetimes "Hiya duck", & sometimes "hello duck" when greeting freinds & family.

It wasn't until relatively recently that I looked up why we say duck (‘duc’, ‘duk’). It seems it was first documented in Elizabethan times, and might be from an Anglo-Saxon word, "ducas", which was meant as a term of respect. Now its a mild term of enderment.

Last edited:
You're right Hollydolly. When I lived in Hampshire, I sometimes thought that you needed a letter of introduction to say "hello". I recall one day walking past a chap who was working at his car. He apologised for blocking the pavement and we struck up a conversation. Then he said, you're obviously not from here because you stopped to speak. He was from Manchester and we agreed that the locals were, if not unfriendly, at best uncommunicative.

I'm pleased that my children have not grown up with that "English reserve".

Back