Irritated with Microsoft crap right now.

Have you tried calling the Dell customer service people? They are extremely helpful and can log on to your computer and fix a software problem pretty easily and quickly.
LOL yes. Countless times I've contacted their IT people. Always Indian and I have a helluva time understanding them and they can't understand me and none of them seem to know what to do. They give me pad answers. Like go in and do this...should fix the problem. Even after you tell them you did it and it didn't work. Well go to this link and follow the same exact instructions that didn't work the first time. I finally get mad and hang up.

I bought a Chromebook 2 years ago and it's as good as new, no slowing down at all. I'm getting a bit worried now though, as I keep being reminded that it is old and very soon the updates will stop.
I would not be too worried about updates..

@Ken N Tx how well does that Chrome Book handle streaming? And how much memory does it have? Can you use a stick drive in it? Is Google the only browser it has?

@kburra I went back in and uninstalled those drivers and restarted and I still had to go back and recover the last working version. Thanks anyway. :)

@Ken N Tx how well does that Chrome Book handle streaming? And how much memory does it have? Can you use a stick drive in it? Is Google the only browser it has?
I do not stream with mine so I don't really know..Very low memory as most all goes to the cloud..You can use any browser or search engine.

I've been using different distributions of Linux for quite a long time.
Linux Mint is my favorite, and the only one I've been using for the last few years.
It does "just work," although it won't load on some computers that are designed to only use windows.
Every windows OS computer I had eventually crashed and everything on them was lost.
A big advantage of Linux, besides being easy to use, is that there has never been any problem from viruses.

on the contrary, linux does have virus problems dating back to the late 1990's and more recently better prepared software have targeted various linux oses. comparing windows and linux in the same sentence is like comparing diesel to gas engines. each has many of the same parts but operate differently. and if you lost data due to a crash then you failed to backup that data like you should have done. and linux is not as easy to use as windows.

on the contrary, linux does have virus problems dating back to the late 1990's and more recently better prepared software have targeted various linux oses. comparing windows and linux in the same sentence is like comparing diesel to gas engines. each has many of the same parts but operate differently. and if you lost data due to a crash then you failed to backup that data like you should have done. and linux is not as easy to use as windows.

Totally wrong. I've never had any issue with a virus on Linux, regardless what distribution it was. Plus I never backed up anything on Linux until recently, and never lost anything either. If I mistakenly delete something now, it's on a USB and my other computer anyway but that's never happened. And I don't save (backup) for that reason, but simply if I want to transfer it elsewhere.

Backing up on windows doesn't help anyone when the computer won't work anymore, or when you have to buy yet another version of windows (which I've never done) to get it to work again. I've had windows computers that crashed and didn't work at all anymore with windows, put Linux on them and they worked fine from then on. The only intelligent solution is to never use a crappy operating system like microsoft windows, and now the same guy designs vaccinations for people. 🤪

Some friends of mine still use windows, and I've fixed their wonky windows setups for them a number of times including turning off updates, but soon their computers are completely screwed up again because that's how windows is designed to operate. It comes with bloatware and malware by design, and is designed so you can't ever get rid of it all. Plus turn off updates, and it still keeps updating and screwing things up.

Honestly, the windows OS has kept getting worse and worse, instead of better and better like Linux.
As to being easier to use, there is no comparison. Linux is much easier to use than windows and it's also much faster.
Besides that Linux is free and the programs are free. You can download any version, or get it from Ebay on a flash drive or disk.

I still have old versions of windows running on one of my computers, never had a problem with any except going to the wrong web sites and picking up a bug, someplace I should not have been. I just reinstall the os takes a bit of time but aw really aint got mucha nutin else to do..... and you are must be a safe internet user not to have picked up a virus with linux, .......yet!
Alaeda (Virus.Linux.Alaeda) Alaeda is a non-resident virus that infects systems ELF format files in the current directory in a system running Linux.

Badbunny (Perl.Badbunny)Badbunny is the first worm that specifically targets the open-source office package OpenOffice.

Linux.OSF.8759 is a virus with backdoor capabilities that replicates on Linux systems

Vit virus (Virus.Linux.Vit.4096)Vit virus is the second known virus for Linux operating system after “Linux.Bliss”.

Staog was the first virus written specifically for systems running on Linux.1996

there are a dozen or so more!!

I currently have debian and knoppix live versions of linux!

no pc for games? wow. I keep and old machine to run all my old pc games of which I love. the newer games need a much faster and updated computer to play. bigger/faster video cards more memory and faster cpu's.. and you need to grow another hand to be able to use all the button/keystroke mouse movements....all of which means spending lots of money

I still have old versions of windows running on one of my computers, never had a problem with any except going to the wrong web sites and picking up a bug, someplace I should not have been. I just reinstall the os takes a bit of time but aw really aint got mucha nutin else to do..... and you are must be a safe internet user not to have picked up a virus with linux, .......yet!
Alaeda (Virus.Linux.Alaeda) Alaeda is a non-resident virus that infects systems ELF format files in the current directory in a system running Linux.

Badbunny (Perl.Badbunny)Badbunny is the first worm that specifically targets the open-source office package OpenOffice.

Linux.OSF.8759 is a virus with backdoor capabilities that replicates on Linux systems

Vit virus (Virus.Linux.Vit.4096)Vit virus is the second known virus for Linux operating system after “Linux.Bliss”.

Staog was the first virus written specifically for systems running on Linux.1996

there are a dozen or so more!!

I currently have debian and knoppix live versions of linux!
One instance you quoted happened 25 years ago. I admit that no OS in completely safe, common sense should prevail with users. Then again you have much larger team watching correcting problems rapidly with Linux. Whereas Apple and MS are monitored via users but the corrections are usually put before a more select team that make decisions about addressing the issues. Most times it could take months before a solution is decided upon but by then the damage is extensive and harder to eradicate.

the point of my post was in reply to the "A big advantage of Linux, besides being easy to use, is that there has never been any problem from viruses." when in fact there was and as you said no OS is safe from attack. as an addendum I had my first virus from a store bought pc game that was on a 3.5 in floppy disk. I have had a couple after that because I surfed the internet on a bad site. I dont have anti virus anti malware etc on any of my computers and I dont backup either and I have never lost data.

Up and until the first of this year, Comcast included free virus, firewall, phishing software through Norton in their pricing where I live. When they stopped supporting it, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to pay to continue their service. In March, I had my mail account compromised, so I paid for Norton. The initial price charged was about $20, or in that neighborhood. It also includes Life Lock. After the first year, the price jumps to about $125 or there about. I don’t need Life Lock because I paid for an addendum to my homeowners policy.

I do not stream with mine so I don't really know..Very low memory as most all goes to the cloud..You can use any browser or search engine.
hiya Ken! i have found that the newer Chromebooks have a lot of capability. i can stream movies, watch game streams while playing video games on a separate console. i can play some video games on this thing. i've been trying to add some fonts to it but i'm not sure if i'm doing something wrong or if it just won't let me. i am able to view many of the paid tv services. i am currently using Hulu. PlutoTV and TubiTV seem to work just fine on it. sometimes i have to go to full screen to view certain things i need for making purchases but other than that, no issues. it does periodically send updates but they're brief in nature and install on their own. they don't appear to change things much so i might stick with.

I love my 15" chromebook.....I mostly surf but can stream and play games the only negative I have found is printing....its a PITA....I've been a chromebook user for several years after much frustration with Windows, viruses and much expense on virus protection and having to buy a new computer.
Chromebook is a much simpler machine than Windows, just what I need.

I love my 15" chromebook.....I mostly surf but can stream and play games the only negative I have found is printing....its a PITA....I've been a chromebook user for several years after much frustration with Windows, viruses and much expense on virus protection and having to buy a new computer.
Ditto.....................

I agree that Windows is about as frustrating as it gets. My wife uses a chromebook and likes it. I have converted my Windows machines to Linux. The Linux allows a simpler and more straightforward environment than even Chrome.

One suggestion, if anyone still has a Windows based system that they may not be using. It is fairly easy to overwrite Windows with Linux. Linux is free to use so it doesn't cost anything to give it a try. I'm running it on computers that are over ten years old and it performs great. I can add the functionality I want (again for free) and not have to deal with all the junk that Windows imposes.

Last edited:
I have been using Ubuntu for at least 7 years. I just replaced my computer in August and this was the first time I had to install Ubuntu myself, but I did it. I uninstalled Windows from it and am so glad I did that too. The old computer still had Windows partitioned off. I always regretted that because I never used it.

Back